Getting an upgrade

Don’t know if this was posted before but in the event it wasn’t here it is

From time to time someone will ask how do I get an upgrade.

Royal Caribbean has a new policy on how and who get upgrades.

About 20 or 21 day prior to the sailing date upgrades will be given based on Crown & Anchor status. Diamond Plus will be given upgrades first followed by Diamond, then platinum, and so on.

Royal Caribbean believes that those cruisers that keep coming back should get the perks. Also it takes it out of human hands I was told that the whole system will be done by computer. The system will have available cabins and will search booked passenger based on C&A status.

I'll be sitting by the phone all Monday Morning awaiting my call. :p Now I do have a question too. If you get upgraded from a balcony to a JS or higher do you get the extra cruise credit with the upgrade?

Sorry, you do not get an extra point.

LOL.....so will I.:rolleyes: I'm nearing triple digits for cruise credits and while I do get upgraded it is not as often as one would think.

We've been Diamond Plus for two and a half years and have been upgraded a grand total of ONE time. And that was on the half empty Mariner out of LA. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything, but when I run into Platinum and Diamond members around the ship who have been upgraded, I have to scratch my head and wonder who's the genius making these decisions. They've supposedly gotten the message but time will tell. It just seems like common sense to reward the people who cruise the most with you with the upgrades FIRST. :)

:p Now I do have a question too. If you get upgraded from a balcony to a JS or higher do you get the extra cruise credit with the upgrade?

Yes, you should get 2 credits for JS.

Talking from experience (not only by reading "the rules") - We were upgraded from a Prom. cabin to a Jr. Suite in June 2010 (while doing a short, 4 nights cruise on AOS from Barcelona) and received 2 credits for that specific cruise.

... I can swear I've seen posts from lucky cruisers who were upgraded who DID receive the extra credit.

In agreement and with all due respect to the person that expressed a different opinion on this topic.

We've been Diamond Plus for two and a half years and have been upgraded a grand total of ONE time. And that was on the half empty Mariner out of LA. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything, but when I run into Platinum and Diamond members around the ship who have been upgraded, I have to scratch my head and wonder who's the genius making these decisions. They've supposedly gotten the message but time will tell. It just seems like common sense to reward the people who cruise the most with you with the upgrades FIRST. :)

Yeah that's the thing they don't follow what they advertise. Also they tend to wait longer and longer before doing the upgrades.:rolleyes: They are SUPPOSED to do the suite upgrades at 3 weeks out and the other upgrades at 2 weeks out but that rarely happens. They tend to wait until sometimes the week before sailing after a happy hour deal and many times the upgrades opportunities are then gone. It would be nice to see them sticking to what they advertise and having the most frequent cruisers ACTUALLY GETTING the upgrades.;)

I wonder how those first time cruisers get upgraded from interiors to balconies...yes..it happens!

I think it's like power windows on a car. Until you've had power windows, the old crank was fine. Once you have power windows, you won't buy another care w/o them.

Analogy: once you've had a balcony cabin, you won't want anything less. It's best to catch first time cruisers before they've tried inside or just ocean view.

I'll be sitting by the phone all Monday Morning awaiting my call. :p Now I do have a question too. If you get upgraded from a balcony to a JS or higher do you get the extra cruise credit with the upgrade?

Sorry,but I did when I got upgraded in June...........

BTW to the OP.......with this new wording for upgrades,I dont see mention on the length of the cruise.......used to be it had to be for 5 nights or more....is this still the case???

I'm not convinced that's the exact formula or when they changed things. I do know that I booked an inside last December and was upgraded to a balcony. I'm not Diamond Plus. However, I do have one of the early C&A numbers when they started the program.

BTW to the OP.......with this new wording for upgrades,I dont see mention on the length of the cruise.......used to be it had to be for 5 nights or more....is this still the case???

I was told you need at least 75 cruise credits to be considered for an upgrade on cruises five nights or less. Seems like a silly rule to me.

The *rules* on the website say that, PH.

15 Stateroom upgrades available on cruise vacations of 5 nights or longer based on availability within 14 days of departure date. Offer varies by ship and sail dates with certain restrictions. Offer is not valid during Christmas and New Years sailings. Upgrades will be given in priority to Crown & Anchor members based on tier level, cruise credits, time of booking and the original fare paid by the guest. To be available for this benefit, we must have your loyalty membership number in your reservation and your valid email address and/or valid phone number. A Royal Caribbean associate will contact you upon availability. A response is needed within 24 hours or the upgrade will be given to the next guest on the priority list. Upgrades are final up to 4 days before your sail date, and cannot be done by a pier agent or onboard any of our ships. Offer may be withdrawn at any time and cannot be combined with any other upgrade offers or certain restricted fares.

But it also says that the tours are on 5 nights or longer, and I think that we have all had them on the Majesty, Sovereign and Monarch, quite regularly.

7 Behind the Scenes Tours, Galley, Bridge, Entertainment tour and VIP Theatre Experience available only on cruise vacations of 5 nights or longer. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to cancel these tours (ie. Due to safety and security concerns). In the event of cancellation a notification will be sent.

we were upgraded from a D1 to a suite & got 2 credits, but I did have to call and bug C&A for it.

Agree that they are calling later & later. We were visited today by the upgrade fairy for ourAug 22 sailing--2 weeks out.

I was told you need at least 75 cruise credits to be considered for an upgrade on cruises five nights or less. Seems like a silly rule to me.

We were upgraded from a JS to an OS on a four night cruise while we were platinum.

I wonder how those first time cruisers get upgraded from interiors to balconies...yes..it happens!

It certainly does, We're D+ and were traveling JS on Majesty last year and were not upgraded, we were traveling with friends who were Gold members and were upgraded from JS to GS. When I e-mailed C&A, their reply was that no upgrades were were given for that sailing. The funny thing was that the CC roll call was full of posts by members who were touting their upgrades. Newbies, Gold members. I e-mailed Adam Goldstein himself with the C&A reply and the link with the roll call. His office called me back within a day and compensated me with a confirmed upgrade from a D1 to a GS on our next sailing. At least they made it right. This new policy is more in line with Airline FF programs where elite status matters. I'm all for it.

Archived