Clothing Question

ganny3

I have been looking at some of the soft nylon pants made by Magellan and Columbia. Of course right now they are advertised for their SPF since it is summer in Texas. They seem so lightweight, which would make them dry quickly, but will they be warm enough or do you have to wear something under them? Or do they make heavier ones that are still fairly lightweight, and they will be in the stores later in the year?

Thanks

Barbara

I have been looking at some of the soft nylon pants made by Magellan and Columbia. Of course right now they are advertised for their SPF since it is summer in Texas. They seem so lightweight, which would make them dry quickly, but will they be warm enough or do you have to wear something under them? Or do they make heavier ones that are still fairly lightweight, and they will be in the stores later in the year?

Thanks

Barbara

I'd buy them big enough to be able to wear something under them if necessary - trust me - "fashion" is not high on the list in Alaska!:p Weather is so variable - one day you might not want anything (except undies!) underneath, one day you might want a pair of lightweight long johns, and other days you might want a pair of slacks - I wear jeans in Alaska - just don't let the jeans get wet as they do take forever to dry.

I do take along the light weight SPF pants because they dry so well, but I layer up under them. I also have a medium weight pair and a pair of washable wool pants for Alaska trips. The brand on the wool pants is IceBreaker.

If you have a Cabella's, they have a great selection.

I often order from Magellan's but you need to be careful with the sizes from any online company. I telephone to ask them if I am not sure about a size.

I do take along the light weight SPF pants because they dry so well, but I layer up under them. I also have a medium weight pair and a pair of washable wool pants for Alaska trips. The brand on the wool pants is IceBreaker.

If you have a Cabella's, they have a great selection.

I often order from Magellan's but you need to be careful with the sizes from any online company. I telephone to ask them if I am not sure about a size.

Thanks PennyAgain. That was what I thought, that I would need to layer under them. I do have a Cabella's but I was looking to save some money. Guess I just have to watch for the sales at Cabella's and make my birthday and Christmas wish list.

Barbara

Barbara, these sorts of pants don't seem to wear out. If you can find a couple pairs (maybe at Academy or Sports Authority) you should be OK. I wash them out in a hotel/cruise bathroom sink with Zote brand soap and they dry overnight.

A bar of Zote is less than $1. I chip off small pieces to take along for travel.

Barbara, these sorts of pants don't seem to wear out. If you can find a couple pairs (maybe at Academy or Sports Authority) you should be OK. I wash them out in a hotel/cruise bathroom sink with Zote brand soap and they dry overnight.

A bar of Zote is less than $1. I chip off small pieces to take along for travel.

PennyAgain,

Thanks for all your help. I'm glad to know the lightweight ones with something under them will work. I have just discovered that I can shop online from Cabela's and have it delivered to the store here so I don't have to pay shipping and there won't be shipping charges if I have to return it, so now I'm watching the Bargain Cave for what I want. Academy was where I was looking and I hadn't thought about Sports Authority. I believe we have one of those close.

Barbara

You are certainly welcome. I believe that most Texas ladies know that Sheer Energy Panty Hose on the hottest things you can wear. I use those rather than long underwear.

I layer on top with a long sleeve wool t-shirt (IceBreaker) but you don't have to spend that kind of money for one trip. A substitute can be about any wool or fleece pull over. On top of that I put a multi-pocket vest and a jacket if I need another layer.

Dig around home to see if you have an old silk scarf that can help to keep you warm but won't mind be wadded up in a pocket. You will need a hat (I often wear a wool bucket hat of the sort I make myself) and gloves.

Look around also for clothes that you can take on one last trip and leave behind. Makes easier packing on the return home.

I've made many trips to the far north and have the wardrobe, if you don't anticipate another trip north fairly soon, I would plan on spending as little as possible.

You are certainly welcome. I believe that most Texas ladies know that Sheer Energy Panty Hose on the hottest things you can wear. I use those rather than long underwear.QUOTE]

Thanks for that reminder. I gave those up years ago for that very reason, but that's a cheap investment for staying warm. I really do appreciate all your helpful hints. I want to be prepared for all weather and be comfortable because I don't want to miss a minute of seeing Alaska.

I have a son who lives in the HEB area, not too far from the airport.

Barbara

You are certainly welcome. I believe that most Texas ladies know that Sheer Energy Panty Hose on the hottest things you can wear. I use those rather than long underwear.
You just reminded me of a tip from an old fisherman that I read in a sports magazine years ago. He said that fishermen found their wives' old panty hose to be the best thing to wear under their pants to keep warm in cold weather, better than buying thermal underwear or adding extra layers of bulky pants.

When are you going to Alaska?

We came back a couple of weeks ago. All that was required was some microfleeces and an outer coat in case it rains. I wore on deck a t-shirt, fleece and then outer coat if needed and I was on deck a lot of the time and feel the cold easily. I wore gloves once and a hat once. It was really warm when the sun came out. There really was not a problem. If you are going to Alaska later on in the year, I cannot comment.

