Alaskan Cruise

jazzyj40

I am very interesting in booking a cruise with Carnival on the Spirit. Has anyone taken this cruise that can tell me what it is like? Is it better to have a outside cabin or a balcony. Please respond I am excited and hope to receive a few good responces. Thank you

For me at least the most important thing in crusing is lining up the ports. Second of course is picking the line that best fits my price/style.

IMHO you should consider carefully what scenic crusing you want, whether one way or roundtrip. If you only do this once the one way from Vancouver with sailing to Glacier and/or Hubbard is the way to go. I'm not familar enought with how many ships and sailings Carnival has there, but I know Princess and Hal have many ships and options both roundtrip and one way.

I'd make that decision first then be obsessed with the ship. It would be a pity to get carnival and your ship but miss Glacier bay for example.

As to inside or outside, we scored inside cabins for 799 and outside for a tad more then 1599 I think. Only you can figure out if it is going to be worth it. Unlike the Carribean where its 80 or something its cooler 60-70 and often much cooler in Alaska. The views are to die for early in the morning and evening ( before 6am and after 10pm ). I booked balcony but when I was out there during the best viewing it was funny didn't see many people. IMHO if you can afford balcony and the best excursion do both, if you can only afford one of the two I'd spring for whale watching, helicopter landing/dog sledding or fishing over a balcony any day.

Happy planning!

I am very interesting in booking a cruise with Carnival on the Spirit. Has anyone taken this cruise that can tell me what it is like? Is it better to have a outside cabin or a balcony. Please respond I am excited and hope to receive a few good responces. Thank you

We did the Spirit last August and had a baclony but we always do. I like a balcony room, pure and simple. It's up to the individual. You can see everything from up top or your baclony. If you get a baclony make sure you get the side that cruises along the shore line so you can see the sights. The cruise was great, just very little sunshine, one day in fact.

There are photo sites with tons of photos from Alaskan cruisers. These sites will give you a good taste of the cruise. And as beautiful as those photos are, the real thing is so much better.

I leave in less than 2 weeks and because it's Alaska, I would not consider anything BUT a balcony. The sheer beauty of Alaska (I used to live in the Aleutians) is worth the cost.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

I just got back the 1st of July from the Spirit in Alaska. I had an amazing time. The beauty of Alaska is unbelievable. We had an OV and were extremely pleased with it, but frankly we spent most time on deck where we could go from side to side to see the views. The Spirit is a great ship and I loved the layout.

100_4644.jpg.f18f5d5e1ec67686d06964732bdead11.jpg

100_4499.jpg.942e9531ec8a20057e6b0b51d08b8de2.jpg

IMGA0332.jpg.6b2cb3f230a9d0199f78832464fc49a0.jpg

We had an Oceanview for Alaska on the Spirit last August. It was fine. When we were scenic cruising we spent the time on the open decks because this enabled us to see both sides of the action. When at the Glaciers the ship did a full 360 turn anyway for all to see.

Was on the Spirit again this past April for Hawaii. Love the ship and the crew were fantastic. If your interested check out my video on the video page under sayvan- Carnival Spirit. Its about 6 0r 7 minutes of a little tour around the ship.

We're heading up to Alaska on Spirit on Tuesday. Booked two port side balconies (one for DH and me, one for another couple that we're really good friends with ). We plan on spending as much time as possible either on our balconies, or up top with everyone else.

I am planning on writing a review, complete with pictures and links to video.

Is observing glacies and calving not availble from the open Deck. I guess if its cold, raining then having the ability to duck into ones warm cabin is a plus. I've been on two Alaskan cruise and enjoyed the balcony, but have to say I don't agree its the one place one has to have balcony.

I was on it mine a lot, didn't see too many others most times, it was very odd matter of fact as the weather and views were spectacular. When we were in the most scenic places, glacier bay, tracy arm, college fjord the weather was good to spectacular and found it easy to get open deck space to watch and enjoy. Another thing for those who can't decide if balcony is worth it and worried about deck space, the majority of the cabins are ocean view, thus you will only have to contend on open deck with those on the "wrong" side or inside and a few of the balcony lovers who end up finding the open deck really is best ;)

If budget was as a concern the money saved booking inside can easily pay for a very expensive excursion. Of course having the ability to do both is the best :D

One last note if you don't pick the right sailing then the whole glacier viewing and calving will be a mute point, but the narrow fjords are spectacular nevertheless.

Happy planning!

