Dirty dishes ALL OVER HALLWAYS

icyfrost

Recently returned from ruby cruise and can't believe how many passengers leave their dirty dishes in hallways, it is gross walking by seeing leftovers along with a stench. This was the worse of any princess cruise i have taken.

Recently returned from ruby cruise and can't believe how many passengers leave their dirty dishes in hallways, it is gross walking by seeing leftovers along with a stench. This was the worse of any princess cruise i have taken.
This practice is really a hold over from hotels, and quite unnecessary with twice daily steward service on cruise ships.

In my opinion it is often a safety hazard as well.

Now - how do we train passengers out of unfavorable habits ?

Awful. People are stupid and inconsiderate. You are asked to NOT put them in the hallway but when one person does, others follow. They don't do that at home; why would they do it on a cruise? Perhaps it is a holdover from hotels but that doesn't excuse not respecting the request not to do so.

That is totally unacceptable. Princess is usually really good about keeping the hallways immaculate. I would've called housekeeping right away if it bothered me instead of 'stewing' about it. It sounds like maybe your cabin steward wasn't doing his job.

This has nothing to do with the stewards not doing their jobs....the dishes should be left in the rooms until the steward is back on duty and they will remove them.

Easily remedied if Princess would put a little tent card on the tray saying to call Room Service for pick up or leave in the cabin for the steward. It really is gross to see the

unfinished food sitting there. And horrible, too, to see the wasted food.

This practice is really a hold over from hotels, and quite unnecessary with twice daily steward service on cruise ships.

In my opinion it is often a safety hazard as well.

Now - how do we train passengers out of unfavorable habits ?

We could do what has worked to breack them of other bad habits. Oh wait nothing has worked.

Easily remedied if Princess would put a little tent card on the tray saying to call Room Service for pick up or leave in the cabin for the steward. It really is gross to see the

unfinished food sitting there. And horrible, too, to see the wasted food.

Uh... there is one. Or at least I can remember always seeing a tent card to call a # to get the tray removed.

This is a room service issue not Stewarts. :cool:

Oh well now I feel badly- is it wrong to leave the tray for the steward in your cabin? I figured he would be along soon enough and it was easier than calling room service (we never got a card that said to either). Also, I tried to be considerate and if there was something like a bit of cheese left, I would put it in the fridge until he came so there wouldn't be any weird smells.

Oh well now I feel badly- is it wrong to leave the tray for the steward in your cabin? I figured he would be along soon enough and it was easier than calling room service (we never got a card that said to either). Also, I tried to be considerate and if there was something like a bit of cheese left, I would put it in the fridge until he came so there wouldn't be any weird smells.
It's not wrong. I do it all the time but then I tip the steward very nicely at the end (on top of the auto-tip.)

No in the cabin the stewards will deal with it, but when it gets put in the passageway I think it becomes a room services issue. They should know because they are in those passageways all day and night making food deliveries. :cool:

we always leave our dishes in the cabin.

it doesn't bother me a bit to see them in the hallways, however.

of course, i'm a person who doesn't have to have every little thing in

order in my home, and one who doesn't mind a few dirty dishes in

my sink, either.:eek:

i'm on vacation -- why should i trip about what others are doing

with their dirty dishes?

i agree with the poster who suggested that princess leave a little card

on the tray asking passengers to simply leave the trays in their room.

Lots of the problem is that when room service is called they do NOT come to pick up the dirty trays! :(

:rolleyes: Most cabins aren't very large and that extra tray space does take up lots of room and often can be rather smelly.

I personally hate to see this also but will admit on occasion to leaving a tray outside after a late night room service snack. Seems to me the simple solution would be to have Princess assign somebody to walk the hall on each deck even twice a day with a cart and pick up everything. How hard would that be?

In the very rare occasion that we have ordered room service I always leave the tray with the dirty dishes in the cabin. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the cabin right after the cabin steward had finished the morning cabin cleaning...................guess where that tray of dirty dishes ended up????? In the hallway! So, I asked the cabin steward.......he stated that the procedure was that they put the trays in the hallway and crew from room service makes a pass to pick up all the dirty dishes. I think this was on the Crown, but like I said, we rarely order room service.

The ship should have better ways of dealing with it. Have to say why do they order so much food only to leave platefuls of it...sheer greed or what!

I always thought they did have a method to this problem. It is all about calling room service to have them come pick up the trays. They are not mind readers to know when to come get them when you are finished. I think the problem grows because a great many people don't call. Cabin stewards aren't the ones to clean up your dirty dishes, that is the job of the room service staff.

We call and if they don't come by the time we're out of the cabin, we then leave it in the hall so they don't have to enter our cabin. Most of the time, they are there within minutes of our call.

Archived