Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Travel Agent. Perhaps the fact that she was on her first day might be a factor.

Oh my, not a good way to start off. Sure hope she gets more education on cruising.......and very quickly. Tell her to join CC as she might learn a thing or two.;):)

You're usually assured of a correct answer on CC and if someone doesn't answer correctly, another will come along to set the record straight. Elsie pretty much summed everything up for you.

BTW, I never had a chance to sample all the free food that is available.

You can have desert served at Adagio's, just ask your waiter and they will take care of it.It really tops of the night.

So no cover charge to go there for dessert after your meal in traditional or anytime dining room? How neat! It can only be done by asking our server and hopefully our server will know that it is allowed?

This is only if you have had diner at Sabatini's.

Oh okay. So you just go next door to the lounge and the server brings your dessert to you. Got it now. Your prior post was confusing since it was hard to understand what post you were responding to.

Can you get free playing cards from the pursers desk like you can Carnival?

Any tips on "don't miss" things?

I played trivia on three ten day cruises on The Emerald Princess from 11/18 to 12/18 and all they gave us were those medals or the Princess bags. I was hoping to get a deck of cards but they did not have them. I have been told that they no longer give away the playing cards. I did win a set of cards on the Sapphire Princess on a cruise to Sydney Australia but cards are not available like they used to. On another note....was disappointed that the Emerald did not have any berries available for breakfast or lunch. love those raspberries, black berries and blue berries. Might just be the time of year.

I played trivia on three ten day cruises on The Emerald Princess from 11/18 to 12/18 and all they gave us were those medals or the Princess bags. I was hoping to get a deck of cards but they did not have them. I have been told that they no longer give away the playing cards. I did win a set of cards on the Sapphire Princess on a cruise to Sydney Australia but cards are not available like they used to. On another note....was disappointed that the Emerald did not have any berries available for breakfast or lunch. love those raspberries, black berries and blue berries. Might just be the time of year.

I believe my mother to be personally responsible for the discontinuance of giveaway decks of cards. At last count she had 37 decks of freebie Princess cards. Sorry folks. :o

I played trivia on three ten day cruises on The Emerald Princess from 11/18 to 12/18 and all they gave us were those medals or the Princess bags. I was hoping to get a deck of cards but they did not have them. I have been told that they no longer give away the playing cards.

They had decks of cards as prizes on the Diamond last month.

We cruised on the Ruby Princess, our first Princess experience, in November 2010. We tried to get the escargot and french onion soup at other times then when on the menu - but were told it was not available. period. We tried several times, but no luck. We were frankly quite disappointed about it, since we REALLY love escargot.

There was a tip on some board about getting magnetized clips and using them on the walls to organize stuff - BEST TIP EVER!!! We found some plastic clothespins that were magnetized at an office store and they were wonderful! Used them to keep shore excursion tickets and other things. I will take a second package on the next trip!

We had some magnetic dry erase boards that were on the outside of everyone's door and they were great for letting folks know where we were and such.

We took a copule boxes of wine and a case of beer in our luggage without problem. Asked the room steward for wine glasses and they were refreshed every day. Had pre-dinner drinks on the balcony with our various travel companions each evening and it was wonderful!

Wish we had taken one of the pop up laundry bags. It would have been very helpful.

The International Cafe was amazing! But watch out - the food changes daily and if you see something you want, it may not be there tomorrow. BTW - the Pistachio cream was amazing!!

The pub fare lunch was only a couple days during the cruise but was worth the wait.

We enjoyed it so much that we're going to Alaska on Princess in July 2011.

Hope these tips help!

We cruised on the Ruby Princess, our first Princess experience, in November 2010. We tried to get the escargot and french onion soup at other times then when on the menu - but were told it was not available. period. We tried several times, but no luck. We were frankly quite disappointed about it, since we REALLY love escargot.

!

What a shame you couldn't get the escargot. Did you speak with the head waiter. They are the ones that have to approve it?

We are going on the Grand in July, first time with Princess and this thread is so helpful thankyou! Answered so many of my questions and I've printed off the helpful compilations! Will remember to take some cards along (as well as my wine!). Keep up the good work folks :)

This is not a "Secret" and is very obvious to most of us, but when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're online using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line. Compose ALL your outgoing messages in Word, WordPad, etc before you go back online, and then cut and paste them into an email. Also, make sure all your email buddies know NOT to send you emails with elaborate attachments (i.e. all those "forwards") while you're on the ship as downloading them really scarfs up the minutes.

This doesn't work if you're in the Internet Cafe using their computers of course, as once you log off, you're off.

You are not taking avantage of the Send function available with your laptop's email browser.

Why write your email message in Word and then copy/paste into or compose your email while online when you can completely do this (including attaching pictures and documents) while working off line in your laptop’s email browser (Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.) and select send later (File>Send Later) which will save the message in your Outbox. The Outbox emails can then be sent when you are next online. This is more efficient as the only time needed online is to actually upload and download your emails. Once the uploads and downloads are done you can go off line to read the just received emails and if needed type your response to any which also can be saved in the Outbox.

In fact if you are composing emails off line using the laptop's email browser while not in the WiFi log in area and click on Send, it will default to the Send Later and place the email in your Outbox because of the lack of an internet connection since your computer can't logged on to the ship's WiFi.

What I do is set my laptop's email browser not to send and receive messages at start up (Tools>Options>General Tab, uncheck the send and receive messages at start up box and Check for New Messages every so many minutes box) so I am offline when I start the email browser up.

When I am ready to send and receive emails I log on and select Tools>Send and Receive>Send and Receive All or Receive All or Send All. You can even set your email browser to send and receive from several email accounts by setting up all of the email addresses by selecting Tools>Accounts>Add.

Even though the outlet in the bathroom is marked for shavers only you can plug in a nightlight and it will work without any problems. Sure beats being blinded by the bright bathroom light in the middle of the night.

Some ships I've been on have a shaver outlet that has power to it only when the bathroom light is on so the nightlight isn't really usable.

Another trick I learned from a previous roll call is if at night you turn the fluorescent light on for about 10 seconds with the door closed and you outside of the bathroom and then shut it off before entering, there will be enough light from the afterglow of the fluorescent coating of the light to see well enough for a minute or so since your eyes will be accustomed or adjusted to seeing in the dark. This is only good for a quick visit to the loo.

This has been our answer to the night light need. It is magnetic so we attach it to the inside of the bathroom door at a location/angle where it is as dim as possible in the direction of the bedroom. http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-72178-Activated-Battery-Powered/dp/B001LJNS8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295101508&sr=8-1

What a shame you couldn't get the escargot. Did you speak with the head waiter. They are the ones that have to approve it?

I haven't asked for escargot in advance of them serving it but when it comes up I ask if I can have it tomorrow as well.

That's when the waiter goes for the head waiter and we "negotiate" how many days I'd like escargot for a starter (had them for 7 days running on one cruise and I was the one that said enough I want something else).

Only once was I told no, can't be done - this is the only night we are serving escargot. It didn't put me off trying again on the next cruise.

Archived