How can this ghost get some color?

kanitter

I really need some help here. You guys have been fantastic whenever I've had a question in the past, so here goes again. I have a cruise coming up in a little over a month. Even tho it's on ncl my dd and I have bought a couple of long gowns for dress up or not nights. That's not the problem. The problem is that I don't go sunbathing or tanning, between being very fair skinned and certain medications that I take, all I do is burn and peel, and then burn and peel. There is no tanning involved at all.:( So I really would like to be able to wear these dresses that show some shoulder and back, without blinding everyone with my white skin. I've thought about going with a spray on tan but that would be difficult for a few reasons. So is there a cream or lotion that anyone could recommend that really does work that would just give me a little bit of color, (not orange, please;)), I don't mean a really dark tan. That wouldn't look right on me. I would really appreciate any help given. Everyone have a good one, Sue

I happen to think pale white skin can be beautiful and am not impressed with tanned skin at all.

Embrace your own special beauty and select a color to wear that enhances your skin tone. Your skin will be healthier for it and you won't go through that awful stage of fading, splotchy fake tan.

I know that there are several moisturizers that give the "hint of color", but really, I think untanned skin is classic & beautiful; rent some Merchant & Ivory films & empower yourself!:D seriously, if you must, try one of the daily lotions, but I'll bet many over tanners would love your skin.

I really like the Jergen's FOAM...it's easy to apply and doesn't have that strong, lingering smell that the lotion has. Whatever you use, you will need help to apply it to your back, so it's even and so you don't have a big space in the middle that you couldn't reach!

And yes--if you have pale, alabaster skin, it's gorgeous! Few folks have flawless skin. If you do, show it off!

Jergens lotion as others have mentioned is a good one. Also, Clarins makes a wonderful one but it is a lot more expensive and I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend. You might want to try the Jergens now, well before your cruise to make sure that you like the color on yourself. Make sure that you exfoliate before, and that you don't apply a lot to your knees, elbows etc.

Since the OP specifically asked about wanting a hint of color, I too recommend the Jergens. Try it now to see how it looks. If she doesn't like it and finds she prefers her white skin then she doesn't have to use it....... she will be able to make the choice for herself.

I've tried the Jergens and while it doesn't overtan your skin, it can still appear splotchy if not perfectly applied. Then, as it wears off in a couple days, you can add to the splotchy spots. Even toweling off after a shower will take off bits of the color.

I will only use it on my legs since I like to wear shorter dresses to work with no pantyhose. I exfoliate very well first, moisturize dry areas like ankles, heels, bottom of feet, knees. Then I apply and spend about 2 - 3 minutes on each leg to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Sure enough, there are some places that just take darker than others.

So...if you do try it, don't wait until you get on the cruise ship to find out if you like it or not.

I like the jergens foam as well. So far it's worked the best for me out of any drugstore option in terms of smell and quickly drying. By the time I'm done with the second leg, the first is dry- lotions never dry that fast on me.

I exfoliate like crazy before I put it on, then shower and exfoliate the next day (almost all will come off) and then put it on again. That seems to work well for me in terms of preventing splotches. I usually have to re-apply to my legs more often than the rest of me also, because shaving takes more off than comes off on the rest of my body.

*edit* Forgot to add- make sure if you're using the foam you also use a regular moisturizer. It's not a replacement for your daily one, and the more moisturized your skin is, the better it will look. Just make sure not to tan and moisturize within a few hours of each other.

Be sure to use plastic gloves when applying any self-tanning lotions. I love my jergans (I use the firming formula) but it stains my cuticles and fingernails even if I wash my hands after applying it.

Use enough that you can apply it evenly without "stretching" it. Go easy on the dry places like ankles, feet, knees or elbows. (dry skin absorbs more and will get darker faster) and get help with your back unless you are a very confident yoga practitioner:p

The results are great but but you get out of it what you put into it.

I have very fair skin as well and have tried tons of self tanners. all orange or at the least make my skin look dirty. My best friend got me hooked on Bare Minerals body shimmer. I bought the platinum one from QVC a little goes a long way and I have a soft rosy glow with some sparkle for formal nights and times I just want to feel pretty. I have gotten more complements then i have with any tanning product. I feel it wakes up my pale skin and best of all. No chemical odor from the tanning products. It just might be the perfect thing to set off those gowns.

Well, first of all I want to thank everyone for the answers. I guess I never thought of my skin as alabaster, I always thought of it more as fish belly white.:rolleyes: But it sounds like the creams are more trouble than what I really want to deal with. And I'm not double jointed or into yogo so I would have to get help putting it on. I could just see my dh thinking it was funny to write something on my back with it.:eek: And I would probably end up with streaks somewhere. I didn't know you had to be that exact with it. :(

To cje19, is the body shimmer you mentioned a powder or what? I use the bare minerals makeup and love it. I've never heard of the body shimmer tho. Guess I just didn't pay attention. That sounds like something that at least if I goof it up then at least I could shower it off. Also is it very expensive, and do you use it on your shoulders and back?

