Checking in/out machetes?

pdmlynek

Hi, there!

This is a phenomenal site, and I am learning so much! Thank you all! I’ve got a couple of newbie questions that I could not find answers to by doing a search. We (DW, 12yo, 10yo, 8yo and I) are experienced traveler, but never cruised before, and are looking to do eastern Caribbean (i.e. scheduled to do SJU-STT-RSU-BGI-SLU-BAS-PHI-SJU) 7 nights on Carnival Victory in Nov 2010.

Question:

(3) Whenever we travel in Latin America, one of the tools that we typically bring with us is a machete. We take it with us not as a weapon (as machetes are viewed in the US) -- we stay well clear of any even remotely dangerous areas -- but as a tool when we are out hiking or driving. Yes, we’ve used it several times. I am investigating if it is possible to bring our machete with us.

I understand, and fully agree with, that machetes cannot be brought on board: according to Carnival’s policy, no knives with blades longer than 4” (10 cm) are allowed. The exception are recreational dive knives that must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Nothing about bringing in and checking machetes.

Does anyone know if we would be able to check in/out our machete with the GSM or CSO?

They wouldn't allow a pen knife with corkscrew, I cannot imagine a machete coming aboard. I do understand your dilemma, as I also keep a machete in the car. You just never know when you need to blaze a trail on the way to WalMart.

they wouldn't allow a pen knife with corkscrew, i cannot imagine a machete coming aboard. I do understand your dilemma, as i also keep a machete in the car. You just never know when you need to blaze a trail on the way to walmart.

lol.....

Some folks bought swords in Grand Cayman and when they tried to get back on board the security people promptly threw the swords into the water.I did not see this but it came straight from the person it happend to he was not a happy cruiser at the time.

(3) Whenever we travel in Latin America, one of the tools that we typically bring with us is a machete. We take it with us not as a weapon (as machetes are viewed in the US) -- we stay well clear of any even remotely dangerous areas -- but as a tool when we are out hiking or driving.

If they don't allow the machete, try bringing a 36 inch chain saw.

Uh.....no. I could perhaps see it being used when you're hiking -- but driving?? Anyway..the answer is still no.

Machetes are commonly used in Latin America in lieu of the "finger" when one is driving. Very effective tool if there is any disagreement over who has the "right-of-way". Also good for when someone is grabbing for that last box of Froot Loops at the Lido.

I understand, and fully agree with, that machetes cannot be brought on board: according to Carnival’s policy, no knives with blades longer than 4” (10 cm) are allowed. The exception are recreational dive knives that must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Nothing about bringing in and checking machetes.

Does anyone know if we would be able to check in/out our machete with the GSM or CSO?

Dive knives are fairly standard for divers, thus the exception, but machetes are not standard items for cruise pax. If you understand no knives with blade longer that 4" are allowed, why would you think that a machete could possibly be an exception?:confused:

I've seen some very detailed packing lists for things to bring but now I'm wondering if a machete needs to be added as a must have.:p

You answered your own question when you stated "I understand, and fully agree with, that machetes cannot be brought on board: according to Carnival’s policy, no knives with blades longer than 4” (10 cm) are allowed. The exception are recreational dive knives that must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Nothing about bringing in and checking machetes."

A machetes is a knife, is longer than 4" long and is not considered a recreational knife . What part of this don't you understand ????

I do understand your dilemma, as I also keep a machete in the car. You just never know when you need to blaze a trail on the way to WalMart.

I use mine in the checkout line. It's unfortunate that they take them away in airports, as I would enjoy boarding before the first-class passengers.

You may want to post your question on the Carnival board.

I recently read that Carnival has been experiencing a huge lack of steak knives and is requesting that all who plan to dine in the steakhouse kindly bring one machete per person, no sharing allowed.

After dinner, kindly place your machete on the table to the left of your salad fork, blade facing to the right, and the galley crew will be happy to personally wash, dry and deliver your machete(s) back to your cabin within one hour after leaving the restaurant.

A tip is requested upon delivery, please.

In all seriousness, I would be surprised if they let you bring the machete onboad. You should follow up either your travel agent or the cruiseline directly-ask for written reply, especially in case they yes and bring it with you for embarkation.

A couple years ago, during an excursion in Alaska we found 3 rusty railroad spikes (when polished up, they make good paper weights). Upon boarding the ship, security impounded them until the last afternoon of the cruise. This was on HAL, but it shows just how much they have clamped down on anything that could be a potentially lethal weapon.

Hi, original poster here!

Wow, what a firestorm of messages! Based on your messages, it is obviously my query was not clear. My bad. I apologize.

I understand that I cannot bring a machete onto the ship. I am fine with that. I think that it is a good policy not to have people on an enclosed space boozing it up and running around with machetes. Enclosed crowded spaces plus testosterone plus alcohol plus machetes do not a good mixture make.

We do not wish to have our machete with us on board, even if it would be allowed, for it has limited utility to us on the ship. We are simply interested in having it with us when we are off the ship in the ports of call.

Once again, so that I make it clear what we seek: on the ship -- no machete. Off the ship -- machete.

Reading Carnival’s policy, which states, under Prohibited Items, is the following paragraph:

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

What this means to me, if I am reading this correctly, is that a passenger cannot have a knife with him/her on board. An exception is a dive knife. If I understand correctly, a diver who wishes to bring a prohibited dive knife will at the beginning of the cruise have the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer (“GSM/CSO”) take possession of the knife. The GSM/CSO will secure the knife on board. When the ship reaches her destination where the diver wants to go diving along with his/her knife, the diver will ask the GSM/CSO for the knife so that the diver can use the knife off the ship. When the diver re-boards the ship, the knife gets back into the custody of the GSM/CSO. Is my interpretation correct, or am I totally off?

We would like to do the same with our machete. In those ports of call when we need a machete I would like the GSM/CSO on the way off the ship to give us our machete that we turned over to the GSM/CSO at the beginning of our cruise. When we re-board, we would turn the machete back to the GSM/CSO for safe keeping.

Getting a machete onboard may be the least of your worries.

There are several countries in the Caribbean that would have you arrested if you tried to carry a machete ashore.

You may want to google the question with their governments.

Archived