If you get UG and decline.....

kymbakitty

I did a search on this topic but I couldn't locate the specifics I am looking for (I'm sure there are plenty of them, I just couldn't find them--most threads are on guarantee).

Anyway, if you select the option to upgrade if possible, I know you have the option to decline the upgrade. What I don't know, and I have heard differing opinions on the answer, is whether you lose the ability to hold on to your original cabin.

My TA called Princess and they said you lose your cabin if you decide to decline on an upgrade. I find this hard to believe and told him to wait until I posted the question on cruisecritic because more often than not, the info from the Princess reps is incorrect (sad, but true).

I find it hard to believe because if they give you the option of declining, then they'd just have to go to the trouble of finding you ANOTHER cabin of the same or better. But I could be looking at this all wrong.

We have a mini....and it is on the Emerald Deck...which is great. But who knows....someday we may just get really lucky and get a suite (it could happen....not likely, but it could and we'll NEVER know if we have the no upgrade box checked). But we don't want to take a chance and forfeit our mini on the Emerald for an "upgrade" on the Dolphin deck--no way!

Thank you.

Dawn

From my understanding, IF you book an assigned stateroom and mark your booking will accept an upgrade, then you aren't actually guaranteed that you will be able to get your original cabin back if you don't like the upgrade, as you are giving the cruise line free rain to assign you any stateroom above what you booked.

IF you book an assigned stateroom and mark your booking will NOT accept, then you have the chance to decline the upgrade offer completely if you wish and retain your original stateroom.

As long as you leave your booking open to upgrade, you will sometimes not have a choice of declining the upgrade and staying in your original stateroom.

I used to have a link to a site that explained it, let me see if I can find it.

Edited, Here you go: https://book.princess.com/html/tapres/auto_upgrade_content.html

But notice this highlighted part of the 'declining an upgrade paragraph'

Declining an Upgrade That Has Been Assigned

When the complimentary upgrade is given, a confirmation is automatically sent. If your clients are not happy with the new cabin and category, you may call Princess to have the booking changed. The Reservations Agent will advise the correct department, who will address the issue. In most cases, the booking will be moved back to the original cabin if we are notified promptly. However, if the booking was originally a guarantee, the passengers must accept the upgrade, since there is no cabin to which the booking can be returned.

From my understanding, IF you book an assigned stateroom and mark your booking will accept an upgrade, then you aren't actually guaranteed that you will be able to get your original cabin back if you don't like the upgrade, as you are giving the cruise line free rain to assign you any stateroom above what you booked.

IF you book an assigned stateroom and mark your booking will NOT accept, then you have the chance to decline the upgrade offer.

As long as you leave your booking open to upgrade, you will sometimes not have a choice of declining the upgrade and staying in your original stateroom.

It does make sense; however, I don't see why you would even get an offer to upgrade if you check the box "no upgrade" or "keep my cabin" whatever the case may be. Why would they even bother asking you if you already told them in advance you want your specific cabin?

But other than that, I understand your post.

I think I'll just keep our cabin. I do not want to run the risk of having a fully exposed balcony and rarely being able to use it!!!! (too much sun)

Thanks.

Dawn

Dawn, Since you can not specify what you are upgraded to, in other words, you can not mark a booking as I will accept an upgrade, but only to a full suite. Many will mark their bookings as will not accept, and then they are notified and have the option if a good upgrade comes along whether they will accept it or not with no real risk in loosing their original stateroom. And others are just not interested at all in any upgrade as they are happy with the stateroom they chose. But sometimes Princess needs a certain category cabin, and even if you are marked as will not accept an upgrade, they will contact the TA or passenger (depending on how they booked) just to double check to see if they might be interested. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. ;)

In 2007, we were upgraded from an outside to a balcony. We got to San Juan and were waiting for the Princess transfer. Started talking to the couple next to us in line. We discover we each have a boarding pass for the same cabin. Turns out they had been upgraded to a mini. No one had informed them.

My TA has always advised us to mark our cabin 'Do not upgrade' if we like it as there is no guarantee that adequate notice will be given about an upgrade to allow opportunity to decline and keep original cabin. She also said you could not specify upgrade to certain cabin types only. Since we pick a cabin we like and there are certain types of cabins in higher categories that are not desirable in our opinion, we stick with 'do not upgrade'.

