ID Dilemma and we sail on Saturday!

3redheads

First of all, I know my daughter *should* have a passport, but she doesn't.

She is 17 and has had what's called a Walker ID from the Virginia DMV. We used it last year on our cruise.

Today, she went in to the DMV to take her Learner's Permit test. She passed and we thought she would get her Learner's Permit right away. Unfortunately, they have to mark her Virginia Walker's ID VOID and they will mail her her learner's permit. 7-10 days.

So, the only ID I have is a Va. Walker's ID, which is marked VOID, her birth certificate and a high school student ID from 2007-2008.

She also has a piece of paper which is her temporary driver's license, but it doesn't have a picture.

I called Carnival and they said she can only use the school ID and birth certificate. I don't have a recent student ID.

Any suggestions? We leave on Saturday.

Thanks so much! I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

First of all, I know my daughter *should* have a passport, but she doesn't.

She is 17 and has had what's called a Walker ID from the Virginia DMV. We used it last year on our cruise.

Today, she went in to the DMV to take her Learner's Permit test. She passed and we thought she would get her Learner's Permit right away. Unfortunately, they have to mark her Virginia Walker's ID VOID and they will mail her her learner's permit. 7-10 days.

So, the only ID I have is a Va. Walker's ID, which is marked VOID, her birth certificate and a high school student ID from 2007-2008.

She also has a piece of paper which is her temporary driver's license, but it doesn't have a picture.

I called Carnival and they said she can only use the school ID and birth certificate. I don't have a recent student ID.

Any suggestions? We leave on Saturday.

Thanks so much! I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Not confusing at all - but if I can ask, why does she not have school ID from this year if she is only 17. I would ask them if you can use the VOID Walker's ID with the temporary DL (this is kind of self explanitory as to why it is voided) and take an ORIGINAL of her Birth Cert (apparently yours have a raised seal). In a way I am glad I am from Canada and FORCED to get a passport if we want to travel outside of Canada. Good luck - let us know what happens

Ask the BMV if you can just get a state photo id for your cruise. Tell them you need it because you are leaving the country and MUST have a government issued photo id.

Yes, get a non-drivers state ID from the DMV. I know an adult who does not drive, but has a state ID with picture that looks just like a drivers license, but is for identification purposes only.

Yes, get a non-drivers state ID from the DMV. I know an adult who does not drive, but has a state ID with picture that looks just like a drivers license, but is for identification purposes only.

I was under the understanding that even these have to be mailed and are not issued immediately. I hope I am wrong.

I would say if the Walker ID has her picture on it....use it and her birth certificate. If they question it explain that she is in the process of obtaining her driver's license and that's why it is marked "void". It is still HER picture.

Void...means...void

You can get an emergency passport....

http://www.rushmypassport.com/emergency-passport.html?gclid=CPvC6uSA06MCFeQD5Qod-HYMsw

She cannot find her student id from last year. Sigh. Teenagers!

Unfortunately, DMV will not issue any type of ID if they are mailing her a learner's permit. Something about having two ids. Years back, they used to print your ID right there, but I imagine that changed for increased security.

Thank you all!

Can she go to school and get a new student ID? They are only $3 at my kids' schools and they issue them right there.

I would venture to say that the school is not open or fully operational right now - being summer and all. At our schools we have companies come in and do the pictures enmasse they are not done daily on an individual basis - too expensive to keep the processing equipment in every school.

I was under the understanding that even these have to be mailed and are not issued immediately. I hope I am wrong.

Can't remember what state the OP is in, but in Florida (as well as when I lived in New Jersey), if you go in person to the DMV and have the photo taken right then, they will give you your new ID on the spot. I did this when I moved to Florida and, as I had to surrender my NJ driver's license, they could not have me drive away without a license. The place was crowded and I had to wait in more than one line, but I left there with a new ID in my possession that very day.

I would say if the Walker ID has her picture on it....use it and her birth certificate. If they question it explain that she is in the process of obtaining her driver's license and that's why it is marked "void". It is still HER picture.

Seems like this should work. The void shouldn't dismiss the fact that the picture is STILL her.

