watch out bed on the floor 08/16/2010

Carnival Fascination: when I arrived at my cabin I had a bed on the floor. We had 2 twin beds pushed together and a mattress on the floor. I complained but it did no good. They were suppose to bring me a roll-away bed but they were out of them due to the cruise being sold out and they said they had alot of handicap people on board. I am a past guest and have always been happy with Carnival. Carnival has went too far with their cut backs. Carnival is suppose to be a fun ship, it wasn't too much fun sleeping on the floor.

I don't think I would care about sleeping on the floor as long as I had a mattress. I really think I would prefer that to a rollaway cot. I can understand you being upset though.

I agree. What difference does it make? Unless you have mobility problems and have trouble getting up and down..

Sorry about the frustration, I would not have liked sleeping on the floor either without a frame on the bed.

If you complained to the room steward and got no where, then the next stop should have been the hotel director. His or her name used to be printed on the front page of the capers, not sure if it is on the fun times or not.

How many times did you complain and how far up the chain did you attempt to go?

there was no space to walk in the room. We had to step over the mattress and if someone was lying there, then you had to watch you did hit them.

If the mattress had been on a cot, then how would you have stepped over them? It sounds like the floor option was the best option...at least you can step over.

On all the cruises I have been on, they have pullman beds if you have more people in the room. I wonder why you didn't book a pullman room?

I would not want to sleep on the floor even if it was on a mattress on the floor. They would make it right for me before the ship set sail (I always check in early....'cause you never know). I would firmly, but politely, insist on that. I am not someone who has ever asked for OBC, but if I had to sleep on a mattress on the floor (and it could not be rectified), they'd give me OBC for that.....but, I'd ask nicely, yet they'd know I meant business. You get more (bees)with honey than you do with vinegar.

there was no space to walk in the room. We had to step over the mattress and if someone was lying there, then you had to watch you did hit them.

OK. Didn't think of that. With a foldaway, at least you can move it out of the way during the day. I would've had the steward take it out every morning then bring it back each night. I mean you hate to give them more work, but that is a PITA.. But whether it's on a frame or not, you still gotta walk around it if someone is sleeping on it..

Went to the service desk and complained. What is a pullman room? We always had beds for 3.

Well it sounds like you got a brush off. Did you just go with the brush off be or did you keep trying. If at first you get the brush off, ask to see someone else higher up the rank chain.

OK. Didn't think of that. With a foldaway, at least you can move it out of the way during the day. I would've had the steward take it out every morning then bring it back each night. I mean you hate to give them more work, but that is a PITA.. But whether it's on a frame or not, you still gotta walk around it if someone is sleeping on it..

We had that on on the Elation.

Our room was listed as a rollaway room

The first two pics below are from the Triumph, but it was the same setup.

The 3rd is it put together.

The put down the large frame, then the small one across the end.

It started out somewhat beside the other bed,

but we moved it to go across the end of our bed to give

us more floor space.

It didn't bother us at all.

The only "problem" if you could call it that, was getting out of bed from

the far side. I crawled over my wife once or twice.

My son said how much he liked the bed, so I tried it out and wished my

bed was as comfortable. I loved it and wished I could have slept there.

(btw, my son is not little, he is taller and bigger than me.)

STA71086.jpg

STA71087.jpg

18.jpg

When I cruise next April with two friends, one of us will have to sleep on a bunk. If it's me, I was actually thinking of pulling the mattress off and putting it on the floor. Everyone is different, I guess!

My son said if we ever had another cabin with a bunk, he was going to do just that.;)

He also said the mattress on the bunk was just as comfortable.

I think he was just trying to get me upset, when he found out how much I liked his bed.:(

Went to the service desk and complained. What is a pullman room? We always had beds for 3.

Pullman berths fold out of the wall (or ceiling) above the main bed(s). You fold them up to the wall when not in use....and pull them down when you want to use them. We've had 4 to a cabin, and never had to have a cot, or a mattress on the floor.

Carnival Fascination: when I arrived at my cabin I had a bed on the floor. We had 2 twin beds pushed together and a mattress on the floor. I complained but it did no good. They were suppose to bring me a roll-away bed but they were out of them due to the cruise being sold out and they said they had alot of handicap people on board. I am a past guest and have always been happy with Carnival. Carnival has went too far with their cut backs. Carnival is suppose to be a fun ship, it wasn't too much fun sleeping on the floor.

It had a frame, right? I slept on one of those once, but it was on a frame about 2 inches from the floor. I didn't mind because I'd paid a very tiny price for the ticket to be a 4th pax. It wasn't as comfy as the "Carnival Comfort Select" beds, but it was a small price to pay for a very cheap but fun time. Sorry to hear it affected your cruise. :o

I understand your pain! We had the same thing happened to us on the Fascination in May. When we booked the room and were told it would be a ROLL AWAY bed, I assumed it would be a fold away bed on a frame, not a pad on the floor. The bed was for my daughter's grandmother, who isn't ancient but she is over 60 years old. The other options would have been to sleep in the pull down bunk or sleep in the queen bed with either my DH or me. She did not want to do either and good naturedly insisted that her "dog bed" was fine.

Conchead, at least your son's rollaway bed had a mattress. The one in our room was a rolled up, foam pad about 3 inches thick.

Never again will I try to be cheap by getting a room with a "roll away"!

Wow! I think that is a horrible story. I would be seriously irritated if I had a mattress on the floor, or even worse a 3 inch pad! I think I would seriously consider taking up on Carnival's Cruise Guarantee (if they still have it) and get off at the first port.

I truly think a bed or a bunk is a prerequisite for any type of lodging accomodation. I don't think it is too much to ask of Carnival to provide each paying passenger with some type of bed, be it a roll-away, a bunk or a cot.

It surprises me how many posters think this is fine.

I understand your pain! We had the same thing happened to us on the Fascination in May. When we booked the room and were told it would be a ROLL AWAY bed, I assumed it would be a fold away bed on a frame, not a pad on the floor. The bed was for my daughter's grandmother, who isn't ancient but she is over 60 years old. The other options would have been to sleep in the pull down bunk or sleep in the queen bed with either my DH or me. She did not want to do either and good naturedly insisted that her "dog bed" was fine.

Conchead, at least your son's rollaway bed had a mattress. The one in our room was a rolled up, foam pad about 3 inches thick.

Never again will I try to be cheap by getting a room with a "roll away"!

Now a 3 inch think pad is a whole nother story...

Really, I think that would upset me.

A full thickness mattress is one thing, at least it is a comfy mattress, (Op couldn't you can stand up out of the way if the need be.) but a thin pad on the floor...that is just wrong.

That... I am sure was not what you had paid for!

I hope you got some kind of credit...or something

And I sure hope my 3 pax cabins have a third bed, bunk or sofa, that is for sure....

I certainly would not be happy! I don't think it's fine. It would be different if they showed you these pictures or a pictures of 3-inch pad on the floor and said, "will you pay this$ for that?" and you said yes.

Otherwise, not acceptable when you are expecting a bed on a frame.

:mad:

Archived