If that means we miss the elusive upgrade from XX to full suite, so be it...

Im much to fussy about selecting the exact cabin Im in the market for to ever consider rolling the dice and getting an upgrade which would put me anywhere on the ship. Sometimes an upgrade is just a higher category level of the same type of cabin you already have! I have my favorite locations on a ship and its too important to keep it, to me anyway.

Twice we have been told on checking in (after marking no upgrade) that we have a different cabin. Their idea of an upgrade is not ours. We choose very carefully our location and are happy with an inside cabin. On the Panama Canal cruise we ended up in the last cabin next to the crew door on Plaza deck. But it did have an outside window. I went directly to the purser's desk but they had already given our cabin to someone else! The last cruise we were moved from Baja to Emerald. We like to use the stairs but dh could not go up to Lido comfortably and I had to stop a couple of times. Wonder what next month will bring.

Dawn, Since you can not specify what you are upgraded to, in other words, you can not mark a booking as I will accept an upgrade, but only to a full suite. Many will mark their bookings as will not accept, and then they are notified and have the option if a good upgrade comes along whether they will accept it or not with no real risk in loosing their original stateroom. And others are just not interested at all in any upgrade as they are happy with the stateroom they chose. But sometimes Princess needs a certain category cabin, and even if you are marked as will not accept an upgrade, they will contact the TA or passenger (depending on how they booked) just to double check to see if they might be interested. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. ;)

I absolutely realize that I cannot mark a booking as "...will accept an upgrade on to full suite." That is precisely why I posted the question as to whether or not we would still have access to our originally selected cabin should be opt to decline the "upgrade," which we absolutely would in any other event other than an upgrade to a full suite.

I realize this is a LOOOOONG shot, but it does happen. And if I never leave myself open to the possibility, it surely won't ever happen. That is why I am doing my homework on the front end so I truly understand the ramifications of doing so.

Like many of you, we have NEVER booked a cruise without painstakingly choosing a cabin/location. This would be the only time we would ever consider the possibility, but again, that is because our mini is not the E729/E728 and the one we picked was one of the only two left in inventory. It is fine....but, in this particular case, if we were given the option of an upgrade to a full suite, we would jump at it (in this case....which hasn't always been the case).

I think I will keep it as is....my TA knows we wanted a suite (but the price difference was so ridiculous, it wasn't even almost an option). So if something comes down the pike, he'll contact us immediately.

Nice to know that we are not the only picky cabin choosers out there!

Thanks all!

:)

IF you book an assigned stateroom and mark your booking will NOT accept, then you have the chance to decline the upgrade offer completely if you wish and retain your original stateroom.

Edited, Here you go: https://book.princess.com/html/tapres/auto_upgrade_content.html

But notice this highlighted part of the 'declining an upgrade paragraph'

Declining an Upgrade That Has Been Assigned

When the complimentary upgrade is given, a confirmation is automatically sent. If your clients are not happy with the new cabin and category, you may call Princess to have the booking changed. The Reservations Agent will advise the correct department, who will address the issue. In most cases, the booking will be moved back to the original cabin if we are notified promptly. However, if the booking was originally a guarantee, the passengers must accept the upgrade, since there is no cabin to which the booking can be returned.

At least here in Oregon!

John

.... We choose very carefully our location and are happy with an inside cabin. On the Panama Canal cruise we ended up in the last cabin next to the crew door on Plaza deck. But it did have an outside window. I went directly to the purser's desk but they had already given our cabin to someone else! ....

Elequieu

We have selected Cabin P342 on the Dawn Princess and have marked it no upgrade. It is an inside cabin right next to the crew door on Plaza Deck, just past the Atrium. Was there a problem with noise from banging doors, lifts and stairs in that area? On a previous cruise we looked around that area and thought it was very stable and handy to lots of the facilities we use. We don't spend much time in the Cabin but on our sector of the World Cruise we'll be there for 53 nights.

