Getting an upgrade

I have been on 10 cruises on various lines and like RCI the best. Am booked for next Feb. 2011. Have a Balcony Cabin but hoping for an upgrade. I gathered together friends and friends of friends and booked a cruise on RCI-Radiance for 73 people. If this goes well, may do it again. I want to have a get acquainted gathering of the people in my cabin, but am afraid it may be too small, so am hoping for an upgrade. Everyone is excited about going as Feb is usually a really BLAH month, so this should perk everyone up. I just recently got upgraded to Platinum and excited about it. Looking forward to many more cruises. BTW, I have been upgraded twice, but not on RCI. My first experience with RCI was not the best. The ship was more than half empty and they would not upgrade us. We made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves anyway. Part of my group are the RED HAT LADIES from Wildwood, FL.

We have been upgraded twice. Our first cruise with RCL we booked a balcony on the Majesty and were upgraded to GS. The second time was on the Grandeur and went from a balcony to a JS and yes, we received two credits and that put us up to Diamond.

It certainly does, We're D+ and were traveling JS on Majesty last year and were not upgraded, we were traveling with friends who were Gold members and were upgraded from JS to GS. When I e-mailed C&A, their reply was that no upgrades were were given for that sailing. The funny thing was that the CC roll call was full of posts by members who were touting their upgrades. Newbies, Gold members. I e-mailed Adam Goldstein himself with the C&A reply and the link with the roll call. His office called me back within a day and compensated me with a confirmed upgrade from a D1 to a GS on our next sailing. At least they made it right. This new policy is more in line with Airline FF programs where elite status matters. I'm all for it.

I am shocked...........and very pleased for you. I am glad that when confronted with your "proof", they stepped up to the plate.

It certainly does, We're D+ and were traveling JS on Majesty last year and were not upgraded, we were traveling with friends who were Gold members and were upgraded from JS to GS. When I e-mailed C&A, their reply was that no upgrades were were given for that sailing. The funny thing was that the CC roll call was full of posts by members who were touting their upgrades. Newbies, Gold members. I e-mailed Adam Goldstein himself with the C&A reply and the link with the roll call. His office called me back within a day and compensated me with a confirmed upgrade from a D1 to a GS on our next sailing. At least they made it right. This new policy is more in line with Airline FF programs where elite status matters. I'm all for it.

I am shocked...........and very pleased for you. I am glad that when confronted with your "proof", they stepped up to the plate.

Maybe they saw enough situations like this to make the change. We are platinum but usually sail with our kids in a separate cabin. Maybe by the time DH & I sail on our own we'll have enough credits to get an upgrade??

We just got upgraded from oceanview to balcony for the Sept. 3rd Alaska cruise and it is only our fifth cruise with Royal Caribbean. Sounds random to me!

the deal with Alaska is that there are lots of first timers that sail and so that's probably why you got upgraded. My sister has been the "top" cruiser on 2 different Alaska cruises & the first time she was not even D+ yet. congrats!!!

good for you for saying something & good for RCCL making it good, as they should have.

About time they turn the C&A more like the FF programs where upgrades have a lot to do with loyalty. On some flights select airlines...most of the first class folks are FF on upgrades. I saw one flight where 11 of 12 were upgrades....nice when you are among the upgrades.

Like concerns others have expressed, lets hope that reality shines bright with RCCL actually following the rules they share...

I wonder how those first time cruisers get upgraded from interiors to balconies...yes..it happens!

We were one of those newbies - we had an interior booked on jewel and were upgraded twice -once to outside then to a balcony - never happened since - don't know if it was because just w

two of us on that & since then have taken our teenagers and always booked two cabins -always keep our fingers crossed though ;)

Don’t know if this was posted before but in the event it wasn’t here it is

From time to time someone will ask how do I get an upgrade.

Royal Caribbean has a new policy on how and who get upgrades.

About 20 or 21 day prior to the sailing date upgrades will be given based on Crown & Anchor status. Diamond Plus will be given upgrades first followed by Diamond, then platinum, and so on.

Royal Caribbean believes that those cruisers that keep coming back should get the perks. Also it takes it out of human hands I was told that the whole system will be done by computer. The system will have available cabins and will search booked passenger based on C&A status.

Where did you get the info that it will now be done by computer and not by "human hands"?

We are just coming into our 10th cruise (in March 2011) with RCI. We do cruise other lines. We have been upgraded on Princess (balcony to mini suite) and had a cabin "change" on Celebrity (to a Concierge class).

