Background music everywhere?

trevgbb

Just returned from the round UK cruise on the QV, a fantastic ship and cruise with everything up to the standard we have come to expect from Cunard, EXCEPT piped background music seems to be even more prevalent than on previous cruises, it is usually too loud and inappropriate to the setting and it was difficult to find quiet areas to relax in.

Live music could also be a problem, noticeably in the Winter Garden area late afternoon where many people were relaxing or taking afternoon tea when the Reggae band would strike up and drive most people away.

I have no problem with music in the proper setting, the various lounges around the ship with pianist or harpist playing, Hemispheres for late night DJ or dance music, and of course the theatre where one night we had the Halle Orchestra and the great shows the Cunard Singers and Dancers put on.

But why do we need this piped music everywhere? are other lines as bad or even worse?

or is the problem that you don't LIKE the music chosen? If you only like classical music, or Big Band, or Frank Sinatra, you will always be unhappy with the music. If you only like apple pie, you will always be unhappy with the food.

And "the younger set" should not be disparaged any more than "the older set" should...

or is the problem that you don't LIKE the music chosen? If you only like classical music, or Big Band, or Frank Sinatra, you will always be unhappy with the music. If you only like apple pie, you will always be unhappy with the food.

And "the younger set" should not be disparaged any more than "the older set" should...

No one is disparaging the " younger set" - simply noting that younger people seem to enjoy the continual sound of music more than older people. The problem is that, if continual music is provided, those who appreciate silence lose out; while if the ship provides areas of silence, those who want music can provide their own, given the unintrusive capabilities of things like ipod's. Sadly, it is virtually impossible to provide one's own silence.

"those who appreciate silence lose out"

With all the technology available today, the younger person may be more likely to be quietly relaxing with earphones than the older person who hasn't yet had the opportunity to use the technology. This means that younger people ARE developing an appreciation of silence. Also, if I dislike a particular piece of music, it will always seem louder and the tune more annoying than if I am enjoying it.

In other words - live and let live, and let's get away from the usual stereotypes :-) That being said, I think the cruise lines should pick their spots based on traffic to various locations, and use their musical talent selectively.

Being one of the older generation mentioned above, I wear a hearing aid. Basically a hearing aid is an expensive small amplifier. It amplifies most everything to some degree, so in many cases background music is noise that makes it harder for me to hear the spoken word. This is of course the same wether the background is conversation, music, motor noise etc. Some of the noise is unavoidable and you live with it, some can be filtered out but I envy those who can ignore background music because it seems to be everywhere. Bill

Be glad you weren't on the 3 day Carnival cruise I took. It was nothing but "Thump-thump-thump, shake your sloppy drunk butt" music the whole 3 days.

...but then, the 3-day Carnival cruises are known as "Booze Cruises" so I would expect nothing less. ;):D Nothing against them if that's what someone is looking for, but not me! My very first Carnival cruise was a 3-day, and I can totally relate to what you're saying. Never did THAT again!

Archived