Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

There appear to be more than the regular number of dress code threads at the moment, and, as usual, some of them are a little heated. One of the issues that comes up regularly has me wondering....

Why do some men hate wearing suits? Why would men rather wear sports jackets than suit jackets?

My husband tells me that his suits are as comfortable as a sports jacket and slacks. But he says he hates wearing a tie, and if given a chance, will wear a thin silk crewneck sweater/tee with his suit. (He looks very smart in this). There is no question that he looks "more dressed up" in the suit, even sans tie, than in the sports jacket.

I am honestly quite perplexed as to why so many of the recent cruisers who are new to Celebrity object to wearing suits? (or why their SO's are objecting on their behalf).

A suit jacket and matching slacks don't weigh more than a sports jacket and slacks. They don't take up any more room in the suitcase. A smart casual shirt can be worn as easily with suit trousers as with dress slacks (for double-duty on smart casual evenings).

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I think it is a reasonable question (being female I won't offer an opinion), but I'm fairly sure you will get another thread that turns into a debate!! There's always hope though!!

Elena,

I'm NOT the norm on this issue. I live in Florida and down here there is nothing formal (black tie) except for special fund-raising events.

The last time I put on a tie was for my wedding when I wore my tux. Since then I've worn my tux many ties just without the tie. I feel that a mans tie is really a noose!

Having said that I just purchased a new tux that I'll wear on my two upcoming Celebrity cruises sans the tie.

On a practical note my suits wrinkle a lot when packed in my bag but the sports jacket doesn't

Edited by Mr. Luckytoo

I think it is a reasonable question (being female I won't offer an opinion), but I'm fairly sure you will get another thread that turns into a debate!! There's always hope though!!

It will be interesting to see if men have anything to tell us. I certainly welcome anything that women have to say on the topic.

In my case, I have a great deal of sympathy for men. I would HATE to wear a stiff collar and a tie, and if it were required of me, I would have launched a movement years ago to have a silk crew neck accepted as an "acceptable and appropriate" alternative to a tie for formal wear :D:D:D.

Because suits are stupid and that was the reason I moved my business to Oceania and Azamara.Why am I going to have cruise line tell me that I need to dress for formal night when I am a paying customer- it should be formal optional!Oceania is booked solid-guess that should an indicator of what customers want!

Elena,

I'm NOT the norm on this issue. I live in Florida and down here there is nothing formal (black tie) except for special fund-raising events.

The last time I put on a tie was for my wedding when I wore my tux. Since then I've worn my tux many ties just without the tie. I feel that a mans tie is really a noose!

Having said that I just purchased a new tux that I'll wear on my two upcoming Celebrity cruises sans the tie.

On a practical note my suits wrinkle a lot when packed in my bag but the sports jacket doesn't

Aha. Now there is an answer that I haven't heard before, and that makes sense to me.

(as an aside....have you tried packing your suit in dry cleaner bags? It works really well for us, then we just put DH's suite in the bathroom while he showers. Any residual wrinkles fall right out of a summer weight wool suit.

Alternately, we don't have his suit drycleaned before we leave home, then get it cleaned on the ship. Same prices as at home.)

Edited by elena7seas

I'll chime in.....

My DH is 6'4" and works out daily. He is a trim "big guy". His coat size is a 50 extra long. Between the suit coat, suit pants, dress shirts, ties, belt, fancy socks and SIZE 13 dress shoes, his suitcase is then HALF FULL with clothes he'll wear for just a few hours (and that is the part he hates!) :o

I can tell you my personal take on it - I have to wear a suit and tie to work every day, and while I don't mind the suit, the tie is just an uncomfortable knot around my neck. I usually loosen it once I'm through the door. Also, a tie is an invitation to a dry cleaning bill (one advantage to tuxes, bowties don't fall into your soup!). It's boiling hot this summer in NY, and while my female colleagues get to wear summer work clothes, including short/sleeveless, sandals, etc., the men have to wear the exact same clothes we wear in January. For me at least, a tux is a variation on the routine.

Women, on the other hand, don't wear cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. on a daily basis - unless they have an amazingly glamorous job! ;)

My two cents...

I'll chime in.....

My DH is 6'4" and works out daily. He is a trim "big guy". His coat size is a 50 extra long. Between the suit coat, suit pants, dress shirts, ties, belt, fancy socks and SIZE 13 dress shoes, his suitcase is then HALF FULL with clothes he'll wear for just a few hours (and that is the part he hates!) :o

So, if I might ask a question respectfully: If he were to go to the MDR in a sports jacket and tie, rather than a suit and tie, he'd still need all of those things you listed, except for the suit jacket, right, as he would need some kind of pants with the sports coat? I assume you are indicating that he would be bringing a sports coat anyway (otherwise the suit jacket could replace the sports jacket too).

Just to be clear, my question here is about the desire to wear a sports coat and pants rather than a suit.

I am not talking about people who want to wear "smart casual and above" (no jacket required) every night, and therefore avoid the MDR on formal nights.

And truly, I am not trying to debate the issue, but genuinely trying to understand.

I'll chime in.....

....this is me.....except I am size 12 shoes. So the only extra thing I take is the jacket.....to wear with regualr pants, shirts and shoes I can wear other nights. Since we are Princess Elite passengers, we also get free laundry, so I can get the stuff cleaned for other nights.

I personally feel that sports coats can look just as dressy as some suits.

I was going to bring my two favorite sports coats for our November sailing. My spouse thought that 1 sports coat and 1 suit would be better. When I asked her why she said "You look much better in a suit".

I'm not sure but I will take it as a compliment. After all she is rarely wrong. A Suit it will be.

