"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

Just a thought...what if, in addition to an individual purchasing the beverage package, there be an option for a "package" beverage package...an "up charge" for guests sharing a stateroom, being able to buy a "package" for more than 1. This could possibly discourage the "acceptable" stealing, and certainly still provide enough profit for the cruise line. Also, if one were caught "sharing" and did not buy the package for more than 1, there could be consequences established by the cruiseline...maybe just charge to the room the price of the "shared" drink!

I thought I'd weigh in to remind people who want to share drink packages that they can do so legitimately by selecting the bar set up in their cabin. For the price of one classic or premium drink package, you can get a pretty nice selection of 3 liters of liquor and mixers, which you can share with as many people as you like.

I don't like the idea of paying for a package while others cheat the system, but there's no way I'm going to monitor this while I'm on my vacation. I don't know if I could anyway - How would I know who has a drink package? Or what type of drink package they have?

It's definitely stealing. But I suppose everyone has their price. If someone wants to trade their dignity/self respect for a $300/$400 drink package - so be it. Celebrity should have reasonable safeguards in place to protect their profits before they offer a product like drink packages.

They have to walk the plank :p.

Actually, it's my understanding that they revoke (if that's the right word) the package priviledges from the package owner with no refund. I have no idea if this has ever happened, but I think it would be well within Celebrity's right to do.

Has it occurred to anyone that there might be more people here worried about it than in Celebrity's management?

No because we have already seen 2 cruiselines change their policy based on exactly this sort of abuse of the system. Who MSC and Costa had them long before =X= and recently changed the way these packages could be booked & used because the kind of abuse was taking place as many have be discribing it here - therefore no it definately IS an issue to be concerned about.

Has it occurred to anyone that there might be more people here worried about it than in Celebrity's management?

The following post from page 2 of a thread that seems to have gone all over the place in comparing and justifying the sharing of drinks packages says it all in my view. Celebrity obviously have worried about it:

Actually... And I'm irritated just reporting this... But the point above has ALREADY happened. I am sailing a charter on the Equinox next week. The drink packages are NOT offered on our charter.

The reason? The last charter that sailed with Celebrity there was rampant abuse of the packages. Lots of sharing etc. So, those selfish, thoughtless "adults" who decided the rules didn't apply to them ruined the package offer for the rest of us.

Thanks a lot people! :mad:

Phil

Anyone ever take a pen from work that found its way home? Make a personal call from your desk at work before cell phones? Used the fax machine for a personal fax? Or, anyone use the internet and log on to Cruise Critic from work when they are on the clock?

Point is in the grand scheme of things we all know these things happen. Just like we know someone is going to try to get over on the Beverage Packages.

I agree with those who make the mental note that they know it occurs, and that its none of their concern to the point of being a snitch. Celebrity is watching and the staff will step in and do what they need to do when necessary.

So unless you go to your Ethics Committee in the workplace to turn in co-workers in for pen stealing, you will be unlikely to do so while on board and you would not be expected to do so by me.

If you accept that it's a matter of degree, obtaining a $5 (or more) drink is on a higher level than pocketing a pen. It's more in line with sneaking into a movie or swiping a sandwich from a convenience store. There are higher penalties for stealing a car than stealing a pack of gum, so I suppose there's some logic to this.

However, the logic of saying that since everyone's guilty of petty pilfering at some point in their lives that disqualifies everyone from taking a stand and speaking out against stealing is ludicrous. By that logic, no one would ever be able to take the position that shoplifting, pickpocketing, grand theft auto, or a $68 million art heist is wrong. If you've ever intentionally, in a small moment of weakness, swiped a pen, you can't later say it's wrong, that you shouldn't have done it, and others shouldn't? And as a practical matter, no, I'm not going to go running to the boss if I see someone use the copy machine one time for personal use, if I have knowledge that they don't have permission to use it. Should I? Yes, technically. I'll admit the fact that I don't is itself a small transgression, but because I'm selective in what's worth raising a stink about, or because at some point in my life I pocketed a pen, should not disqualify me for doing so when I think it's important enough.

Please note, also, that I'm not going to go about on my cruise trying to be the Drink Police. I'm sure not going to be looking for it, and it would be a rare occasion that I would even happen to notice it. But if I should happen to notice it or if someone brags to me about getting away with not paying for their drink, I'm going to try to do the right thing. My conscience would bother me a bit if I didn't.

For anyone who feels it's small potatoes and not worth getting into a lather about, you can feel free to cover the cruise line's losses out of your wallet. Any volunteers?

It's funny-- I first read this post while I was surfing the net at work! However, I have the permission of my employer to do so (or read a book, work a crosword, knit, whatever), as long as it doesn't interfere with the job. I can check out CC as long as I don't log in and post.

They have to walk the plank :p.

Actually, it's my understanding that they revoke (if that's the right word) the package priviledges from the package owner with no refund. I have no idea if this has ever happened, but I think it would be well within Celebrity's right to do.

:D

Interesting how posters comment about sharing, yet none post about the consequences. Makes ya wonder if they're any. ;)

Interesting how posters comment about sharing' date=' yet none post about the consequences. Makes ya wonder if they're any. ;)[/quote']

Oh, I think there are consequences...such as they will no longer offer the packages. Thats a BIG consequence.

