Dirty dishes ALL OVER HALLWAYS

icyfrost

I think I would leave a note in their mailbox if it happened more than once.:cool: We always get a balcony, so we leave the dishes outside on the table and they are always gone when we come back to our cabin. We get room service every morning for coffee and never had a problem. I always assumed that the steward took them.:)

Unless they were leaving their dirty dishes outside someone else's cabin. :D

Wait a minute now. I don't think you can just blanket blame the guests here.

We've ordered room service...did so on the Emerald. We subsequently called the room service number to let them know we were done.

They specifically told us to place the dishes outside and they would come get them. 2 hours later they were still there. Our steward had to finally get them after we brought them back in.

This happened to us on the Sapphire when we were in the Family Suite. We ordered dinner from room service on formal night. We had dinner for four people, including Beef Wellington, appetizers and dessert. There were a ton of dishes. We called Room Service to pick them up. About 2 hours later, we called again. They were starting to get smelly and the kids were ready for bed. Room Service specifically told us to put them in the hallway --at least we were at the end of the hall, as far forward as possible.

I agree this is undesirable and a hazard. But when Room Service tells one person to do it, then another person sees the dishes in the hall and thinks it's the thing to do.

It's very possible that hours and hours go by without a single Princess crew member walking down a hallway and noticing all those disgusting glasses and dishes sitting out there. It's equally possible that when folks (like myself) that have called and have been told to place them outside their cabins...the cruise line is just clowning us to see if we'll fall for their little trick.

Oh...those crazy Princess crew members... ;)

Pam

We also tipped our room steward on top of the auto-tip...for a seven day cruise what is a nice over-tip gesture?

I'm not Pam, but we do the same thing. For a 7-day if our Steward gives us good service (not outstanding, over the top mind you) we usually leave at least $15. Most of our Princess Stewards, however, have provided what we consider exceptional service, so we usually leave $20 (and occasionally more.) Usually figure another $2.00/day, over and above the auto-tip, for good service.

Mind you, I am NOT suggesting that everyone needs to do this. It's just what we do. We also tip waiters, assistant waiters, bartenders, etc., who provide exceptional service (over and above the auto-tip, that is.) We've also found that, when lounging on deck, if you find a deck server who comes to take your drink order, a couple bucks every once in awhile will help assure that they are attentive to your needs. ;-)

I'm not Pam, but we do the same thing. For a 7-day if our Steward gives us good service (not outstanding, over the top mind you) we usually leave at least $15. Most of our Princess Stewards, however, have provided what we consider exceptional service, so we usually leave $20 (and occasionally more.) Usually figure another $2.00/day, over and above the auto-tip, for good service.

Mind you, I am NOT suggesting that everyone needs to do this. It's just what we do. We also tip waiters, assistant waiters, bartenders, etc., who provide exceptional service (over and above the auto-tip, that is.) We've also found that, when lounging on deck, if you find a deck server who comes to take your drink order, a couple bucks every once in awhile will help assure that they are attentive to your needs. ;-)

I do pretty much the same thing. I especially like tipping the bartenders and beverage servers who go above and beyond. A little extra each order ensures some very nice drinks.....:):):)

Bob

This is a room service issue not Stewarts. :cool:

We have opened our cabin door on more than one occasion to find a food tray sitting there that was not ours. We simply slide it next door and hope that is where it originated.

Most of us have seen those tall sectional trolleys used in hospitals that they use to deliver food and pick up trays afterwards. Don't know why the lines don't use them and do pick ups in the corridors. People are going to leave them out there regardless. Having the steward do it is double handling.

We use our feet to quietly push the plates right in front of the cabin door... Hopefully the guests will open their door and walk right into their plates!!!! At least then the plates are out of the hallways....

