Luna Simone hotel

MRSBITS

Looks a very good choice to me. In terms of location the Luna & Simone is quite central, better than most, especially in the budget sector.

The B&B is about 10 minutes walk from Victoria Rail/Underground Station and Victoria Coach Station and about 5 minutes walk from Pimlico Underground Station. The number 24 bus passes the door and runs every 2 or 3 minutes, 24x7 and is a sightseeing tour in own right. It passes Westminster Abbey in about 5/10 minutes, you could walk to the London Eye, Buckingham Palace in about 15.

It will pay you to do a little research on the various travel passes Oyster & Travelcard as you'll be using public transport a lot.

The HoHo buses go from Victoria Station.

Victoria is one of the main transport hubs in Central London.

From Victoria Coach Station there are National Express coaches to Heathrow and Southampton, a Green Line bus to Windsor.

Most people go to Windsor by train from Waterloo or Paddington easly accessed by Underground.

The Underground will take you to Heathrow as well and is more convenient if you're using Terminals 4 or 5 than the bus.

If you are a family it will probably be as cheap to advance book a private car.

If you go on any day tours most of the major tour companies start their tours at Victoria Coach Station.

From Victoria Coach Station there are also buses every 10-15 minutes to Oxford on a 24x7 basis if you want a day out there.

With luggage you'll probably want to take a short taxi between the L&S and Victoria.

Most people take the train down to Southampton, though the bus is cheaper it takes longer. The most popular train route is from London's Waterloo station about an 8 GBP taxi ride.

The big plus is the Luna & Simone itself, perhaps the best B&B in London.

The two brothers who run it are usually only too pleased to personally go through all the logistics of getting to places you want to go.

The area around the B&B is surprisingly quiet, but there are a few good restauarants and pubs in the area and unusually for the very centre of London, a full size supermarket, Sainsburys about a 5 minute walk.

Hanfordr,

You are always so helpful! I am staying in London pre-cruise for three nights-not at the Luna Simone (we are at Park Place Victora) but close. Would you be able to give me the names of the restaraunts and pubs you refer to above and recommended?

Thank you!

Thank you, Handfordr for such wonderful information. With this and the trip advisor reviews, we went ahead and booked the Luna & Simone. Next research will be on the Oyster & Travelcard. I may be back to you further help i.e travel tips to Windsor for the day and getting from LHR to the Luna & Simone upon arrival. There are 2 of us, so a private car might be too expensive.

We stayed there 2 nites pre-cruise in June. It was fine, with a great breakfast (you can get a wonderful meusli & yogurt off the menu, just ask).

It was a greuling journey in on the tube from LHR with heavy rolling suitcases and a loaded backpack , so I would advise taking the National Coach instead of the underground. The walk from Victoria Coach station would not be as daunting as your bags are stored on the coach and there is not so much schlepping. If there are 4 of you traveling, a taxi or private transfer becomes more affordable.

Avoid the Constitution Pub around the corner from the L-S. My friend had her wallet taken by a patron there after she inadvertently left it at the bar.

Thank you, TMLAalum for sharing your experience and knowledge! With 4 nights pre-cruise and 14 nights cruising, we will have, at least, two big rolling bags and two smaller carry-ons! My husband is worried about the National Coach luggage limit. We are well aware of the theft problem, having recently traveled to Barcelona where pickpockets are the norm.

Our friends had 3 large suitcases between the 2 of them and a backpack for one and smaller case for her hubby and enjoyed theease of taking bus from Heathrow. I wouldn't worry too much about the luggage limit, but to ease your DH's mind and your backs, it might be worth it to pre-book a private transport.

If you do book the Luna-Simone, the Pimlico tube station is only about a 3 block walk away for your travels around London.

Re: the pickpockets. You can't let down your guard in any big city, but we Americans tend to target ourselves with our inattentiveness to our surroundings. The thief at the Constitution was more of an opportunist. Another patron who observed my friend return to the pub in great distress, found her wallet sans cash but with cc's & drivers license stashed behind the gent's toilet. He tracked her down by inquiring at all the nearby hotels. BTW, our friends stayed across from us at the Sidney (Less money, but a very small room w/o an inroom safe).

We hope to sail out of Barcelona on a Western Med cruise in a couple of years, so will keep your caveat in mind!

Check out a private hire service from LHR to your hotel. We have used this car service http://www.justairports.com. They meet you at the airport (outside the baggage area) so no carrying your luggage all over the place. To get a quote put in your hotel's postal code - 2 letters and a number (our hotel in the Victoria area was SW1). The cost is per car size and distance, we paid 34 + 4 GBP(for parking at LHR) cash, WELL worth the money.

We have stayed in the Victoria area 2x and think it is great, close to bus/underground, tour HO/HO bus, pubs, restaurants, grocery store, Royal Mews, Buckhingham Palace, stores.

Others on this board have used http://www.simplyairports.co.uk.

