Celebrity Summit versus Caribbean Princess

marthasunny

Hi!

I can't decide between the Celebrity Summit and the Caribbean Princess for a November cruise.

I want to learn on board. The more educational programs such as guest speakers and lectures that are offered during the cruise, the happier I'll be. I'm much less interested in classes about "hobbies" such as ceramics, computer, or arts classes.

Here are the itineraries.

Celebrity Summit:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

Basseterre, St Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

St. George's, Grenada

Scarborough, Tobago

Caribbean Princess:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Tortola, British Virgin Island

Antiqua

St Lucia

Barbados

From that information, which of these ships would you choose?

Thanks!

Hi,

I did this identical cruise on the Caribbean Princess in April 2009. Also, I am booked on the Celebrity Summit for the same itinerary that you list above for this November.

I really enjoyed the Caribbean Princess last year. The ship is nice (although a little crowded at times) and the ports were great. I particularly liked St. Lucia.

Of course, I can't really compare the cruises because I have not yet taken the Summit cruise. However, this itinerary really appeals to me (it gives me four new ports). This itinerary includes some ports that are not offered as often on cruise itineraries.

I think these are both good cruises. How do the prices compare? Are there any ports that you are particularly interested in visiting?

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed on both ships - Summit in 2006 (14 days)and Caribbean P (8 days) in 2009. Summit wins HANDS DOWN over CP for the ship itself, service and food. Activities were comparable. If the itineraries compare as well, then there would be no question which I'd take. However four years have passed since I've been on Summit, but she was certainly a beauty back then :)

I have sailed on both ships - Summit in 2006 (14 days)and Caribbean P (8 days) in 2009. Summit wins HANDS DOWN over CP for the ship itself, service and food. Activities were comparable. If the itineraries compare as well, then there would be no question which I'd take. However four years have passed since I've been on Summit, but she was certainly a beauty back then :)

I agree. Just off the Caribbean Princess and while it's a nice ship and I'd sail her again, all things being equal I'd sail on a Millennium class ship.

We were on the CP in March, our third time on her but the first since her refit. We were very impressed with the ship and service. Some of the things I like about Princess over Celebrity are the availability of the mini-suites, they do a great job with Anytime Dining, and the availability of laundry (that's a whole other topic but we're usually traveling with a teenage boy who can go through clothes in no time). Generally I have felt that Celebrity's food is better, but we found little to complain about on the CP. I was on the Celebrity Solstice in June in their specialty spa restaurant BLU and was very disappointed.

If you read postings on the Celebrity board, most comments are favorable to the Summit, although some do say there are things about her that are tired. She is due for refit in January 2012. We are sailing on the Mille in December due to the itinerary, and have some concerns about her being tired as well, but this will be our fourth trip on that ship and I expect to enjoy some of the beauty of her we've always enjoyed.

Do your research and since I don't think either ship will be bad, the itinerary might be your best guide this time.

I have traveled on both ships and found them comparable. I enjoyed both cruises--the Celebrity Summit for a Caribbean cruise, the Caribbean Princess for a New England cruise. The Celebrity has beautiful large public rooms, whereas the Caribbean Princess has smaller public rooms; I preferred the former. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the "Movies Under the Stars" open-air screen on the Caribbean Princess, which is not available on the Celebrity Summit. I also preferred the Caribbean Princess's option of a buffet for dinner; there is no such option on the Celebrity Summit, although it has a casual sit-down eatery and help-yourself salad and pizza stations at night. On the other hand, the Normandie on the Caribbean Princess was the best alternative restaurant I've ever eaten in.

In terms of lectures, this is not a speciality of either cruise line (Cunard is best at this), but the Caribbean Princess had a lecture on one of the Canadian ports by an author of a book that had recounted a disaster (an explosion of a war ship in Saint John, New Brunswick, as I recall) and a bagpipe concert from a local group in Nova Scotia; I do not know if it does similar local programs/lectures in the Caribbean. I do not recall anything similar on the Celebrity Summit.

I think both ships are great and you cannot go wrong with either one. Celebrity Summit is probably a little more upscale; Caribbean Princess a little more fun.

Happy cruising.

Definitely the Summit. All Celebrity ships tend to look a bit tired (and this is a relative term) compared to Princess ships. But if you can get past the self-serve laundry issue, we loved the Summit, and enjoyed some of the best food and service on that cruise ship that we've ever had on a cruise. I especially loved the extensive covered outdoor seating behind the buffet. Things may have changed, but in 2007 there was a guitarist back there at sailaway playing soft music. Heaven!!

