any good tours with out nudity.

Everytime I start to get excited about a tour it gets ruined by the possibility of having to see someone naked! I really don't want to expose my daughter to this, let alone myself. Loved the idea of captain alans catamaran. Sure am glad I researched that one a little more! Also Bernards tour sounds great, just the choice of beach he chooses which I hear is beautiful and I would normally want to go there.

Any suggestion of for equal excitement with a little less exposure?

We toured with Bernard's and they were wonderful and I am sure if you explain to him your concerns, he can suggest an itinerary that would work for you. Most of St Maarten beaches are clothing optional and there is a full nude beach next to Orient Beach but I have heard there are a couple beaches that are more kid friendly and I am sure he will know which ones.

You may have to book a private tour instead of the standard tour as the standard tour does go to Orient Beach, which is a beautiful beach but does have some topless women and the nude beach next door.

Most of St Maarten beaches are clothing optional

Uhm - this is simply NOT true. "Clothing optional" means full nudity is permitted. Only a couple of beaches on St Martin permit full nudity - Orient Beach and a couple of others.

I assume that you meant toplessness is permitted on most St Martin beaches. THAT is true. One can find some topless women on nearly all beaches - since it is perfectly legal and acceptable. Some beaches may have more topless women (like Orient beach) and on some there may be only a couple of women topless or even none (Divi and Le Gallion).

You are correct that a tour guide is likely to know which beaches have more or less toplessness.

For me, it's not my kids that I would worry about, if they were still young and living at home, because I've always encouraged them to be open and accepting... however, my DH has never been quite as liberal, and as we will be in St. Maarten in March for the first time, I think he might be in for a little shockeroo and will probably have a coronary if we see nude/partially nude sunbathers! OMG... I think I'm going to have so much fun with this...! LOL:D

The first time we ever visited Orient Beach during a cruise, it was a sobering experience. I actually felt sorry for me that I had been so conservative, sheltered and closed mind to what the world was all about. My thoughts quickly became more concerned about human nature...MY HUMAN NATURE! :eek: So I agreed with me that I should enjoy the beautiful water, the sky and the sea birds and not be distracted by others who didn't worry about laundry.

Orient beach is too beautiful to miss. You can get a taxi from the pier or even a local bus over. yes there is nudity sometimes Once we saw a couple with nothing on except Christmas hats. They were oblivious to everyone around. It sure made interesting talk around the diner table that night.

Orient beach is too beautiful to miss. You can get a taxi from the pier or even a local bus over. yes there is nudity sometimes Once we saw a couple with nothing on except Christmas hats. They were oblivious to everyone around. It sure made interesting talk around the diner table that night.

And that is the essential Orient Beach spirit.

Once, we went to Orient off a cruise ship with ship towels and tote bags so the Club Orient crowd knew who we were. As we set our stuff down next to the two loungers we had chosen, a slighly sloshed women with a dynomite body and many strands of beads around her neck bounced over to us and offered us several strands if we went native. Since we were planning to do so anyway I said fine but told her to wait until we were finished and she did. That was fun since she placed the strings of beads on our necks herself.:D:D.

Of course, she was wearing nothing except her all-over tan, a big smile and the beads.:D:D

And by the way, I look like an over the hill short football player gone slightly pudgy, which is my business and nobody elses.

2363120140096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Those last posts are why I'm worried about nude beaches. It's not prudishness, it's self-esteem issues :) I don't like going to the beach even clothed, because I think everyone looks better than me! I happily sunbathe nude in my yard but there's no way I'll work up the nerve to do it on my upcoming cruise. When I see those "dynamite bod" women it's just gonna depress me.

Those last posts are why I'm worried about nude beaches. It's not prudishness, it's self-esteem issues :) I don't like going to the beach even clothed, because I think everyone looks better than me! I happily sunbathe nude in my yard but there's no way I'll work up the nerve to do it on my upcoming cruise. When I see those "dynamite bod" women it's just gonna depress me.

Trust me, there are more people who shouldn't be undressed than there are "bomshells"..I know firsthand!

Everyone has their own comfort level, but as I tell friends - take a look around at the adults in church - that's who (age, body shape/style) you will see at Club Orient. So, therefore, most of us will fit right in...

In my opinion, no one has the right to say who should or should not be undressed at a clothing optional beach. The clothing optional beach users are there for their own enjoyment - not as entertainment for gawkers. You don't like what you find - stop gawking and leave.

Everyone has their own comfort level, but as I tell friends - take a look around at the adults in church - that's who (age, body shape/style) you will see at Club Orient. So, therefore, most of us will fit right in...

In my opinion, no one has the right to say who should or should not be undressed at a clothing optional beach. The clothing optional beach users are there for their own enjoyment - not as entertainment for gawkers. You don't like what you find - stop gawking and leave.

Well said!

I get really annoyed at people whose comments seem to indicate that their biggest objection to naturists is that they don't have perfect bodies - I find this very rude and judgemental.

I'm sorry if my post led to any arguing here. After reading some of the responses to the OP, I wanted to point out that not everyone who avoids a nude beach is against nudity. I would give anything to have the confidence to bare it all in public. But I'm not at that point. On my cruise, it will be a personal victory to just be seen in a bathing suit anywhere. The U.S. culture could learn alot from other countries that have acceptance of the human body in it's natural state. Maybe then I wouldn't have body image issues (like many other women and men I'm sure).