We never expect it. We always book the cabin that we want to have so we are never disappointed.

Have met two couples that were first time cruisers that were upgraded at checkin to a full suite!

I think it is great when someone gets upgraded and love to hear it.

Be happy, you are always on a trip of a lifetime that someone else might never gets to do.

Happy Sailing All!!!:D

Royal Caribbean has a new policy on how and who get upgrades.

About 20 or 21 day prior to the sailing date upgrades will be given based on Crown & Anchor status. Diamond Plus will be given upgrades first followed by Diamond, then platinum, and so on.

Royal Caribbean believes that those cruisers that keep coming back should get the perks. Also it takes it out of human hands I was told that the whole system will be done by computer. The system will have available cabins and will search booked passenger based on C&A status.

Does anyone know if this its given to americans only, or also to the other international passengers ?

I wonder if we could ever get an upgrade.

After our next cruise on sept 5 on Mariner, we will become Platinum.

I have always wondered if the upgrade is based on the price paid for the original cabin. That could explain why some first time cruisers get upgraded.

I am diamond (almost D+) and have been a C&A member from the mid 80's on RCI and have never been upgraded but I always look for deals so I usually have a very good price on the cabin.

Any thoughts?

I have been on 19 RCI cruises (18 on their books - they shorted me one credit, but that is a whole other issue) and never got an upgrade. The illusive Upgrade Fairy has no rhyme or reason for what she does. She is magic. If you try to logically understand why she does what she does, you will drive yourself crazy. I wish it was all very precise and fair but it's not. She's a fairy. Magic - people. Don't try to understand. Just be very happy if it happens to you.

E-Beth

PS. If the fairy is listening, I'm taking my daughter on Freedom in a couple weeks on a mother/daughter sailing (the ship still has tons of available cabins) and I sure would love an upgrade. ;)

We were upgraded 120 days out on the Oasis from inside to B1 Balcony Boardwalk view and we had a good price for our inside. We are platinum but this cruise will make us Diamond. I figured that had something to do with our upgrade. We have never been upgraded before. So, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Don't ever expect it and be pleased if it happens. :D

I have had an upgrade before and loved it, but this next cruise on the Oasis we specifically picked our balcony cabin with the hump balcony and on the central park floor.....because we wanted THAT cabin...so as we are now diamond I DON'T want to be upgraded, do they give you a choice? I am not ungrateful, it is just that I love this cabin we got

On our very first cruise not RCI we booked an oceanview for our 30th anniversary mentioned to our TA this. On boarding our Attendant showed us to our cabin, DH almost choked and I had to keep him blurting out that we were in the wrong cabin. After she left I let DH know that we would stay in our Suite unless they discovered that they had made a mistake. They never did, our Suite was lovely and I can only guess we were upgraded because of our Anniversary.

On our next Cruise with RCI it was our 40th DH thought we would be upgraded again I was wiser and chose a Balcony Cabin in the area that suited us best, we were therefore happy with this cabin when we were not upgraded.

21 days till our cruise, around 30 suites still available, wondering if the fairy will visit. we're diamond, 19 cruises under our belt and never been upgraded. haved hand picked my cabin all but once when I went for the guarantee balcony for less $$ about 6 weeks out. It makes sense to give the D+ the suite upgrades first (at least the ones with concierge) because they get that benefit anyways. saves $$ for them. but the JS could be given to diamond members before platinum and gold. Should I call and change my celebration status? I never told them it's our anniversary? does that matter? we'll see what happens soon.

In reality, you are not supposed to get an extra cruise credit when you receive a complementary upgrade. Yes, they have been given out, but if you were to call C&A they would tell you you do not get one.

Yes, we have received the extra credit for an upgrade, had it taken away, had it re-instated and taken away again. All depends who you talk to you.

It's consistent with the inconsistent C&A policies though.:D

I have had an upgrade before and loved it, but this next cruise on the Oasis we specifically picked our balcony cabin with the hump balcony and on the central park floor.....because we wanted THAT cabin...so as we are now diamond I DON'T want to be upgraded, do they give you a choice? I am not ungrateful, it is just that I love this cabin we got
Yes, tell them to mark NO UPGRADE on your ressie.....if you used a TA,tell them..

Really??? I would have sworn I read you did get the 2nd credit for a JS, even if it was from a free upgrade.

My friend got upgraded on a balcony gty to a suite and I thought he got it.

I have gotten the credit every time..

Archived