This is considered to be the ONE cruise where you want to spring for a balcony. The ice "calves" and will be breaking off during the night and day and if you are in your cabin you will want to HEAR it, not just see it thru a window.

You need to decide on Itinerary:

One-way Northbound or Southbound usually Vancouver/Anchorage for which the airfare is much more expensive (and limited out of Anchorage) but you do see Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Vancouver is expensive but worth a pre-cruise day or two (Monitor the Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific Hotel sites for special rates - both are on the Bay immediately across from the Canada Place cruise pier and adjacent to many scenic sites). See the Alaskan Heritage Village in Anchorage and the Museum.

Round Trip usually out of Seattle - less expensive R/T airfare and you may not see Glacier Bay and or College Fjord. Overall a less expensive trip than a one-way.

You need to decide on Cabin Category: A Balcony is not essential as you can see everything from the decks (and many view the Glaciers from the decks) but definitely IS nice to see the shoreline as you cruise by and to sit and see the towns as you port, usually EARLY each morning. You can do glacier viewing from Balcony as the ship usually turns and sits so both sides can see the Glaciers and watch for calving or you can watch from the decks and get a "bigger" view. In rainy weather a covered Balcony is desirable!!!!

Weather: Layer and Layer. We went late August and it was fortunately Sunny and literally Jeans and shirtsleeve weather in Vancouver, on the cruise and in Anchorage - EXCEPT in Glacier Bay and College Fjord where it was sock hat and winter jacket bundle-up time.

The Excursions are extremely expensive as compared to Caribbean cruises (our excursions were more than the Balcony Cruisefare) and the more popular ones do fill. The Ports of Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway have lots of shopping and are at/near the piers. Ketchikan has a scenic walking tour and the Lumber Jack show. Skagway has quite a few excursions, with numerous variations of the not-to-be-missed White Pass Railroad - we did the White Pass Railroad Yukon Territory which was GREAT - you can get your passport stamped at the Post Office - General Store. Juneau also has a number of excursions - we did Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching; many ships are in Juneau early morning to 9:00PM and I'd recommend an independent whale-watching tour thats smaller (fewer people on the boats) with zero chance of returning late to miss departure. If you're going into or out of Anchorage, consider a TOUR/Transfer to Whittier or Seward.

We did 7-Day Northbound out of Vancouver (with 3 pre-days in Vancouver at the Fairmont Waterfront) on the Diamond Princess. We liked Princess and the Diamond but could easily have done Carnival Spirit. Princess enthusiastically gives you price reductions if you see the fare drop and call-in, and voluntarily reduces your Trip Protection insurance premium if you fall into a lower premium band, which we did twice. (We used Princess Insurance this time, as they include "Cancel for Any Reason" 75% future cruise credit and we have comprehensive out-of-country Medical).

ken

In June we'll be on the Spirit for the fourth time--third to Alaska. We've done northbound (August 2001) and southbound (August 2007). There are pros and cons for us doing a round-trip, but we're definitely looking forward to sailing on the Spirit again.

I'm one of those who wouldn't even consider an Alaska cruise without a balcony (we have an aft wrap booked for June :D). We spend a ton of time on the balcony and consider it well worth the investment. The absolute best part of both our previous cruises was the time we spent on the balcony watching the scenery.

We've enjoyed every excursion we've done--our favorites being bear viewing at Anan Creek, wildlife tour, and salmon fishing. Most we book through vendors and not the ship for a more personalized experience. Our least favorite excursion was the White Pass and Yukon Railroad tour--I know that many people consider it a highlight, but we found the narration cheesy and the excursion to be too slow-paced for our tastes, though we did enjoy the scenery and I'm glad we did it. But, I wouldn't do it again.

Definitely do your homework and prioritize what you want out of an Alaska cruise. If it's wildlife you want to see or salmon fishing or dog sledding or whatever, you'll want to time your trip accordingly.

Prepare yourself for a fantastic trip on a great ship. :D

The Spirit is a great ship, (my 1st Cruise Love)

Going to be on her again, in 24 days...

The Glacier Bay sailing...If you can get the time off and have the $$ for Airfare, the Cruise prices keep going down as it gets closer.

If not, I would say, jump onto a CC Group, I think there is one for next summer.

Best way to save a few $$ make some friends, and see Alaska.

I hope to do a review when I get back, but if my breath is taken away, and I am speechless, I don't know how I will get it done :D

I am looking forward to Alaska, and have NO Worries about the Spirit. Great ship!

Archived