Seems like this should work. The void shouldn't dismiss the fact that the picture is STILL her.

Suppose the clerk disagrees with you and thinks "void means void"....and the daughter can't get on the ship?

The best thing is get an emergency passport and not worry about "what the clerk accepts."

OP...unless someone can give you a definitive answer....it's better to spend the extra money and not take chances.

Your post reminds me of a situation that happened to my sister about 15 years ago. Our mom used to baby-sit our little cousin, and his mom used to pay my mom by check. The check was drawn on a credit union that had very few branches that were inconveniently located. One day, my sister was going to a mall where this credit union had a branch. So, my mom gave my sister the check (she'd already signed it) along with her drivers license. When my sister got to the credit union, she handed the teller my mom's driver's license and the check which was made out to my mom. The teller was going to cash it (no questions asked) until she noticed that my mom's license was expired. The teller then began to think that my sister was trying to scam the credit union. My sister then asked the teller to call our mom and verify the situation. The teller called, spoke to my mom and voiced her concern that the license was expired. My my proclaimed, "so what, the picture is still me". The teller cashed the check. Fast-forward to 2010: Imagine going into a bank with someone else's expired ID to try and cash a check made out to that other person. We still laugh at the absurdity of this story. I hope the OP finds a solution to her dilemma.

She cannot find her student id from last year. Sigh. Teenagers!

Unfortunately, DMV will not issue any type of ID if they are mailing her a learner's permit. Something about having two ids. Years back, they used to print your ID right there, but I imagine that changed for increased security.

Thank you all!

Go to the DMV in person with your daughter and explain your needs. Surely they can give her a non-driver photo ID (for identification purposes only) on the spot. Perhaps you can ask that they stop the processing of her driver's permit/license. She can then straighten out the driver's permit thing when you return from your trip. I don't know if it's possible, but you won't know unless you ask in person.

at the dmv in my state, they give you a temporary paper non-photo id. Then a couple of days later after that you get in the mail your offical real photo id. If she has some kind of new temporary id and the the license (or id) number match is it possbile she can use that as proof as to why the real photo id is void?

The two Carnival agents I spoke with told me to bring everything to the port and that all of the DMV documents and the school ID should be sufficient.

One girl told me to check out travel.state.gov and call them and get a badge number. I cannot even figure out which area to call!

Virginia is becoming a PIA!!! They mail ALL picture ids!

Here in Hawaii, it is not the DMV that issues ID's for non-drivers. Maybe you have a similar department that issues picture-ID's for non-drivers? I know many people here who have both a State ID and a Driver's License. I hope it all works out for you.

definitely call the school tomorrow. Even though our kids didn't start until August 12, as teachers, we were at the school a week before that. And our office and administration, as well as counselors were in house 2 weeks before that! Someone is probably there, doing the scheduling, cataloging books, fixing up rooms, etc.

Good luck!

Does anyone know who makes the decision whether or not a type of id is valid? Is it the cruise line employees, employees of the port, Homeland security or some other entity?

Thanks so much!

You called Carnival...and they gave you the answer

"I called Carnival and they said she can only use the school ID and birth certificate. I don't have a recent student ID."

I don't meant to be obnoxious or anything...but since you still have time for an emergency passport...why are you wasting your time wondering about school IDs...if the school is open....void DMV identification....getting things on the spot...etc?

And even if you take the reps word for it...who says she's right. The clerk at the port might have other instructions....

It's just my opinion.......

Does anyone know who makes the decision whether or not a type of id is valid? Is it the cruise line employees, employees of the port, Homeland security or some other entity?

Thanks so much!

When you check in at the pier, it is a Carnival employee who looks at your documents. Hopefully, you can get a new ID before you leave for the cruise. If you can't, I'd take every piece of ID with you that your daughter has (including the thing stamped void), her 2007-2008 school ID, and anything else pertaining to her soon-to-arrive driver's permit. As another poster stated, it should have her Driver's permit number on it. If you have any problems checking in, ask for a supervisor, and remain clam. It will do you no good to be frantic. Best of luck.

Archived