Laura

Interesting how posters comment about sharing' date=' yet none post about the consequences. Makes ya wonder if they're any. ;)[/quote']

It's very possible there are none, or that it's rare. Many businesses allow for a certain amount of loss from theft or fraud, because it's more expensive, in the long run, to take legal action or take the necessary preventative measures. Sad, but true. In other words, they're not about to throw a passenger in the brig or hire additional security to monitor the passengers' drinking habits; it's not worth the extra hassle or expense. That should not be interpreted as meaning that they're okay with it.

It's very possible there are none, or that it's rare. Many businesses allow for a certain amount of loss from theft or fraud, because it's more expensive, in the long run, to take legal action or take the necessary preventative measures. Sad, but true. In other words, they're not about to throw a passenger in the brig or hire additional security to monitor the passengers' drinking habits; it's not worth the extra hassle or expense. That should not be interpreted as meaning that they're okay with it.

So, if they're not worried why should we? ;) ;)

I have been reading all these posts and I am amazed!

The way I see it. The package costs x dollars. Some will drink the entire amount, some will drink more and some will drink less. The cruiseline will continue to offer the package as long as the balance is in their favour. I really don't think they care who does the actual drinking!

So' date=' if they're not worried why should we? ;) ;)[/quote']

The OP was asking about whether we thought this was theft, and that's what people are expressing their opinions about.

I think sharing the drink package is wrong, but I will not worry, because people have to live with themselves.

In the end, Celebrity needs to handle the problem, which may mean the end of drink packages if it gets out of hand.

So' date=' if they're not worried why should we? ;) ;)[/quote']

:confused::confused::confused:Where did I say they were not worried about it? Since we have at least one report by Wogtopus that Celebrity suspended the drink package for their charter cruise. Sounds to me like they were worried enough to change the policy on this one-time basis. If it gets out of control, there will be more changes, like no more drink packages at all.

This is from an interview with Tony Tahmosh, Celebrity's beverage operations manager:

Q: How do you police this policy and keep people from sharing the drinks?

A: We keep our eyes open as much as possible. It's not a perfect system, but we do random audits on guest folios. Because each drink is rung up at a zero value. If you see a large number of zeros being rung up at a time, it is potentially being abused or there is some fault. We haven't had any major issues. There have been some isolated incidents, and we had to address some guests who tried to share the package with others. Once we speak to them, the issue seems to go away.

Mari:)

This is from an interview with Tony Tahmosh, Celebrity's beverage operations manager:

Q: How do you police this policy and keep people from sharing the drinks?

A: We keep our eyes open as much as possible. It's not a perfect system, but we do random audits on guest folios. Because each drink is rung up at a zero value. If you see a large number of zeros being rung up at a time, it is potentially being abused or there is some fault. We haven't had any major issues. There have been some isolated incidents, and we had to address some guests who tried to share the package with others. Once we speak to them, the issue seems to go away.

Thank you Mari for the quote....so it seems that Celebrity is worried about it and is taking action.

I just can't get over how many people think its not wrong to steal.

Laura

You've got to remember, as to stealing:

a: It's only wrong if you get caught;

b: If you get caught it's "Everyone else is doing it, what about them";

As to all of the other rules:

c: See a and b;

d: It's only wrong if it's something you don't agree with...you can fill in the blank, eg. bringing on liquor, skipping the boat drill, etc.

You've got to remember, as to stealing:

a: It's only wrong if you get caught;

b: If you get caught it's "Everyone else is doing it, what about them";

As to all of the other rules:

c: See a and b;

d: It's only wrong if it's something you don't agree with...you can fill in the blank, eg. bringing on liquor, skipping the boat drill, etc.

That made me laugh.....

Laura

Thank you Mari for the quote....so it seems that Celebrity is worried about it and is taking action.

I just can't get over how many people think its not wrong to steal.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Agree!

From same article.Celebrity will also be monitoring people behaving badly:

Q: People expressed concern that this would lead to more drunkenness on the ships. Has that happened?

A: We've not had issues with intoxication. We've had a safe alcohol [serving] policy in effect for quite some time. Now we've decided to start using ServSafe alcohol service, a national program sponsored by the National Restaurant Association. All employees will be going through this program to make sure they don't overserve and know the signs and things to look for.

The way I see it. The package costs x dollars. Some will drink the entire amount' date=' some will drink more and some will drink less. The cruiseline will continue to offer the package as long as the balance is in their favour. I really don't think they care who does the actual drinking![/quote']

I am fairly sure they're not worried about making a profit on these packages. The markup on beverages is SO high that unless a passenger was drinking a couple of gallons of vodka every day, they're still making money. However, rampant sharing could cut into that profit margin significantly AND it would affect amount of tips their servers receive (since it's already built in when you have the package) - hence, they really DO care who does the actual drinking.

Hi Laura,

Agree!

From same article.Celebrity will also be monitoring people behaving badly:

Q: People expressed concern that this would lead to more drunkenness on the ships. Has that happened?

A: We've not had issues with intoxication. We've had a safe alcohol [serving] policy in effect for quite some time. Now we've decided to start using ServSafe alcohol service, a national program sponsored by the National Restaurant Association. All employees will be going through this program to make sure they don't over serve and know the signs and things to look for.

Good for them!! I really hope that they will go thru with it and will look for the signs of intoxication. But on another note its pretty said when they do have to do this.

Laura

Good for them!! I really hope that they will go thru with it and will look for the signs of intoxication. But on another note its pretty said when they do have to do this.

Laura

On all of our Celebrity cruises, we have seen almost no unacceptable behaviour resulting from intoxication. It is one of the things we enjoy about Celebrity.

Archived