Thanks to all who've posted info on beaches here. Hopefully I'll be at one someday!

I'm sorry if my post led to any arguing here. After reading some of the responses to the OP, I wanted to point out that not everyone who avoids a nude beach is against nudity. I would give anything to have the confidence to bare it all in public. But I'm not at that point. On my cruise, it will be a personal victory to just be seen in a bathing suit anywhere. The U.S. culture could learn alot from other countries that have acceptance of the human body in it's natural state. Maybe then I wouldn't have body image issues (like many other women and men I'm sure).

Thanks to all who've posted info on beaches here. Hopefully I'll be at one someday!

Orient Beach would probably be a good beach for you to go to because you WILL see ALL body types in various states of clothing and unclothing. I am too shy to go nude myself (but I long ago realized that me in a bathing suit is MY business whatever shape my body is in). I have a close friend who is a naturist and I have been with her on Orient Beach and frankly the way she chooses to dress or undress is for herself. Don't worry about other people, just enjoy yourself - however you are dressed or undressed.

I used to live in St. Maarten, many years ago. At the time Orient was the only "official" nude beach. It used to be that the majority of the beaches on the French side were more apt to have topless women than the Dutch side. I don't know if that still hold true, but that's the way it used to be. There used to be a nice little beach down the hill from Pelican Resort. And there used to be some nice little beaches in the Beacon Hill area. I don't know about the beaches there used to be in the Mullet Bay area. Good luck. Have fun

Everytime I start to get excited about a tour it gets ruined by the possibility of having to see someone naked! I really don't want to expose my daughter to this, let alone myself. Loved the idea of captain alans catamaran. Sure am glad I researched that one a little more! Also Bernards tour sounds great, just the choice of beach he chooses which I hear is beautiful and I would normally want to go there.

Any suggestion of for equal excitement with a little less exposure?

I've only been to St. Maarten once so my experience is limted. But, if you want to avoid nudity, your best bet is to avoid the beaches. Maybe look for a tour that's just shopping or maybe a tour of the Butterfly Farm. You don't mention your daughter's age so it's a bit difficult to suggest something more specific for her.

Even though my only visit to St. Maarten was on a very BUSY day (seven ships in port that day) and because of traffic, our beach time and shopping was limited, I totally fell in love with the island. The beaches are crazy beautiful. And, I so want to go back to Orient beach. It is gorgeous. BUT, I don't think it's possible to avoid nudity. I was on Bernard's tour and he dropped us off right at the "dividing line" of the beach. I was with my sister and another couple from our ship (we were all late-40s, early 50s - no kids with us) and since the nude portion of the beach was less crowded, we spent most of our time in the water with the nudies. -- We kept our swim suits on but we were respectful of others and they, of course, were respectful of us.

And, although we were on the full nudity side, the other side had many gals that were topless. So, I just think you'd be better off if you avoided the beaches on the island if you want to avoid nudity.

Good luck to you and your daughter. It's a stunning island.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. your comment sounds as stupid as your first. Your on a roll!

It makes me wonder why people feel the need to throw their beliefs around on each other instead of just understanding that not everyone feels the same as the next person when it comes to how they want to live their life and how they want to raise their kids, and what they want to experience while on vacation. She asked a question and you all totally turn it around and start giving her grief because she's not "laid back" ready to enjoy nude beaches with her kid. I'm 36 and would choose not to go to a nude beach with my parents, and I can't imagine as a child them taking me to one knowing that people would be totally nude there. It's just awkward imo.

That's your opinion -- I happen not to agree with it. And as far as name calling goes, don't you feel just a little childish?

If she doesn't want to possibly expose her child or herself to toplessness of nudity, on an Island famous for it, then she should not get off of the sip that day -- period. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of "open minded" people on here who are ignorant, rude, etc. in response to a simple question. The original poster wasn't trying to start a morality war in here. If you can't answer the question without imposing your beliefs, how about not answering the question?

Here are a few non beach ideas.

The Butterfly Farm, St. Maarten Park and Zoo, Fort St. Louis, and Lotterie Farm for hiking, Zip-lining and lunch.

There is plenty in St. Maarten/St. Martin to do with out going to the beach.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on here about the term 'nudity'. There is clearly a huge difference between toplessness and complete nudity. For those of us who are used to European beaches, toplessness is not significant, whereas full nudity is. Am I correct in thinking that if you turn right on Orient beach, you encounter full nudity, but if you turn left, you will only find topless women? If so, then that will be fine with us, you see!

There seems to be a lot of confusion on here about the term 'nudity'. There is clearly a huge difference between toplessness and complete nudity. For those of us who are used to European beaches, toplessness is not significant, whereas full nudity is. Am I correct in thinking that if you turn right on Orient beach, you encounter full nudity, but if you turn left, you will only find topless women? If so, then that will be fine with us, you see!

Facing the ocean:

If you go to the far right you will eventually hit Club Orient where you will definitely find full nudity

If you go to the left, you will find topless women and possibly (but not definitely) see the OCCASIONAL fully nude person walking by on the beach.

DING! DING! DING! You are 100% right, and if you go left you will find FEW if any topless women.

Archived