Loyal Royal Giving X a First Time Try

bajathree

With the recent Jan price drops on Solstice and OBC offers along with 3 cabins need it made X EXTREMELY attractive. I am also Diamond on Royal which makes me Elite on X. We are excited to try the change.....any tips on either X or S class would be much appreciated:)

With the recent Jan price drops on Solstice and OBC offers along with 3 cabins need it made X EXTREMELY attractive. I am also Diamond on Royal which makes me Elite on X. We are excited to try the change.....any tips on either X or S class would be much appreciated:)

We D+ on Royal and have cruised 4 times on Celebrity - twice on the old Horizon and twice on Millinieum and enjoyed every one. We find Celebrity service to be perhaps on a bit higher level but we definitely like the Royal ships better. We're booked on the January 16 Solstice and looking forward to it. When are you sailing?

We D+ on Royal and have cruised 4 times on Celebrity - twice on the old Horizon and twice on Millinieum and enjoyed every one. We find Celebrity service to be perhaps on a bit higher level but we definitely like the Royal ships better. We're booked on the January 16 Solstice and looking forward to it. When are you sailing?

Hi Janet....We are on the Jan 2 sailing. We had Allure booked for this date but with the switch over we were able to go from 2 standard balconies and an interior for my mom to upgrading to 3 CC balconies at a savings of over $2500. I was even able to grab 2 of the extended hump balconies:D We have 2 girls ages 12 and 16.....my 73 old mom is also joining us on this one. We are doing Freedom in Nov and Allure for Spring Break in March....so the kids will have their fill on those sailings....this will be the chill pill between. Actually after looking at the pix my kids are even excited....they love good food and service....so I sold them on that:D Always exciting to try new things....ship looks wonderful and have heard of lots of good things....and it takes us eastern for once....all my Royal dates have been falling western lately......so thats a nice change also.

We are also planning our 1st Celeb cruise (Eclipse, Jan 15) after 7 RCCL cruises. I have no complaints with RCCL, and had actually booked a Liberty cruise, but this Celeb cruise fits our schedule better, and we got a balcony cabin for almost the same price we were paying for an Inside on Liberty.

I've looked at some Celeb menus - quite different than RCCL. I also like the wider variety of drink packages. Overall, I think I'll find some things I'll like better on Celeb, but I'm sure we'll be back to RCCL sometime in the future.

Make sure you call the Captains Club for a number and have them associate that number with your cruise. You will not get the Elite benfits unless you do this as they won't know you are on board...

Make sure you call the Captains Club for a number and have them associate that number with your cruise. You will not get the Elite benfits unless you do this as they won't know you are on board...

Thanks for the heads up:).....it was the first thing I did after I made my resi....all done and checked twice;)

Hi Janet....We are on the Jan 2 sailing. We had Allure booked for this date but with the switch over we were able to go from 2 standard balconies and an interior for my mom to upgrading to 3 CC balconies at a savings of over $2500. I was even able to grab 2 of the extended hump balconies:D We have 2 girls ages 12 and 16.....my 73 old mom is also joining us on this one. We are doing Freedom in Nov and Allure for Spring Break in March....so the kids will have their fill on those sailings....this will be the chill pill between. Actually after looking at the pix my kids are even excited....they love good food and service....so I sold them on that:D Always exciting to try new things....ship looks wonderful and have heard of lots of good things....and it takes us eastern for once....all my Royal dates have been falling western lately......so thats a nice change also.

we are on the Jan 2 cruise as well ... welcome aboard !! :)

We used to be Royal Loyal too :-) However, after trying X, we're totally hooked! One of the biggest things that I noticed is how not-crowded the ship is. We felt that Solstice was much more spacious and had very few crowd experiences. We didn't struggle to find seats at the shows (though, in all fairness, the shows aren't nearly as good at Royal shows... so maybe not as many people go to them!). We didn't struggle to find pool chairs or wait a long time for tenders. I loved using as many towels as I wanted and not having to wait to check them out with my card. Also love the lack of announcements.

I also thought that the MDR food was superior. I know this is subjective and also varies from cruise to cruise, but the salads were colder and the soups were hotter etc. The specialty restaurants on Royal are really special, but the ones on Celebrity were incredible!

Overall, I think you'll find that Celebrity is more of a relaxing vacation, while Royal is geared toward an adventurous vacation. Sounds like you'll have a good mix of both in the coming months!

we are on the Jan 2 cruise as well ... welcome aboard !! :)

Just joined the roll call this AM:)

We used to be Royal Loyal too :-) However, after trying X, we're totally hooked! One of the biggest things that I noticed is how not-crowded the ship is. We felt that Solstice was much more spacious and had very few crowd experiences. We didn't struggle to find seats at the shows (though, in all fairness, the shows aren't nearly as good at Royal shows... so maybe not as many people go to them!). We didn't struggle to find pool chairs or wait a long time for tenders. I loved using as many towels as I wanted and not having to wait to check them out with my card. Also love the lack of announcements.

I also thought that the MDR food was superior. I know this is subjective and also varies from cruise to cruise, but the salads were colder and the soups were hotter etc. The specialty restaurants on Royal are really special, but the ones on Celebrity were incredible!

Overall, I think you'll find that Celebrity is more of a relaxing vacation, while Royal is geared toward an adventurous vacation. Sounds like you'll have a good mix of both in the coming months!

