Portofino and Chops with a toddler

Grota2

Cruising with my family, 7 of us in all including my 21 year old son and my 1 1/2 year old son. Just wondering if anyone knows if we would have to pay the surcharge for the toddler if he just ate off the adults meals? I am aware of the before 7pm time for children, we would probably go around 6.

We requested a pack n play for babies sleeptime. Should I check on this in advance. It would be a major obstacle if none were available.

This is our first time with RCL, we'll be on the FOS leaving Sept 12th. Also wondering how to get tickets to the Ice Show. I remember seeing it before but couldn't find it using the search.

Thanks all, what a great forum for us newbies.

Cruising with my family, 7 of us in all including my 21 year old son and my 1 1/2 year old son. Just wondering if anyone knows if we would have to pay the surcharge for the toddler if he just ate off the adults meals? I am aware of the before 7pm time for children, we would probably go around 6.

I thought there was an age requirement in the specialty dining areas so I checked on RCIs web site. This is what I found:

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome and may be booked on-line. Children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. but must be booked onboard; based on availability and total party size. After 7 p.m. children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Hope this helps,

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

I have to agree with Bakincakes...the service in the specialty restaurants cannot be considered brisk. I highly recommend a sitter so the rest of your family may enjoy the experience at its fullest.

So sorry....I hadn't read the question fully. My mistake. Probably the best thing to do is to call RCI and ask. That's what I would do. Another question, why not pop for a baby sitter for that one evening and not have to fuss with a toddler? Not being critical or anything like that. Toddlers just look like a whole lot of work to me. :-)

Pamela

Tucson

Don't take this the wrong way but please do not take a 1.5 yr old to a specialty restaurant.....these are 2 hr+ dinners...there is no way unless the toddler is out sleeping that they will calmly last thru a dinner that long. Even if you eat at 6 you wouldn't be out of there till at least 8PM.

When you say "ate off the adults' meals" do you mean if he eats some of your dinner and doesn't have one of his own? I don't know why I asked, because I don't know the answer, LOL, but knowing how RCI is doing their best to squeeze blood from a turnip these days, I think you'll have to pay his cover charge whether or not he gets his own food.

Many of the ships no longer hand out tickets for the ice show. On Mariner, for example, you just show up. But if they still do hand out tickets, then you'd go to Guest Services at a time that they'll announce in the daily planner.

Yes, they do charge for children -- even toddlers. They do this to discourage children from coming into these restaurants. They know that some people choose the specialty restaurants because of the adult atmosphere, and charging a hefty fee is a more polite, less direct way of keeping kids out.

Yes, they do charge for children -- even toddlers. They do this to discourage children from coming into these restaurants. They know that some people choose the specialty restaurants because of the adult atmosphere, and charging a hefty fee is a more polite, less direct way of keeping kids out.

We agree!

###

It used to be it was adults only after 7. I don't know if that has changed.

But I also have to agree with bajathree. I say this with the best intentions and not to flame. Most of us go there to have a great meal away from the bustle and noise of the mdr. The lights are dimmed and it is very nice in there. Please think twice about taking a 1.5 year old.

thanks everyone, for your replies. We'll heed your advice. Although baby is very good in restaurants, (he eats everything, we're even going to try escargot), I hadn't considered the length of the meal. Wifey hasn't yet OK'd a sitter, but grandma has offered to watch him. I was just hoping to get all 7 of us together.

We are planning on trying the MDR. If it doesn't work and he creates a scene, we'll either eat in shifts or do the buffet. We are the type of people who are aware of the surroundings and will not let him become unruly.

thanks again.

thanks everyone, for your replies. We'll heed your advice. Although baby is very good in restaurants, (he eats everything, we're even going to try escargot), I hadn't considered the length of the meal. Wifey hasn't yet OK'd a sitter, but grandma has offered to watch him. I was just hoping to get all 7 of us together.

We are planning on trying the MDR. If it doesn't work and he creates a scene, we'll either eat in shifts or do the buffet. We are the type of people who are aware of the surroundings and will not let him become unruly.

thanks again.

Definitely take your toddler to the MDR with you. The waiters will make sure he has something to eat first. After the first night, they will know what you want waiting for him, a bowl of fruit or whatever you think will help. His main meal will come as soon as you want it, with your appetizers if you want. If he gets fussy, he can go for a walk out on deck with someone between courses.

On the main dining room - if you are doing MTD or the early seating, you will be absolutely fine with your little one. There are lots of families in the early seating. Also, it is not exactly quiet in the MDR! LOL The only thing about the late seating is that it is mostly adults, and won't be over until 9:30 or 10:00.

