Advice? Should I cancel booking thru TA and rebook?

bjkTX

My last several cruises, including two currently booked, were booked through a TA that used to be very popular here - when we could mention TAs :-) I have always been happy with the initial quotes, and the promise to pass on any price reductions.

The quality of service has deteriorated to the point I sent an email a few months ago saying I was losing confidence in them. Small things, booking errors, typos, not even capitalizing my name until I brought it up.

Almost all of our cruises have gone down in price before final payment date, and when I've pointed it out, I have normally (but not always) received a reduction - never to the extent of the reduction I could find online, but enough to keep me going.

A cruise we're going on in Feb 2011 just got reduced $300 a person this week. I checked the online sites I normally use to validate prices and they went down $250+ per person and were now $500 less than our booking price.

We paid the cruise off a few months ago (for credit card usage reasons) and we were assured any price drops would be honored.

I contacted the TA this morning with the data I had gathered, and I just received an email saying they had requested a $377 refund from Princess. That still leave our price $200 more than I can book it for online.

So here's the question. Has anyone had any experience canceling a booking (paid up) through a TA and then booking the same cruise though another source - and if so, how did it work out. One of the questions would be getting the two FCCs reinstated.

I'm not sure I want to do that yet, but I'm considering it. When we booked I referred friends to the one online site and right away they ended paying $40 less than we had, now it stands to be $200 less.

My main concern will be cabin selection - since I booked one of the aft facing balcony cabins.

Thoughts - suggestions?

I don't think you can transfer a booking that's been fully paid. I've transferred bookings in the past from one TA to another but that was before final payment. It was a bit of a hassle since I needed statements from both TAs that I was changing, but I was able to do it.

In April, I'm going on a cruise with a friend and we've booked side-by-side cabins using different TAs. She's paying $200 less so I'm debating whether to ask my TA to match the price or come close, or switch TAs for this cruise.

That is one of the reasons not to pay a cruise off before it is due. When a person pays off a cruise, the TA is sent their commission. TA's don't like refunding commission [too much paperwork and hassle] so they conveniently drag their feet in getting the lower fare or say they couldn't get the lower price at all. Scummy but it happens all the time. FCC's will be tough as you are not likely to be able to do it a second time if the first booking used it. In a case like that, you may end up cutting off your nose to spite your face and the TA knows it.

I am going to guess that I once used the same TA and switched because of the same reasons you wrote about. Discounted prices are wonderful, but without service included, price drops and keeping promises made, it is time to shop around for a new travel agent (I did just that).

I agree with the others though, once the cruise is paid in full, I don't think you can transfer it to another agent. BUT, I would give Princess a call and double check on that, just to make sure.

All I can say is that if you are having the same problems we did, I don't blame you a bit for wanting to switch to someone new. Good Luck!

Thanks all. I really wasn't thinking about transferring the booking - simply canceling the one I have and booking it again with someone else. With the FCCs and the payment in full issues I'll probably just leave it alone - and bypass that TA in the future.

That is one of the reasons not to pay a cruise off before it is due. When a person pays off a cruise, the TA is sent their commission. TA's don't like refunding commission [too much paperwork and hassle] so they conveniently drag their feet in getting the lower fare or say they couldn't get the lower price at all. Scummy but it happens all the time. FCC's will be tough as you are not likely to be able to do it a second time if the first booking used it. In a case like that, you may end up cutting off your nose to spite your face and the TA knows it.

Yes, that's technically true, but most TAs will not actually get their commission in hand until 1-3 months after sailing depending on a few factors. One of the reasons for this is because of possible price drops. If there's a price drop, part of the agent's commission is "recalled" or taken back from the cruise agency who is usually holding it until sometime after sailing.

bjkTX - you have a tough choice to make:

1. Completely cancel the booking and risk losing the cabin

2. Keep the cabin, learn a lesson and don't book with that agency in the future

Either way, it's a hard lesson to learn. :( I've never had a booking transfered to me after final payment was made. Wishing you good luck with it.

A cruise we're going on in Feb 2011 just got reduced $300 a person this week. I checked the online sites I normally use to validate prices and they went down $250+ per person and were now $500 less than our booking price.

We paid the cruise off a few months ago (for credit card usage reasons) and we were assured any price drops would be honored.

Since it's not yet past your cruise final payment date, you should be able to change TAs no matter how much you've paid toward your cruise.

I personally would change the TA immediately!

Spend your time and effort productively by changing to a responsive TA now instead of wasting your time/effort over the next few months trying to get your TA to give you good customer service!

You shouldn't have to pay more for your cruise because your TA is unwilling or too lazy to reduce your fare!!

Since it's not yet past your cruise final payment date, you should be able to change TAs no matter how much you've paid toward your cruise.

I personally would change the TA immediately!

Spend your time and effort productively by changing to a responsive TA now instead of wasting your time/effort over the next few months trying to get your TA to give you good customer service!

You shouldn't have to pay more for your cruise because your TA is unwilling or too lazy to reduce your fare!!

OP states the cruise was "paid off" a few months ago.

Ciao for now!!!

Cancel booking , contact Princess Captains Circle to reinstate FCC.

Make a new booking with a good TA when FFC is reinstated (look for a "Princess Commodore" on the Princess.com site).You will lose the cabin & dining preferences .

TA may charge a small cancelation fee (if it is stated on the invoice you received). The cruise line penalty is $0 as long as it is canceled before "Princess" final payment date. The fact that you paid in full has no bearing on the cancelation penalty periods.

Once cancelation is complete , your new TA may be able to recover your cabin , but that's a slim chance of proper timimg.

If the agent is who I think it is - I have known a lot of people who have switched.

I would see if you could transfer the booking back to Princess (keep your cabin) and then transfer it to another agent. Not sure if you can do this after you have made final payment but I would definitely try.

Driveslikemario, I have always gotten the commisson within 3 weeks of paying off the cruise, whether it is paid in advance or paid on the actual final payment date.

I would never recommend paying off a cruise prior to final payment date, however if people insist I do it, then I do it.

Driveslikemario, I have always gotten the commisson within 3 weeks of paying off the cruise, whether it is paid in advance or paid on the actual final payment date.

I would never recommend paying off a cruise prior to final payment date, however if people insist I do it, then I do it.

It depends on who you work for and their policy on payment.

Archived