Enjoy and just take some layers, you will have a fab time.

We were in Alaska early July. We were fine w/ capris, khaki pants, jeans, etc. You should be fine if you bring some layers, T necks, or fleece tops, w/ a jacket. However, you didn't say when you were going so that could make a difference.

You can also buy fleece items on LLBean website, Land's End. It only rained one day and we were on the ship that day. It was sunny and in 50-70 range the other days. Beautiful weather!

Mary

We were in Alaska on 6-8-10, had a wonderful time, the weather was in the 50's and 60's at that time, we also had a little rain. I was worried about clothes for months, but in the end I settled for jeans a couple of thermal colored outer pullovers, I brought a jacket on the ship that served as a raincoat also, it kept me very warm. In all the ports in Alaska coats are about $20. The only time we dressed was for formal night. Also the vacuum or roll bags worked wonderful. You will have a wonderful time.

We stayed at the Hilton in Anchorage beginning of July, this was part of our land tour package through HAL. It is a lovely hotel, w/ all the amenities. We really didn't get to enjoy everything as we were only there for one night. There was a flea market right across the street from the hotel. We were there on a Sunday so walked over there and bought nice fleece jackets for $25. each. It was a bit chilly that day and we enjoyed wearing them. We also walked a couple of blocks to where the trolley tour starts and there were many stores along the block where you could buy fleece really cheap. I don't think you will have a problem in Anchorage finding a jacket. As a matter of fact, whatever port you go in you will see them. My sister bought a nice one in Ketchikan and think she paid around $25. also.

Here is info I found on a website for flea market:

Locations and Hours

Mid-May through Mid-September every Saturday and Sunday.

10:00 am - 6:00 pm.

3rd Avenue between C and E Streets

Directions

Saturday/Sunday: Downtown, 3rd Ave between C and E Streets.

There is also a visitor's center located:

Anchorage Convention & Visitors Bureau Log Cabin

Gather brochures and ask the friendly volunteers questions at this charming sod-roofed cabin. Snap photos of wildflowers, a two-ton jade boulder, and a sign pointing to the world’s great cities.

7:30am - 7pm daily Corner or 4th Ave. & F St., (907-274-3531)

This is a great place to take wonderful photos. The flowers were so beautiful and it was a picturesque place to capture on film. Right across the street from here is where I saw shops selling souvenirs, fleece jackets, etc.

Mary

I hope my opinion is well received. As Texas Tillie indicated, Alaska is not a fashion show destination. Last year when I went to AK for the first time I did a fair amount of reading on these boards and carefully packed everything but the kitchen sink. I am going again this year and will be packing very differently. Alaska is pretty casual and a place to dress for comfort. This year I am planning on taking one formal black dress for formal nights. Aside from that, black slacks and blouses/sweaters will do in the dining room. As for the time viewing scenery and your time in ports, you can wear jeans, fleece pants, nylon pants or cotton pants. I'd wear layers - tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket and rain coat. You can wear the same outerwear every day. Jackets are very cheap in port ($20) so if you change your mind, clothing can always be purchased. I'd take a light hat for windy days and light gloves. There really isn't any need to go out and purchase real nice or expensive outdoor gear. My daughter backpacked AK for six weeks. In her situation she needed the expensive outdoor stuff (Cabellas or REI). In your case, if you get a little wet, you're only going to be there a few hours and then you will be back on the ship with a cup of hot chocolate and other clothes. I'd pack minimally but smart but not with high end expensive outdoors clothing that may only be worn once. A nice fleece pull over from Kohls or Pennys will do just fine.

Hi~~~ I just got back from Alaska 2 days ago. I would agree with Middle Aged and Happy. Pick one color scheme. I chose all black pants, dress, capris and shorts. I varied them with long sleeve and short sleeve tops. I took a fleece and a windbreaker with a hood. I wore long sleeve tops with my nice black pants for formal nights. I did take a sun dress from Hawaii and wore it with a sweater to dinner one evening and then used it as a cover up for the pool. I also took a raincoat with a hood and a poncho. We were VERY lucky with the weather and had sun 10 out of 12 days. Did use the raincoat once and never used our ponchos or umbrellas. When we viewing the glaciers, I was on the deck in a long sleeved top and a zip-up Alaska hoodie. I did not need my gloves or hat, but some people had theirs on! Enjoy ALASKA it's AWESOME!

• 1 month later...

As others have said, layering is the secret. you will find very few locals using umbrellas. They are a total pain, useless in wind, you cannot see very well using one, have to be handheld, etc. please use a poncho or jacket with hood and brim. When we lived in the NW rainforest, we could tell the tourists because they were the only ones w umbrellas....

In Ketchikan last month we had serious rain, but I tramped all the downtown with a stowaway jacket from LLBean and rain pants from REI that folded into a tiny pouch. I was warm, dry, and laughing at the rain!

Archived