Just bought my CCL stocks!!

catergirl

Wow!! the price came down on the carnival stocks and i had been wanting to buy some for the OBC perk, so i did it yesterday!! now i get $100. OBC for my HAL cruise coming up in sept and $250. for my princess cruise this april:D and i used it fro my RSP(canadian retirement plan), so another bonus!!

OBC for my HAL cruise coming up in sept and $250. for my princess cruise this april:D

Was considering purchasing some myself as I have a ten day HAL cruise scheduled for 2011 and planning

a Canada/New England and Alaska too. Can you tell me why you are receiving $250 for your Princess cruise?

Is it based on the length of the cruise?

Was considering purchasing some myself as I have a ten day HAL cruise scheduled for 2011 and planning

a Canada/New England and Alaska too. Can you tell me why you are receiving $250 for your Princess cruise?

Is it based on the length of the cruise?

It's DEFINITELY worth it! You get $250 for a cruise 14 days or longer. This year alone, I've received $250 for my January cruise, $100 for my April HAL cruise, and another $250 for my upcoming cruise. For me, that's a 26% return on my investment for just this year (because I bought it a couple of years ago.) Pretty much the same thing last year. Plus, the stock has gone up.

Here's a link to the stockholders benefits page: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/shareben.pdf

The CCL stock is a real bonus.

We get to triple dip for our next cruise :D :

$200 for using a FCC

$50 as a Commodore

100 for owning CCL stock

Gotta love it. Anyone who cruises inside the Carnival family should own stock.

The CCL stock is a real bonus.

We get to triple dip for our next cruise :D :

$200 for using a FCC

$50 as a Commodore

100 for owning CCL stock

We made commodore under the old CC system. What is a Commodore on Princess now? Is this some new reward category?

T

Well, yeah...if...you have $3000 to invest in a stock that's down a full 50% from its 52-week high, don't mind tying that up in a stock that's underperformed the S&P by something like 6% over the past year, and should - if we're indeed going into the double dip of a big recession - probably suffer from a lack of disposable income. As part of a large, diversified portfolio with a long horizon, no problem. If you plan on - and will have the resources to take - two or three long cruises per year and usually charge 250 or more in non-gratuities to your onboard account, sure; it provides a cushion against stock decline. But if I'd bought 100 shares (the bonus minimum) on 1/1/10, I'd now be about $150 poorer on paper. The same amount in my low-risk GNMA fund has apppreciated by a bit over $200 by then. The difference is more than the OBCs for three 7-day cruises, $100 more than the OBC on a two-weeker.

Blanket stock market advice? Let the buyer beware.

Well, yeah...if...you have $3000 to invest in a stock that's down a full 50% from its 52-week high, don't mind tying that up in a stock that's underperformed the S&P by something like 6% over the past year, and should - if we're indeed going into the double dip of a big recession - probably suffer from a lack of disposable income. As part of a large, diversified portfolio with a long horizon, no problem. If you plan on - and will have the resources to take - two or three long cruises per year and usually charge 250 or more in non-gratuities to your onboard account, sure; it provides a cushion against stock decline. But if I'd bought 100 shares (the bonus minimum) on 1/1/10, I'd now be about $150 poorer on paper. The same amount in my low-risk GNMA fund has apppreciated by a bit over $200 by then. The difference is more than the OBCs for three 7-day cruises, $100 more than the OBC on a two-weeker.

It is one's own personal decision. Mine is up over 50% from when I purchased in February of 2009 ($19.56) and I have received $400 of onboard credit during that time.

Mike:)

It is one's own personal decision. Mine is up over 50% from when I purchased in February of 2009 ($19.56) and I have received $400 of onboard credit during that time.

Oh, absolutely. You were lucky enough to hit the absolute bottom for the market back in early '09, and pretty much any reasonable stock investment, including diversified index funds, would have prospered from then to now. On the other hand, if you'd bought the fund 14 months later, your investment would be down by a third.

My point is that its kind of silly just to proclaim "Everyone should go out and buy CCL" on the basis of OBCs, not without considering the risks (if you'd bought CCL six years ago, you would have lost 40% since) and alternate investments. I mean, I bought FFCs nine months ago and - based on my OBCs for next week's cruise - have seen a 75% return on investment (100% annualized!) on something that (except for a paltry loss of interest) is totally risk free. Therefore, I'd feel good about saying "Any family who sails Princess should buy FCCs." CCL at this fragile economic moment? Not so much.

I have never proclaimed everyone should go out and buy the stock first and secondly I didn't buy it for an investment.

I purchased it for the OBC and will recoup my investment fully in 20 cruises no matter what happens to the stock price.

If I had bought 100 shares 6 years ago I would have received $1200 in benefits during that which would have more than offset the 40% reduction in stock price IF I had wanted to sell.

Buy it if you want and skip it if you are not inclined.

I have held the stock about 14 months and made about $4 per share. In addition, I have gotten $1,000 in OBC. Next year, I will get another $1,100. I am quite happy with the return I have made

Archived