Handfordr,

As I suspected, the Oyster card vs.the Travelcard is very confusing. I know you'll be able to advise knowing our travel needs. Day #1 - We'll arrive at LHR in the a.m. and need transport to the Luna & Simone. We'll take a short rest, travel to Leicester Sq. 1/2price ticket booth, visit the London Eye, take in the show and travel back to the Luna. Day #2 - We'll travel to Windsor for the day and back to the Luna for the evening.

Day #3 - We'll travel to Southampton for two nights there prior to our cruise.

Look forward to your advice. Thank you

We did not stay at Luna Simone B&B but have read they do not have an elevator so if you have problems with stairs beware.

We took the National Express Coach (bus) http://www.nationalexpress.com to Southampton. We walked to the station from our hotel but you could take a taxi. The coach is like a big tour bus, with a bathroom and by law you have to wear seatbelts. The trip took 2- 2 1/2 hours. Driver puts luggage under the bus and you don't see it again until Southampton.

There are a few hotels Holiday Inn Herbert Walker, Etaphotel, Ibis, Novotel, De Vere, Premier Inn.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker and a taxi to the hotel would be about 5-10GBP. The day of the cruise we took a taxi to Princess dock about 5-10 GBP. Whereever you stay prebook a taxi with the hotel for cruise day.

Check out http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk for tours.

If in London until Oct 1/2010 or next year, see http://www.royalcollection.org.uk for tours of Buckingham Palace.

I've stayed at Luna Simone quite a few times over the years and have been very happy with them. No, there isn't an elevator. When I travel with my mother I ask them for a room that is no further than one flight of stairs due to her age and they've accomodated us on 2 different visits. (Even carried her suitcase but I guess that depends on who's working the desk.)

I normally take the tube from LHR but if mum comes along the tube has way too many stairs so she prefers the bus.

Handfordr,

As I suspected, the Oyster card vs.the Travelcard is very confusing. I know you'll be able to advise knowing our travel needs. Day #1 - We'll arrive at LHR in the a.m. and need transport to the Luna & Simone. We'll take a short rest, travel to Leicester Sq. 1/2price ticket booth, visit the London Eye, take in the show and travel back to the Luna. Day #2 - We'll travel to Windsor for the day and back to the Luna for the evening.

Day #3 - We'll travel to Southampton for two nights there prior to our cruise.

Look forward to your advice. Thank you

For the couple of days you are in London the Oyster card on a Pay As You Go basis is going to be a better buy than a Travelcard. The only hassle is reclaiming the deposit at the end unless you keep it for your next visit to London.

However if any of the attractions covered by the 2 for 1 promotion (http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ ) are worthwhile to you then a Travelcard will be best, BUT you have to purchase the Travelcard ONLY from a railway station like Victioria (not Underground). The promotions include 2 for 1 tickets to quite a few West End Theatres.

Its conceivable that if you don't use the Underground in from Heathrow then just using the red buses. The number 24 bus passes the door of the L&S all through the night connecting to the heart of the West End, so you can go clubbing after the theatre without worry over the last underground. If you do just stick to the buses there is a daily cap of 3.90 GBP for unlimited travel on the buses, (as opposed to 5.60 GBP if you use the Underground).

If you use the Underground in from Heathrow before 09:30 weekdays the cap goes up to 14.80 GBP (7.50 GBP at weekends or if you start after 09:30)

Neither Oyster or Travelcard or valid on the National Express buses or the Green Line Bus to Windsor.

Oyster and Travelcard do not go out as far as Windsor. Most people take the train but if you are making the day of it to Windsor you might want to consider using your Oyster out to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

From Terminal 5 there is a local bus at least twice an hour that stops outside Windsor Castle, taking about 45 minutes. By using this bus you can get off and walk to Runnymede (Magna Carta) in about 5 minutes or the Queen's Farm Shop along the way, two places most day visitors don't get to and worthwhile. Prince Philip is still pretty much hands on managing the Windsor Estate and the farm shop is one place he is often seen. They do a nice cream tea there too.

If you walk across the bridge over to Eton there is another less frequent local bus that connects Eton with Terminal 5.

Both buses are run by the same company and you can buy a day ticket allowing you to hop on. hop off.

Thank you, handfordr, for this very helpful information...esp. visiting Windsor. We do want to spend a day in Windsor, as we have previously toured London and Bath.

Below is the bus map for Windsor and Heathrow area.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/southeast/berkshirethames/map/7series_map.pdf

For the Magna Carta get of at the Bells of Ouzely pub and walk along the river. This is chain steak house which is very good value before 18:30.

You should get a buffet salad, chicken/steak etc plus drinks for under 20 GBP for 2 people.

On a nice day it would be a great idea to have dinner here and walk it off by walking over to Runnymede.

For the Queen's Farm Shop get off at Albert Road in Old Windsor, I think its open until about 17:00.

Timetables are at:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/southeast/berkshirethames/heathrow/times.php

• 11 months later...
Thank you, handfordr, for this very helpful information...esp. visiting Windsor. We do want to spend a day in Windsor, as we have previously toured London and Bath.

How was your stay at Luna & Simone? I am thinking on booking for next year.

Archived