How much actual time in Rome?

excaluber

I've never been on a cruise, but i'm looking at one that stops in Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Which i understand is roughly a 90 minute train ride from port.

So if the itinerary of the ship is to arrive at 7:00 am, and depart at 8:00pm.

My question is, by the time you get off the boat, catch a train, and then allow for a train back and boarding.

How much time do you really have to walk around in Rome? My educated guess is about 8 hours. Is that to hopeful? Or about right?

Man, thats sorta depressing really.

I stayed in rome for a few months, and I had all sorts of ideas dancing around in my head of what I wanted to show my fiance. But 8 hours really kills most of those. Its going to have to either be a broad drive by, or pick 3-4 attractions and enjoy those.

And be sure if you take the train that you allow a lot of time to get back just in case the train is cancelled, or the train is delayed and or breaks down. You need to be back on the ship 30 minutes before departure. The train station at the port is about 10 minutes from the pier and once inside the pier it take a while to get to the ship as it is a large pier.

Keith

Yes, about 8 hours ... you'll probably be able to catch a train at 8 a.m. to Rome, and will want to be back in Civitavecchia about an hour prior to sailing ... so a departure from Rome around 5:30.

Depending on your itinerary in Rome, you can shorten the train journey a bit (and maximize your sightseeing time) by using San Pietro and Ostiense stops (instead of Roma Termini ... the main station.)

Here's a link to a very informative thread by euro cruiser that might help with your DIY planning.

Man, thats sorta depressing really.

I stayed in rome for a few months, and I had all sorts of ideas dancing around in my head of what I wanted to show my fiance. But 8 hours really kills most of those. Its going to have to either be a broad drive by, or pick 3-4 attractions and enjoy those.

Why not look for an itinerary that begins or ends in Rome and spend a few days there pre or post cruise? We did that on our last cruise as the one day stop in Rome on the previous cruise was just a teaser.

Why not look for an itinerary that begins or ends in Rome and spend a few days there pre or post cruise? We did that on our last cruise as the one day stop in Rome on the previous cruise was just a teaser.

That might be an option, but of all the ones i've seen it looks like we really need to be on a cruise that starts in venice and ends in barcelona to capture all the different places we would like to try and see.

That might be an option, but of all the ones i've seen it looks like we really need to be on a cruise that starts in venice and ends in barcelona to capture all the different places we would like to try and see.

That sounds like the Ruby Princess itinerary, which is a great itinerary. While you may not get all of the time that you want in Rome, you can get multiple days in both Venice and Barcelona. Have a great cruise.

They both look pretty awesome... the HAL one just includes a couple key spots we'd like to see like Santorini.

However i've been looking at the itinerary for both cruises and some of the stops are pretty short. Like the HAL santorini one arrives at 11am and departs at 6pm.

So while the itinerary looks awesome i'm trying to get a feel for how long we really have at these places

Like the HAL santorini one arrives at 11am and departs at 6pm.

That's a real negative if Santorini is one of your 'must see' places. The time that you have to factor in for tendering and cable car will eat into that short 7 hour stop.

Sadly you have discovered the sad reality of crusing the Med. Many cities you'd like to visit like Amalfi, Florence, Rome are far enough away with a 7am to 6pm you can easily spend 3 hours or more roundtrip. If you DIY and factor waiting and for trains, bus etc. you are left often with less then 6 hours of real touring time. With that cost comes the abilit on one trip to hit 10-12 different places in a week. Something impossible to do by land.

THus one should consider ones must sees and the value of Private vehicle waiting for you right at dock time.

Happy planning!

I've never been on a cruise, but i'm looking at one that stops in Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Which i understand is roughly a 90 minute train ride from port.

So if the itinerary of the ship is to arrive at 7:00 am, and depart at 8:00pm.

My question is, by the time you get off the boat, catch a train, and then allow for a train back and boarding.

How much time do you really have to walk around in Rome? My educated guess is about 8 hours. Is that to hopeful? Or about right?

Archived