I can just see it now…..Passenger opens the door steps into the plate of lasagna and wipes his feet on the carpet creating a new thread “Stained carpets in the hallway”. :)

Actually probably nothing will change until someone trips on a tray that has been left outside a cabin, gets badly hurt and then sues the cruise line.:eek:

I guarantee once that happens the cruise lines will come up with some very ingenious ways to resolve this problem (extra charge, notes, etc);)

Actually probably nothing will change until someone trips on a tray that has been left outside a cabin, gets badly hurt and then sues the cruise line.:eek:

I guarantee once that happens the cruise lines will come up with some very ingenious ways to resolve this problem (extra charge, notes, etc);)

I agree; only a matter of time.....:):):)

Bob

Ditto on this. We often will get some candy from the ship stores and leave it for our steward/ess mid cruise it goes a long way. You can do that to anyone who stands out. Believe me they will remember you.

people on this board get worked up by the weirdest stuff

I agree! :eek:

Why not just call room service and tell them there is a problem with trays in the hall.

What they said! :eek:

I have seen this on Princess and Celebrity and in most hotels I stay in, let's accept people do this and they will not change, just notify the front desk and enjoy your cruise! :D

Ken!

I agree! :eek:

What they said! :eek:

I have seen this on Princess and Celebrity and in most hotels I stay in, let's accept people do this and they will not change, just notify the front desk and enjoy your cruise! :D

Ken!

You are right, people will not change. So the cruise ships must. Why not have the room service people pick up trays in the hall when the deliver an order. If there are more tray out than they can carry, come back for more.

Thanks Somewhere for posting!

We were told to take our auto-tip off by an entertainment member on another ship that we are friends with...they said for many different reasons it's just "better" to tip in cash all the people serving you because with the auto-tip some crew members who you never have contact with will get part of the tip "pool".

Well, I decided to just leave auto-tip on and just tip exceptional service with a little "lagniappe"! We gave our room steward, Julio, and extra $40 at the end of the week. As far as the dining room, I'm glad our server had to "share" in the tip pool because I was not at all impressed with "Ms. Attitude from Grenada" as I referred to her throughout the cruise! She NEVER went above and beyond for us the entire cruise! We would ask her questions and sometimes her answers were not answers at all. I will give an example....remember this was our first cruise. My sister asked our server if we would have Dungeness Crabs on the menu any of the nights. Her answer was "Honey, this is Princess, what do you think"? We didn't know if that meant "Yes because Princess is such a great cruise line of course you'll be getting Dungeness Crab" or "HELL NO, you aren't getting Dungeness Crab because this is cheap a$$ cruiseline"...LOL! Needless to say, NO Dungeness Crab...ROFL!

By the way Somewhere, I love reading your posts!

Tack on a $10 charge for all room deliveries & have it refundable if the person calls in for a pickup in a reasonable time period. If the tray is found in the hallway - to bad you lose it. ;)

I like that idea. If you choose to leave dirty dishes in the hallway, you will have a charge applied. Although I can picture someone putting their dirty tray in front of the cabin next door.

I like that idea. If you choose to leave dirty dishes in the hallway, you will have a charge applied. Although I can picture someone putting their dirty tray in front of the cabin next door.

It would be $10 placed on their tab when they call in an order for room service & only removed if they call again to have the dishes removed. So if they wanted to slide the dirty tray down the hall, so be it- they're the ones who would lose the $10. It's only my pipe dream.

This practice is really a hold over from hotels, and quite unnecessary with twice daily steward service on cruise ships.

In my opinion it is often a safety hazard as well.

Now - how do we train passengers out of unfavorable habits ?

Hotels that I've stayed recommend leaving dishes in the room or calling room service for pick-up. In some hotels the room attendants leave dishes in the hall way for other staff to pick it up.:eek:

I think the point is that people are used to putting the trays in the hall when they are finished from staying in hotels, even fine ones. That is the way it is done and used to be done on Princess. Don't blame the passengers that Princess doesn't require a swoop through the ship every hour to clean up the trays.

Archived