I can tell you my personal take on it - I have to wear a suit and tie to work every day, and while I don't mind the suit, the tie is just an uncomfortable knot around my neck. I usually loosen it once I'm through the door. Also, a tie is an invitation to a dry cleaning bill (one advantage to tuxes, bowties don't fall into your soup!). It's boiling hot this summer in NY, and while my female colleagues get to wear summer work clothes, including short/sleeveless, sandals, etc., the men have to wear the exact same clothes we wear in January. For me at least, a tux is a variation on the routine.

Women, on the other hand, don't wear cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. on a daily basis - unless they have an amazingly glamorous job! ;)

My two cents...

Aha...another new insight. Boredom with dressing in the same thing every day is a factor too.

You have my sympathies where the tie is concerned.

You need a Bermuda professional dress code for summer in New York! :D At least on cruise ships, the dining room is always well air-conditioned, so at least your suit/tux shouldn't cause you any thermal discomfort.

I'm starting to add these up, and the objections seem to be more psychic than physical (except for that knot around your neck). Hmmm.

Does it help to know we women think you all look gorgeous in a suit?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm an old guy. My business does not require that I wear a coat and tie or even slacks. I dress up rarely. I don't mind the tie as much as I do buttoning my shirt collar. Even when I can find a shirt with a collar big enough, I still feel as though I have to turn my entire body rather than just my head to see what's going on to my left or right. Having said that, I love putting on a suit or tux every now and again because I really look good when I do. My wife likes it and that's good enough for me. When I reach the point that I just don't want to put on the tie, I'll probably go somewhere on vacation that requires that I not wear one.:o

It has been years since I wore a suit because I wear a tux on cruises. There is still one in the closet for "the End'.

Practical nature:

At one time suits were sold with two pair of pants because the pants wore out much faster than the jacket. A sports coat also offers more flexibility with the style of pants one can wear. The suit is much more limiting; pants worn out, the suit jacket is discarded as well.

It is also obvious to me that women have less and less constricting their neck area unless it happens to be jewelry... ;)

I'm of the opinion that if a guy wants to be noticed (it's the male peacock that has the plumage), nothing attracts more attention, than being well dressed. And I find if I'm well dressed, I feel great, despite the tight collar and tie.

It has been years since I wore a suit because I wear a tux on cruises. There is still one in the closet for "the End'.

Practical nature:

At one time suits were sold with two pair of pants because the pants wore out much faster than the jacket. A sports coat also offers more flexibility with the style of pants one can wear. The suit is much more limiting; pants worn out, the suit jacket is discarded as well.

It is also obvious to me that women have less and less constricting their neck area unless it happens to be jewelry... ;)

I'm of the opinion that if a guy wants to be noticed (it's the male peacock that has the plumage), nothing attracts more attention, than being well dressed. And I find if I'm well dressed, I feel great, despite the tight collar and tie.

Hi Xcellent:

We have cruised with you once, and it is true, you do look fabulous in your tux, and you cut a striking path through the dining room. I might even say, you stood out in a crowd of well-dressed men. :)

As to jewelry, well, jewelry constrictions tend to be something a woman is willing to put up with...:p

Speaking as a man, may I say that I do not like wearing suits, they are uncomfortable hot and heavy. Okay, so I wear an undershirt, then put a long sleeve shirt over that, a shirt, that by the way, buttons tightly around your neck and wrists, kind of feels like you are being choked and handcuffed. Then you put a piece of cloth around your neck called a tie to help you remember that choking feeling. The silk cloth tie thing always gets dirty no matter how neat your try to be while eating. Then on top of that you put on a third hotter and hevier layer of clothing called a jacket that makes you feel claustrophobic. This is after laying by the pool most of the day getting a little sun. Lets not forget thoes heavy size 14 dress shoes that must be shined and cleaned, oh the agony! :D Before you ask, I do not wear clothing that is too small for me, thats just the way I feel. My DW and I have a deal, we do one of the 2 formal nights for her, in my most formal get-up and the other we go to the buffet in shorts in flipflops for me. Works for us! Sport Coat or Jacket it does not matter just another layer of heat! Hurl all the flames you wish my way, as you can tell I must have thick skin !

Ken

Edited by A1A

To answer your question as to why some men prefer a sports jacket & tie to a suit & tie: I think the feeling of a sport jacket, even with a tie, is much more casual, so it may FEEL more "vacation=y".

A practical answer that I see is that a man is more likely to wear his sport jacket than a suit on the plane, therefore saving luggage space. It can also be worn other evenings on the ship and/or during pre and/or post stays in cities.

(lots of and/or's!!)

Speaking as a man, may I say that I do not like wearing suits, they are uncomfortable hot and heavy. Okay, so I wear an undershirt, then put a long sleeve shirt over that, a shirt, that by the way, buttons tightly around your neck and wrists, kind of feels like you are being choked and handcuffed. Then you put a piece of cloth around your neck called a tie to help you remember that choking feeling. The silk cloth tie thing always gets dirty no matter how neat your try to be while eating. Then on top of that you put on a third hotter and hevier layer of clothing called a jacket that makes you feel claustrophobic. This is after laying by the pool most of the day getting a little sun. Lets not forget thoes heavy size 14 dress shoes that must be shined and cleaned, oh the agony! :D Before you ask, I do not wear clothing that is too small for me, thats just the way I feel. My DW and I have a deal, we do one of the 2 formal nights for her, in my most formal get-up and the other we go to the buffet in shorts in flipflops for me. Works for us! Sport Coat or Jacket it does not matter just another layer of heat! Hurl all the flames you wish my way, as you can tell I must have thick skin !

Ken

No flames, but maybe you should get yourself fitted for some nice summer weight clothing that fits properly so that you can be more comfortable.