What's a Panama Bun?

giltedge

Sounds like it might be a take on a "Hot Cross Bun". And speaking of specialty baked goods on special occasion cruises, we thought the Oosterdam German style fruit bread "stollen" on Christmas Day was almost worth the whole trip. Rich, frosted, sweet, soft and chewy. Delicious. Hope they use the same recipe for the Panama "hot cross buns". If this is what these Panama Buns are - probably something special too since the first lock sightings are so early in the morning. You have be curious and we will be on the lookout ourselves in November on the Statendam.

In my experience it is the same as a "Sydney Bun" and a couple of other places where they serve a morning snack upon entering a special area. Fun with juice and coffee early morning outside.

I wonder if this is a HAL invention. I tried an internet search and I didn't find it. If it's some kind of "national food," something should turn up in the first few google pages. (I'm allowed to mention google, yes?)

This is the recipe I got from one of our cruises which can also be found on Joanie's "Food" link:

Panama Bun dough:

1 pound all purpose flour

10 grams salt (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams sugar (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

10 grams instant yeast (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams butter (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

1 egg

1/4 liter milk (1/2 cup)

Mix all ingredients together.

Filling:

Custard Cream:

3/4 liters of milk (make sure you boil the milk) (1 & 1/2 cups)

1 Mandarin orange -- cut into 1/2 inch bits

1/4 kilo sugar (1 & 1/3 cups)

125 grams cornstarch (8 & 2/3 tablespoons)

3 egg yolks

Mix sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks first before mixing with the boiled milk. Add the mandarin orange bits.

Topping: Streusel (The Zuiderdam is the only ship where the buns had a topping) - Optional

1/2 pound flour

1/4 pound butter

1/4 pound sugar

Mix all the ingredients together.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Flatten the dough using a rolling pin then cut into 4 inch squares and put the filling into the center of each square (about 1 heaping teaspoon). Fold the dough over the filling 4 times. Cover the outside with egg wash. Place on cooky sheets. If you are using the streusel, now is the time to top the buns with it.

Let rest for 25 minutes at room temperature.

Bake for 10 minutes -- serve warm.

Makes about 2 dozen.

On my, Hal's Panama Buns are to die for! We missed them the first time, but ate that share and more the second time. That creme and orange filling is amazing!

I feel the same way but I've heard others say they are nothing special. I then wonder what they think is good. On one of my cruises someone said to me "these are doughy". Welll yeah....they are made of dough:D:rolleyes:.

This is the recipe I got from one of our cruises which can also be found on Joanie's "Food" link:

I didn't think it was possible to gain 5 lbs just reading a recipe.... but apparently I was wrong.... :p:eek::D

I would be very careful with this recipe. This is way too much salt compared with other ingredients. Also, says 1/4 liter milk. That would be about 1 cup not 1/2 cup.

Buns are good though. Worth experiementing with recipe.

It really doesn't matter. When it is 5 am, they are great! enjoy the panama - we did - and the Panama rolls.:):)

Exactly if you dare get up at 4am and are standing with a hundred other nuts on the bow and crave something to eat and or drink they are GOOD. :D

Thanks for all the input regarding Panama Buns. I am sure we will enjoy our cruise and it sounds as if most of the problems with the Statendam have been worked out. We make the most of any trip and try not to let anything get in the way of us having a wonderful time. :)

Thanks for all the input regarding Panama Buns. I am sure we will enjoy our cruise and it sounds as if most of the problems with the Statendam have been worked out. We make the most of any trip and try not to let anything get in the way of us having a wonderful time. :)

We did the Statendam last Christmas 18 day through the Panama Canal and it was wonderful. The Buns and the cruise! :D

Could this be the answer?

Buns are made from sweetened, yeast dough enriched with butter, whereas rolls are less sweet, or unsweetened, and are not enriched. Buns often have raisins or spices added, and are glazed or decorated before baking. Chelsea and hot cross buns are popular examples.

Archived