luggage tags

aphough

They are in your edocuments; maybe the last page. Print them out, write your name on, fold up, and I usually tape.

If we are flying, I put them on once I've retrieved my luggage at the airport.

If you don't print them out, they have them at the port and just put your cabin # on.

Most cruise lines have stopped mailing luggage tags. When you get to the port they will give you tags to attach to your luggage. I think it's possible to download and laminate tags from your cruise line's website but in any event, they should be attached just before you hand your luggage over at the dock. Have a wonderful trip!

I see you will be sailing Carnival. Go to Carnival.com, log-in and it should be the last page of your FunPass documents (that you hopefully already completed to make check-in a breeze). It is only one page, so when you go to print it just print out however many you need. Have fun!

This might be a "stupid" question but do you put the luggage tags on before the trip?? If so where do you get the info. for them?

Never a stupid question.

We cruise Princess and they typically give us more luggage tags than we need. I have on my luggage a tag with my name and address (I use my employer's address - not my home address) and then I put on the cruise tag filled out with my cruise information.

If my luggage is lost, the airline will know where to send my bags. In the likely event that my cruise tag falls off (this has happened more than once to me), I make sure I have a second set of cruise tags that I can put on the day of embarkation.

We put our cruise line luggage tags on before leaving the house. If our luggage is lost or delayed in flight, I would like it to be sent on to the ship rather than have it waiting for me back home.

This actually happened to us in Alaska back in 2006. Long story short: We had a pre-cruise land package; had 2 pieces of luggage "lost"; they showed up 2 1/2 days later in Anchorage as we were preparing to board the motorcoach for Whittier and the Sapphire Princess. The person who brought it said the airline saw the "Princess" cruise tags, and called Princess to find out where to take it. When we asked where it would have ended up had we NOT had the cruise tags on, we were told "Probably back at your front door!"

Others will disagree, but ours go on before we're even out the door. ;)

PS: We also put the same information (including cruise info) on a type-written sheet inside each bag, just in case....

Since we fly and always stay a couple of days precruise -- our regular luggage tags have the name and address of the hotel on it.

When we are ready to go to the pier -- then I put on the ship's luggage tags.

When we are ready to leave the ship, I change our regular tags that had the hotel address on it to ones that have our home address on them.

I would agree with putting your cruise tags on your luggage if you're flying in day-of. I know that several cruise lines will keep an eye peeled for your bags if they get separated from you (happened once when we caught the second leg of a really short connecting flight, bags came on the next flight out of that airport and where waiting outside of our door after dinner on the first night).

PS: We also put the same information (including cruise info) on a type-written sheet inside each bag, just in case....

EXCELLENT idea. I worked at Princess in Seattle for many years. The year the Star Princess ran aground in Juneau was a nightmare. We had thousands of pieces of luggage at an airplan terminal in Seattle. You would not believe how many people do not have luggage tags on their bags.

We were opening up luggage trying to find out what luggage belonged where and to whom. Those that had identification inside their bags were a blessing. I highly recommend identification INSIDE the bags.

Also...those little yarn pom pom's - uhhh....on a cruise, I think everyone has those. We were in pom pom hell that year. LOL :D

I agree with duplicate info inside and outside of luggage, I also type a miniature itinerary and put in an outside pocket of luggage. If you have a built in luggage tag on your luggage, I put a card that says 'see upper outside pocket for itinerary'. We actually picked up someone's identical bag (reminds me to check tags on bag or put on an easy identifier) and when we got to our hotel, there was a message waiting for us from the person who had our bag!

We accidentally took someone else's luggage along with ours home from a cruise. It had no information and no tags. My Dad had pointed it out as theirs (among a sea of identical black luggage with same brand). We had a difficult time getting it returned to the cruise line. Since that incident, we put a copy of our itinerary with dates and name of ship, hotel and phone number of ship and hotel in an outside pocket, and one laying on top inside each suitcase with just a last name and cell phone number. Doesn't tell them where we live but with the cell phone number, they can eventually get in touch with us and with the hotel and ships information, if it gets separated from us, we can be "reunited" with it.

<snip>

We had a difficult time getting it returned to the cruise line. Since that incident, we put a copy of our itinerary with dates and name of ship, hotel and phone number of ship and hotel in an outside pocket, and one laying on top inside each suitcase with just a last name and cell phone number. Doesn't tell them where we live but with the cell phone number, they can eventually get in touch with us and with the hotel and ships information, if it gets separated from us, we can be "reunited" with it.

That is what we do...... Itinerary and cell phone number in every outside pocket of every bag and a copy placed on top inside bag.

We always place a list of the hotel we are staying at pre-cruise, phone number, etc and then the ship we are going on with date. We put our tags on before we leave home and cover them with packing tape...only a knife will remove them. We have often found that airline people notice the tags and mark the luggage "PRIORITY" and the luggage stays together and often the first down the luggage chute.

Archived