I'm a gambler and usually book guarantee cabins to get the lowest possible price. If I went to the trouble and expense to pick out a great cabin, such as one of the Emerald mini suites, then I'd mark my reservation "no upgrade" and be content.

What my old TA told me is that if you are willing to accept an upgrade, then Princess notifies the TA and the TA has time to notify you--but that something usually messes up in that process and Princess goes ahead and moves you before you've had a chance to decline. Back then, the notification was by fax. It's probably emails now.

I absolutely realize that I cannot mark a booking as "...will accept an upgrade on to full suite." That is precisely why I posted the question as to whether or not we would still have access to our originally selected cabin should be opt to decline the "upgrade," which we absolutely would in any other event other than an upgrade to a full suite.

I realize this is a LOOOOONG shot, but it does happen. And if I never leave myself open to the possibility, it surely won't ever happen. That is why I am doing my homework on the front end so I truly understand the ramifications of doing so.

Like many of you, we have NEVER booked a cruise without painstakingly choosing a cabin/location. This would be the only time we would ever consider the possibility, but again, that is because our mini is not the E729/E728 and the one we picked was one of the only two left in inventory. It is fine....but, in this particular case, if we were given the option of an upgrade to a full suite, we would jump at it (in this case....which hasn't always been the case).

I think I will keep it as is....my TA knows we wanted a suite (but the price difference was so ridiculous, it wasn't even almost an option). So if something comes down the pike, he'll contact us immediately.

Nice to know that we are not the only picky cabin choosers out there!

Thanks all!

:)

You may not find out about an upgrade until it is too late to get back your original cabin.

I love CC'ers! I had no idea that there was a chance I would still receive an offer of an upgrade (slim though it may be) when I marked "No upgrade". We booked B749 - corner aft cabin on CB for October's cruise out of New York. Have never been in that cabin but have heard so many great things - I'm sure I will keep it - regardless of what I might be offered. (Unless - of course - it was a presidential suite or something!:D)

Elequieu

We have selected Cabin P342 on the Dawn Princess and have marked it no upgrade. It is an inside cabin right next to the crew door on Plaza Deck, just past the Atrium. Was there a problem with noise from banging doors, lifts and stairs in that area? On a previous cruise we looked around that area and thought it was very stable and handy to lots of the facilities we use. We don't spend much time in the Cabin but on our sector of the World Cruise we'll be there for 53 nights.

Joll- Can't comment on the lifts, etc, as we were quite far from there. But I only heard a crew member a couple of times and I don't think I was ever awakened by one. The plaza Deck seems to be very quiet both early morning and late evening except for, I suppose, champagne waterfall night. We go to bed and get up early and so far have never been bothered by noise. I wish the flight to Australia weren't so long or we would go again in a minute. Enjoy. Doris

Sometimes if there is no response or the TA fails to notify the passenger they may change the cabins anyway.

You should be able to keep your original cabin but thats not always the case.

On my second cruise with Princess I booked with a TA in an assigned cabin but through sheer ignorance on my behalf didnot realize that I could be given a complementary upgrade.Didnot know at the time one should mark no upgrade.

I did get an upgrade to an area I didnot like.The TA didnot inform me and it was just changed in my Cruise Personalizer a few days before we sailed.My original cabin had been re assigned.

Lesson learned the hard way.

On my second cruise with Princess I booked with a TA in an assigned cabin but through sheer ignorance on my behalf didnot realize that I could be given a complementary upgrade.Didnot know at the time one should mark no upgrade.

I did get an upgrade to an area I didnot like.The TA didnot inform me and it was just changed in my Cruise Personalizer a few days before we sailed.My original cabin had been re assigned.

Lesson learned the hard way.

And it still seeems to happen. :(

Im much to fussy about selecting the exact cabin Im in the market for to ever consider rolling the dice and getting an upgrade which would put me anywhere on the ship. Sometimes an upgrade is just a higher category level of the same type of cabin you already have! I have my favorite locations on a ship and its too important to keep it, to me anyway.

Can I ask where your favorite locations are?

Can I ask where your favorite locations are?

Obviously everyone has preferences but I like the mini-suites on Emerald Deck especially the end one which has a larger balcony, anything facing aft and not directly under the pool/Lido deck.

Archived