Sounds GREAT:cool: I think with my mom along on this one it will be just perfect. I already booked a couple of the specialties as I love Chops and Portofino on Royal. Hopefully S will still be all in her Holiday dress also.

Have been on two Royal cruises, and I prefer Celebrity by far, but it all depends what you like.

As an Elite member, you will find Captains Club rewards much more similar to what the Diamond awards USED to be on Royal, so I think you will like that.

As you may have read elsewhere, many people think that Celebrity offers a little more laid back, quiet, elegant-type cruise versus a little more active, party-oriented Royal cruise. Nothing wrong with either - just depends on what you like.

I agree with the poster who said the Celebrity ships feel less crowded. I have found this to be the case. I also found the ships overall to be much less noisy. By that I mean everything from quieter behavior by passengers, to fewer children, to fewer (no) announcements, to quieter music in the lounges. There are of course exceptions to every rule based on sailings/individual ships, but these are what I have experienced.

As elite on X, you can enjoy the lovely perks of the elite breakfast lounge in Michael's Club each morning and the cocktail hour in the evening. They offer a continental breakfast, smoothies (delicious!), coffees etc. with fantastic service...very relaxing. The cocktail hour is nice as well, and socializing with others at these events is fun. You'll also get the elite coupons for free internet time and a bag of laundry, among other things. Enjoy your first X cruise!

We are also Loyal Royal cruisers (Diamond+) and had done a couple of X cruises some years ago. When X improved the Elite benefits we decided to give Celebrity another go and loved it. Since then we have been on Equinox, Eclipse and have booked Connie for the TA in Nov. We have definately not ruled out doing any more Royal cruises and in between Equinox and Eclipse we took a cruise on the Oasis (you just have to try it for the experience).

As elite on X, you can enjoy the lovely perks of the elite breakfast lounge in Michael's Club each morning and the cocktail hour in the evening. They offer a continental breakfast, smoothies (delicious!), coffees etc. with fantastic service...very relaxing. The cocktail hour is nice as well, and socializing with others at these events is fun. You'll also get the elite coupons for free internet time and a bag of laundry, among other things. Enjoy your first X cruise!

Sounds great....thanks for the info:)

We are also Loyal Royal cruisers (Diamond+) and had done a couple of X cruises some years ago. When X improved the Elite benefits we decided to give Celebrity another go and loved it. Since then we have been on Equinox, Eclipse and have booked Connie for the TA in Nov. We have definately not ruled out doing any more Royal cruises and in between Equinox and Eclipse we took a cruise on the Oasis (you just have to try it for the experience).

Yes...the Elite benefits on the X side are more attractive than Diamond on the Royal side....the one plus to Diamond I would say is the balcony discount they offer. I was on Oasis for the naming ceremony as well as the inaugural.....yes it was incredible.....very unique ship:cool:

We Have sailed on the Jewel and the Liberty. Loved them both, food was much better on the Liberty of the seas. The buffet IMHO is better on RCCL but the MDR is better on Celebrity. I loved Blu on the Solstace and w S class ships we'll always sail AQ, because you get to dine in Blu. My point is I really can't see how you can go wrong w either line. We are sailing on the Summit and are looking forward to ELITE benefits they have changed for the better! Enjoy our cruise I am sure you'll love it!

Hi Bajathree! We have sailed exclusively on RC from 2002 thru 2009. Friends finally convinced us to try the Solstice Eastern Caribbean route, this last February -- and we loved it!! :D

We also are C&A Diamond, and were very impressed with the Elite perks. Food and service were great, and there was plenty to do onboard. Unless your life is not complete without a rock-climbing wall or skating rink, I think you will find X (particularly Solstice Class) pleasantly surprising! :p

PS -- Please don't get me wrong -- we still love Royal too. Looking forward to Halloween on Mariner of the Seas! :D

I to have done 8 RCCL and have been reading about celebrity Saw that you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine on board with you Is that true Also if this is first cruise should you join Captains Club before you board or on board Thanks for help

I to have done 8 RCCL and have been reading about celebrity Saw that you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine on board with you Is that true Also if this is first cruise should you join Captains Club before you board or on board Thanks for help

All are allowed the two bottles on wine (or champagne) on Celebrity.

I would join the CC before boarding.

Can someone give me an idea of what time they usually start boarding S :confused: On know on Royal it's usually around 11:30.

Hi, same time:D:)....I always board somewhere in the noon

hour...11:30.....is good:D

A couple of things to do: try the Bistro on 5. It is a cafe with light crepes, salads and panini sandwiches. Costs $5pp. It's open from 6am to 2am the next day. One of our favorite altenative places that doesn't req reservations, and can just step in and enjoy. Outstanding service. It's open on departure day so its an alternative to the buffet which can be a bi crowded on depart day. Do love the buffet - lots of stations and many, many options so not standing in lines and so on. I'm not a big buffet person, but it works on S-Class very well.

The library and card room open onto the atrium and elevators - not noisy or distracting - makes both much more open and inviting. I'm a people-watcher and your not shutaway and still enjoy the ship activity a bit.

There are many neat options on S-Class. Nice bars and lounges that range from the Martini ice bar to the open bar next to the lawn topside.

Enjoy!

Denny

Archived