I have traveled on both ships and found them comparable. I enjoyed both cruises--the Celebrity Summit for a Caribbean cruise, the Caribbean Princess for a New England cruise. The Celebrity has beautiful large public rooms, whereas the Caribbean Princess has smaller public rooms; I preferred the former. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the "Movies Under the Stars" open-air screen on the Caribbean Princess, which is not available on the Celebrity Summit. I also preferred the Caribbean Princess's option of a buffet for dinner; there is no such option on the Celebrity Summit, although it has a casual sit-down eatery and help-yourself salad and pizza stations at night. On the other hand, the Normandie on the Caribbean Princess was the best alternative restaurant I've ever eaten in.

In terms of lectures, this is not a speciality of either cruise line (Cunard is best at this), but the Caribbean Princess had a lecture on one of the Canadian ports by an author of a book that had recounted a disaster (an explosion of a war ship in Saint John, New Brunswick, as I recall) and a bagpipe concert from a local group in Nova Scotia; I do not know if it does similar local programs/lectures in the Caribbean. I do not recall anything similar on the Celebrity Summit.

I think both ships are great and you cannot go wrong with either one. Celebrity Summit is probably a little more upscale; Caribbean Princess a little more fun.

Happy cruising.

If I wasn't so hooked on a particular itinerary at the moment, I would choose the Summit for it's speciality dining. IMHO Celebrity is head & shoulders above Princess in this area. Dinner at the Normandie is not to be missed.....:):):)

Bob

If I wasn't so hooked on a particular itinerary at the moment, I would choose the Summit for it's speciality dining. IMHO Celebrity is head & shoulders above Princess in this area. Dinner at the Normandie is not to be missed.....:):):)

And, if you're Elite in the Captain's Club, high tea there is also pretty darn impressive!!

Can anybody else weigh in. I am trying to decide the same thing (different itineraries though). Im booked on CB, but am curious about Summit as the fares are now the same.

I do feel Celebrity delivers a better product. Princess is the bridesmaid - not the bride.

Happy cruising.

All celebrity ships have a nightly buffet- I have experienced them on a regular basis.

We have been on both ships in the southern caribbean and they are both great. I prefer the cruise that the day at sea is the last day NOT the first day if that makes a difference. We are back on the Summit in April with people we met the last time we did the summit in the caribbean.

BUT TO YOUR POINT ABOUT LEARNING....it's a big complaint of mine as neither line does much education unless it's the Alaska cruises. I mean come on how hard would it be. Heck I'd do a 45 minutes class on the history of the Caribbean. So if that is your real criteria....neither has any that I remember! Donna

We were on the CP in March, our third time on her but the first since her refit. We were very impressed with the ship and service. Some of the things I like about Princess over Celebrity are the availability of the mini-suites, they do a great job with Anytime Dining, and the availability of laundry (that's a whole other topic but we're usually traveling with a teenage boy who can go through clothes in no time). Generally I have felt that Celebrity's food is better, but we found little to complain about on the CP. I was on the Celebrity Solstice in June in their specialty spa restaurant BLU and was very disappointed.
I assume you mean the Caribbean Princess (CB), not the Sea Princess (CP). I'm reading this thread with interest since I'm booking the Celebrity Summit for next June.

FYI, the 2-letter abbreviations are the official Princess designations for the ships, not someone on Cruise Critic being picky. :) If you go to the Princess website and select "ships", check the url for each ship. You'll find the 2-letter abbreviation there.

All celebrity ships have a nightly buffet- I have experienced them on a regular basis.

Actually, I remeber that what they have in the evenings in the buffet is a made to order stir fry station, a made to order pizza station and a made to order sandwich station. And a simple tableside service area where you can choose from three entrees every night, but still dress casually. And of course the ice cream. Don't forget the ice cream. Celebrity's come a long way from when we first cruised them in 1999...then you ate in the dining room or had a burger by the pool. There are many more non-dining room options in the evening.

Actually, I remeber that what they have in the evenings in the buffet is a made to order stir fry station, a made to order pizza station and a made to order sandwich station. And a simple tableside service area where you can choose from three entrees every night, but still dress casually. And of course the ice cream. Don't forget the ice cream. Celebrity's come a long way from when we first cruised them in 1999...then you ate in the dining room or had a burger by the pool. There are many more non-dining room options in the evening.

This is correct. The tableside service is a nice alternative to the MDR, and the service is very attentive due to the fact that the waitstaff is in training, and highly supervised by superiors. Definitely a cut above just buffet service in the evenings.

Archived