"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

So here's my question:

I plan on purchasing the premiun alcohol package as I have done the math and can easily spend the amount required to make it worth my while. My fiance, on the other hand, likes his beer and will not be buying any package.

Let us say we are laying by the pool and he gets up to go to the bar and get us some drinks, taking my card with him. He uses my card to get my daquari (hey, its pool time) and decides on a bud light for himself. Obviously, he is charged for his bud. He comes back to the chairs and begins drinking MY daquari because he wants a drink of something cold and icy. He then returns to his beer happy.

Would you consider that stealing??

I do not because he has already purchased his own drink and is taking a sip of mine. One of our favorite things to do is try each others drinks. I'm not saying that intentionally buying 2 drinks at 2 different times for 2 people on one card is fair, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your reply, you appeared to be stating that the cruiselines "expect" there to be shrinkage, therefore, it isn't a big deal.

If that's not what you're saying, then I read it wrong.

Yes, businesses "expect" there to be losses. I was just providing a fact.

I never said it was or was not a big deal.

So yes, you read it wrong. ;)

Judy

I was thinking of getting a single cabin and sneaking my wife onboard as a visitor... I mean she's not using anyone else's space and we can get room service and share the meals.. :cool:

How is what anyone does as to their drinking and their bar tender, ANY OF MY BUSINESS??

I assume you would extend this "logic" to the non-cruise world.

If so, would you be affected if a drunk driver killed your child, your spouse?

Actions have repurcusions. To simply turn your head and say "none of my business" ignores social responsibility.

Yes - 'very well could effect'; 'Chaos Theory' certainly keeps one busy policing the universe eh?

Fortunately, neither I nor (stoweaway) family have ever purchased these packages. So - taking the large view (as one is invited to do here) those that purchase these and use them amply are boosting the lines pricing cost needs as to the retail drink to my detriment, or in another way... I'm subsidizing these drink packages... No matter how you crunch it though...

I'M HOLIER THAN THOU!:D;):D

The way this type of thing is structured and priced is internal to the programme itself...those that drink less will offset those that drink more. You, as a non-subscriber, will not be subsidizing the drink packages.

If someone buys one package and shares it, that affects the cost/pricing of the programme, and the price will either go up, or the programme will be discontinued. As I am someone who wants to participate in the programme, it IS my business. I'm either going to have to pay more, or I am going to lose this as an opportunity.

On a broader scale, the parameters of the drink package offer are clear. It is offered for one person only. Obtaining drinks for a second person is explicitly prohibited. And regardless of how people try to rationalize it, they all know that sharing this package is, ethically speaking, wrong. I doubt very much whether the prospective scammer who is the holder of the package is going to order a drink, and in full view of the bartender, give that drink to his wife, then order himself another one. He's going to try to pass the drink on in some sort of sneaky manoeuvre. He knows what he is doing is theft, otherwise he wouldn't be trying to hide it.

Supporting people who want to scam the programme by espousing some kind of moral relativism is not very admirable. :(

This thread reminds me of income taxes. Some think it is all right to cheat and others don't.

Some people think that the IRS is expecting you to cheat and it is built into the tax system.

I just don't understand the blatant mindset that people freely admit to it.

Apparently its only stealing if it is your money. If it is the cruiseline's money it doesn't matter. Sigh. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity's definition of stealing is when someone is caught. I would think at the very least the person would be required to pay for the drink. At the very worst...... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Personally I'd die a million deaths if I got caught doing something like this. Even if your conscious somehow is clear to do this, the price of two soda cards rather than one is little to pay to keep one's dignity intact should that ever happen!

I'm with you, but I refrained from answering in the beverage thread.

It's a crime, and I'm not sure how anyone can justify it. Is it a petty crime? Sure. It's either theft of goods or theft of services, and it's obviously a small amount - but would these same people walk out of the ship's store with a pack of gum or a deck of cards or a candy bar they didn't pay for and justify it by saying that the ship "expects some shrinkage"?

What is the difference?

In some areas, such as out here on the left coast, it might be considered a felony. Entering a building, business, or residence with the intent to comit grand or petty larceny or any other felony; is a felony.....

Bob

What if individually people would only buy 1 and 2 drinks per day, but buying e.g. the soda package is equivalent to 4 drinks per day? Celebrity has actually gained in that instance.

The issue is related to individuals; there's no global answer. One person might drink 15 drinks of soft drink a day. They're really getting value from the line far exceeding the alternative cost. Does that mean they're stealing? No, since there's no limit.

Practically - economically - I don't see that it's such an issue in the example above of one drink every 3-4 days. Celebrity may still wind up ahead compared to the alternative anyway!

IMHO, it's an issue because it is wrong.....:):):)

Bob

I personally wouldn't feel right about it, but that's me.

