which month?

mtebor

I have been reading a lot of May being a good month but my dd school ends late June. So given that what would be the best time for us (3) to go:

Late June

July

August

Thanks

The prices tell it all. May and September are bargain months -- because they have certain shortcomings. The salmon have not really begun to run in May, bear sightings may be difficult. There is still snow on the road in some places and tours may be slightly shorter. In September, some activities close down early, such as glacier dog sledding. Days are shorter and dark comes sooner in both months. Weather in Alaska is ALWAYS unpredictable, but there may be slightly more chance for rain in May and September. If you add a cruise tour there may be some limitations. This is why the demand is somewhat less and prices are very good. Frankly we have cruised in both May and September and enjoyed it.

The months you are looking at are the premium months, when everything in Alaska is at its best. Between them there is very little choice.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Cruise prices are also a good indicator of when most people prefer to cruise in Alaska. The longest days and the greatest likelihood of higher temperatures and less rainfall (that's likelihood, not guarantee:)) are in June and July and perhaps early to mid-August. When we were in Alaska in late May, 1999, the Visitors Center at Portage Glacier, just south of Anchorage, was still closed and the parking lot still filled with snow. We had light snow flurries while we were in Denali and cool temperatures while we were in Fairbanks. We still had a wonderful time but this year, a few weeks later in the season, the weather was considerably better. I have read that in the weeks following our trip, the weather was not as favorable so it really is a crapshoot. Your odds,however, seem better if you avoid the shoulder seasons and shoot for June or July.:)

As others said middle of June to Labor day is peak, but another thing to consider is excursions.

Fishing if it priority you need to plan ahead, it is fishing and not catching but catching Kings versus Pinks is hugely different.

The same for bear watching, and as Mike said if you have your heart set on Glacier Dog sledding being an option you need to go earlier in the season.

Happy planning

I have been reading a lot of May being a good month but my dd school ends late June. So given that what would be the best time for us (3) to go:

Late June

July

August

Thanks

It's my understanding that mid to late August is when you see salmon runs. When the salmon are running, you have a better chance of seeing bears. But as others have said, you have a higher chance of rain and fares are higher. Early in the season is cold, so you'll probably have warmer weather.

I think I am just repeating others, but the best time to go is when it fits your schedule ... We went in August when our kids went with us because that was the best date and in May when we traveled without them. We enjoyed both.

Late June/July will have the longest hours of daylight and they start to get noticeable shorter as you move into August. You can't predict if it will sunny or rainy but you'll have a good time regardless.

Archived