Checking in/out machetes?

pdmlynek

• ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

Unless there is an invisible exception that only you can read about machete's you already have your answer in your question.

Hi, original poster here!

Wow, what a firestorm of messages! Based on your messages, it is obviously my query was not clear. My bad. I apologize.

I understand that I cannot bring a machete onto the ship. I am fine with that. I think that it is a good policy not to have people on an enclosed space boozing it up and running around with machetes. Enclosed crowded spaces plus testosterone plus alcohol plus machetes do not a good mixture make.

We do not wish to have our machete with us on board, even if it would be allowed, for it has limited utility to us on the ship. We are simply interested in having it with us when we are off the ship in the ports of call.

Once again, so that I make it clear what we seek: on the ship -- no machete. Off the ship -- machete.

Reading Carnival’s policy, which states, under Prohibited Items, is the following paragraph:

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

What this means to me, if I am reading this correctly, is that a passenger cannot have a knife with him/her on board. An exception is a dive knife. If I understand correctly, a diver who wishes to bring a prohibited dive knife will at the beginning of the cruise have the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer (“GSM/CSO”) take possession of the knife. The GSM/CSO will secure the knife on board. When the ship reaches her destination where the diver wants to go diving along with his/her knife, the diver will ask the GSM/CSO for the knife so that the diver can use the knife off the ship. When the diver re-boards the ship, the knife gets back into the custody of the GSM/CSO. Is my interpretation correct, or am I totally off?

We would like to do the same with our machete. In those ports of call when we need a machete I would like the GSM/CSO on the way off the ship to give us our machete that we turned over to the GSM/CSO at the beginning of our cruise. When we re-board, we would turn the machete back to the GSM/CSO for safe keeping.

What part of "no", or "not" are you not understanding? And frankly, I STILL don't understand why you'd NEED a machete in ANY port of call??

But hey, try it. Probably you'd want to take a cheap one, so when it's confiscated and discarded, it won't be a great loss. And probably be prepared to be denied boarding. Come back and tell us what happened.

Why not just hit up the tourist shops when you get to port and buy a cheap one to use while there then ditch it when you leave (I'm sure some fine upstanding local citizen will dispose of it for you). I'm sure there's a 'Machetes-N-Things' shop at the port.;):D:p

I understand, and fully agree with, that machetes cannot be brought on board: according to Carnival’s policy, no knives with blades longer than 4” (10 cm) are allowed. The exception are recreational dive knives that must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Nothing about bringing in and checking machetes.

Your own quote from Carnival's policy answers your question. The ONLY exception to the "longer 4" blade" policy is for DIVE KNIVES!!!

And since you also state in your post quoted above that you, "..understand and fully agree with Carnival's policy, that means:

NO MACHETES!!! NO MACHETES!! NO MACHETES!!

GEESH!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP.......You have been most polite in your postings and your explanation was as clear as anyone could make it.

I think we are all trying to be equally as clear.

Leave your machete at home.

You can (most likely would) get yourselves into a pile of trouble with that lethal weapon anywhere near the ship or the ports you wish to enter carrying it.

If we've been 'had' with your joke about this, oh well............ no harm done, I suppose.

Have a great, safe cruise.

I don't see what the big deal is. They will probably store them for you till you get off the ship when you need it. I know someone who brought a long dive knife and they just held it till port.

As for the swords, many buy these type of souviniers in ports, and if they think something might be threating, they will hold it for you, Not throw it in the water.

I don't see what the big deal is. They will probably store them for you till you get off the ship when you need it. I know someone who brought a long dive knife and they just held it till port.

As for the swords, many buy these type of souviniers in ports, and if they think something might be threating, they will hold it for you, Not throw it in the water.

Hope you're not a betting man.

Archived