Maybe Celebrity should offer a "Couples Package". Like maybe 25% off the 2nd drink package or something like that to make it a little more affordable for 2 people. Thereby possibly deterring some of the sharing practices. Just an idea.

Maybe Celebrity should offer a "Couples Package". Like maybe 25% off the 2nd drink package or something like that to make it a little more affordable for 2 people. Thereby possibly deterring some of the sharing practices. Just an idea.

That iss an excellant idea.....:):):)

Bob

--i got here a little late but I'll ask anyway----------

when out sociallizing I will often buy " a round" of drinks for other friends or aquaintintenances--------seems like if DW and I met some new friends on board that we couldn't buy "a round" with the package-----would have to charge it to my cabin separately. is that how you see it being handled??

in that case it wouldn't be stealing would it ????------but then I guess everybody would be doing it ---buying "a round" huh ?? ;);)

I really doubt that someone would go to hell if the worst thing they ever did in their lives was to partake in someone elses drink package. But that being said, it is crazy to not think this is stealing. And how often one does this has "nothing to do with nothing". So if you are at a grocery store and someone in front of you drops a $20 bill out of their pocket and you keep it, it is not stealing but keeping a $50 is? As I said, this thread is crazy.

CLEMM, I agree it is stealing. There's no way I'd buy a package and let others get drinks from it.

Celebrity read these boards. Perhaps they know it is going on and turn a blind eye or it's already been evaluated as "collateral damage". Perhaps they are monitoring it. Perhaps they aren't, but will now. Sadly the few spoil it for the majority and if Celebrity know what is going on and haven't built it into their calculations then either they'll do away with the packages or put the prices up.

Phil

How can it be stealing if the package is paid for??

We were thinking of getting one but don't know if DH would drink enough in one day to justify the price. I am unable to drink hardly any alcohol and no carbonated beverages. How would it be so wrong for him to get me one drink every 3rd or 4th day?

I drink a lot, so I am buying two packages just for myself. I will let my wife use the second package once-in-awhile.

I assume you would extend this "logic" to the non-cruise world.

If so, would you be affected if a drunk driver killed your child, your spouse?

Jeez I suppose - but would I be affected more or less if he'd gotten wasted on his friend's drink package or his own? And what happends to the drink packages of those stiff that die while onboard? Do the hiers and survivors get to use them or does it have to be probated first?:D

Actions have repurcusions. To simply turn your head and say "none of my business" ignores social responsibility.

And in what way does criticism of others constitute 'social responsibility'? Isn't social respondibility strictly personal? It this between the passenger, the bar tender, and the cruise line? Is someone who returns a drink and demands a stronger pour stealing? Is it any of your business?

What if this practice of two people "sharing" one drink card eventually leads to the program's prices being increased or the program being eliminated altogether? If that impacts your pocket, would it then be everyone's business? Would a restaurant buffet allow a patron to pay for one but then allow that patron to bring plates of food to a friend who didn't pay?

Of course this kind of thing is our business because it very well could affect everyone who participates in the program.

Actually... And I'm irritated just reporting this... But the point above has ALREADY happened. I am sailing a charter on the Equinox next week. The drink packages are NOT offered on our charter.

The reason? The last charter that sailed with Celebrity there was rampant abuse of the packages. Lots of sharing etc. So, those selfish, thoughtless "adults" who decided the rules didn't apply to them ruined the package offer for the rest of us.

Thanks a lot people! :mad:

We will be on the Solstice 7 day cruise. We booked a balcony room, 4 excursions for the 4 ports, 1 dinner at Muranos, and the Premium package. The total was approximately $3300. Aside from tips at the end, the cruise is now just like going to an all-inclusive (some all-inclusives include side trips, some don't.) I wonder how many people would book an all-inclusive cruise rate of $1650 per person, instead of a cruise-only rate of $800 per person (of course, rates would be higher or lower depending on the room.)

And in what way does criticism of others constitute 'social responsibility'? Isn't social respondibility strictly personal? It this between the passenger, the bar tender, and the cruise line?... Is it any of your business?

It reinforces norms of behaviour that, as a society, we choose to support.

As a society, we do not condone stealing. We have legal penalties and normative penalties for such unacceptable behaviour. Receiving the criticism of your peers for unacceptable behaviour is one of the normative penalties.

You are way off track on the parameters of social responsibility. There is some great material out there, a google away, if you are interested.

Supporting people who want to scam the programme by espousing some kind of moral relativism is not very admirable. :(

Hey - I'm supporting ALL of you buying drinks 'rack rate' so lighten up!;) Just don't forget that admirable or not, being a rack rate drinking makes me 'Holier than Thou!' and I'm rarely in that position so I'm sticking with it!:D

Archived