Again, thanks everyone for their answers, it really helps to have a place to go to when the old dog needs to learn new tricks.;) Everyone have a good one,

Sue

Well, first of all I want to thank everyone for the answers. I guess I never thought of my skin as alabaster, I always thought of it more as fish belly white.:rolleyes: But it sounds like the creams are more trouble than what I really want to deal with. And I'm not double jointed or into yogo so I would have to get help putting it on. I could just see my dh thinking it was funny to write something on my back with it.:eek: And I would probably end up with streaks somewhere. I didn't know you had to be that exact with it. :(

Sue

I never had any problems with Jergens streaking and it was never a major deal. I don't know what anyone was doing to get streaks. It is NOT like the old self tanners and your DH would not be able to write anything.

Don't give up on it so fast. I just don't understand people making it sound like it's so much trouble. I don't even exfolliate and I've never had streaking, don't wear gloves either, just wash the palms of my hands. You have enough time to try it out, maybe just on your arms to see what it's like.

Kanitter, I use it over my shoulders and back and on my collarbones. I'll even dust a little in my hair sometimes. It's not too expensive. Maybe 35$ and it lasts a long time plus comes with the brush, (worth the price alone there) I Love Bare Minerals too. I found mine on the qvc website and it's the face and body powder. in precious platinum. They have other colors available as well. If you dust a line of it down the front of your shins and it makes your legs look longer and more toned.

I wish I could use the self tanners, but i'm just not like others who can, but then again, I feel better knowing that my red hair (which my stylist tells me everyone wants but my natural color can't be copied) looks better against my "milky white skin" as my guy lovingly calls me. Just makes me realize that yes I will be pale on the ship in 45 days but as I am envious of the tans of others, maybe some of them are envious of parts of me.

Enjoy your cruise and play-up your best assets.

C.

i use the Jergens too and havent had any 'streaking' the prob sometimes is you might get to dark around the knees ankles or elbows so just use sparingly on there...

i like a little color...specially when i cruise....even with the sunscreen on i still get a little tan and 'glow' and i like the way my bare arms and shoulders look!

try it before you cruise--trial basis and see if it doesnt "work" for you!

I also prefer the Jergens Mousse formula over their lotion. I apply some regular lotion to the palms of my hands first and that prevents staining and makes hands easier to clean off afterwards.

I participated in a product test a few months back for a self-tanner. Holy wow, I love the stuff! It smells fruity and my skin loves it. The color was realistic and built up over a few days. The catch is - I have no idea who the manufacturer is, let alone the name of the product. I'm hoarding the last little bit of the lotion I have to take with me on the cruise. SO a big heads up - there are some terrific new products in the making!

I love Neutrogena spray on tan. You can get it in light or dark - I use the light.

I do agree with others that say white skin does look really pretty with the right color gown. But as someone how burns, peels, goes back to white, burns, peels, goes back to white... I understand the desire to have a little color. :)

I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting, but you guys have at least given me a starting point. I had to laugh when reading the different posts about how we can be envious about how someone else's skin looks. I remember the first time I went to the new nail place that opened by us. I had gone in for a pedicure and while the young girl was working on my legs she said something that I didn't understand. One of the other girls told me that she wanted to know how did I get my legs so white. Apparently in the village she was from the young girls would actually bleach their skin to try and make their skin real light as their men found it more attractive. And here I am trying to not have super white skin. lol. It wouldn't be so bad but I actually do have slight color on my arms, face and upper chest. After all, I've lived through 53 summers, So then the whiteness on my back, shoulders, legs and the rest of me really stand out. So like I said, I guess it's time to experiment. Thanks for all the help, Sue

I'm like you, some color on my arms, face and a lovely permanently red triangle on my chest (sigh). I forgot to mention, I use the spray tan AND the jergens lotion. I usually use the spray in evening and then in the mornings I supplement with the lotion to help even things out and give a nice glow.

Good luck!

I'm like you, some color on my arms, face and a lovely permanently red triangle on my chest (sigh). I forgot to mention, I use the spray tan AND the jergens lotion. I usually use the spray in evening and then in the mornings I supplement with the lotion to help even things out and give a nice glow.

Good luck!

Yes, that beautiful triangle. ;) That's another reason I need to do something. One of the dresses I want to wear is just has spaghetti straps so that triangle really shows. And that is just plain ugly. What kind of spray do you use? And something I forgot to ask everyone is how long does the jergens lotion last if I decided to use it. And how often should I reapply it?

Neutrogena sunless tan spray, you can get it at any drug/grocery store. I spray everyday until I'm happy with the color and I use the lotion everyday even after I stop spraying. Both seem to wash off rather quickly on me but that might be because I'm opaque.

My shins,calves and the back of my neck won't tan. Don't ask me why - it drives me crazy though. I use Loreal Sublime Bronze Self Tanning Mist. It doesn't even touch your hands, leaves no streaks and is very subtle. I start using it a week or so before cruising. It has the 360 degree applicator so you don't miss any spots. Also its pretty cheap at under $10/ bottle here. Use it way before you go so you know if you like it before you cruise.

:) Kerry

Archived