Have a great time on your cruise! :)

thanks again.

Thank you for being considerate of others in the restaurants. :)

You are kidding, right? I just love the way people throw stuff like this out as fact. :rolleyes: :D

RCI has never had a problem enforcing any policy they choose to enforce (think alcohol policies). If they wanted to keep kids out they would simply not allow them in. I think it is far more logical to assume that they charge for children because it is more revenue for RCI - and because they can.......... I don't think "politeness" is high on RCI's priorities. :p

We are planning on trying the MDR. If it doesn't work and he creates a scene, we'll either eat in shifts or do the buffet.

You and your child will be most welcomed and well taken care of in the MDR. We've seen it on every cruise. The wait team will help make your dinner time special and, as stated, will bring your little guy something to nibble right away so he doesn't get fussy. On one of our cruises, we saw a child who had a small (very small, quiet, unobtrusive) DVD set up at the table so he could watch movies discreetly. He sat in his high chair and was a dream. :)

Concerning the Ice Show, watch your Cruise Compass (the printed newsletter) every day for instructions concerning this; it may even be printed the very first issue, as tickets (or seats - they may no longer give out paper tickets) will be distributed soon after departure.

You will enjoy Freedom. Something they do that is really fun too, is they have Casual Portraits. It's great for families travelling together who want a special momento of the trip. Casual portraits are on a plain white or black background, barefoot, and you can wear whatever you like. We've seen families where everyone wore blue jeans and a white shirt, for example. It was so fun. We liked the white background better. You can have as many pictures taken as you want throughout your cruise, and then you view them and you only purchase the shots you like.

I hope you have a great cruise! Sounds like a nice family vacation. :)

Wow this is one of the great things about this board. I have to agree with the posters suggesting to refrain from taking a little one to the specialty restaurants. I am a young grandmother of 7 kids ranging from 17 months to 17 yrs old. I would consider taking the 12 and 17 yr olds but not the younger ones. Even 12 and 17 might be pushing the limit. Like previously said the meal is 2 plus hours. The food and service are excellent. Even though RCCL says no younger kids after 6 pm seating, remember your will be there until 8-8:30. It was mentioned the possibility of removing the young child for a walk if there is an issue. However, this will interrupt the routine of the wait staff and chefs because they will be attempting to accomodate your meal. All this because RCCL is trying to make the meal a special time for everyone in attendance.

In January, we experienced just what you are hoping to avoid. Our reservation was 7 pm. We were seated by a large family. There were generations at this table. The youngest child appeared to be near 2. This child proceeded to cry and yell. In frustration the parent would let the child down to move around the table. The child was walking/running doing laps around the table. After 10 minutes of this we asked to be moved. The noise continued for the next hour until they left. The family was oblivous to the disruption of the other diners special evening and lingered some time over coffee. It was very obvious RCCL staff was in a precarious position.

I applaud you for asking ahead of time and being considerate of others. That is a rarity these days. I wish you and your family a wonderful cruising experience.

OP: Dont miss the MDR with your entire family! Its comfortable and as others have said, get up to take your baby out for a stroll on deck and change of scenery. Also, since you mentioned he is well beahved and accustomed to restaurants, just go as you would. (we always took the most appropriate toys etc to occupy ours.)

Wow this is one of the great things about this board. I have to agree with the posters suggesting to refrain from taking a little one to the specialty restaurants. I am a young grandmother of 7 kids ranging from 17 months to 17 yrs old. I would consider taking the 12 and 17 yr olds but not the younger ones. Even 12 and 17 might be pushing the limit. Like previously said the meal is 2 plus hours. The food and service are excellent. Even though RCCL says no younger kids after 6 pm seating, remember your will be there until 8-8:30. It was mentioned the possibility of removing the young child for a walk if there is an issue. However, this will interrupt the routine of the wait staff and chefs because they will be attempting to accomodate your meal. All this because RCCL is trying to make the meal a special time for everyone in attendance.

In January, we experienced just what you are hoping to avoid. Our reservation was 7 pm. We were seated by a large family. There were generations at this table. The youngest child appeared to be near 2. This child proceeded to cry and yell. In frustration the parent would let the child down to move around the table. The child was walking/running doing laps around the table. After 10 minutes of this we asked to be moved. The noise continued for the next hour until they left. The family was oblivous to the disruption of the other diners special evening and lingered some time over coffee. It was very obvious RCCL staff was in a precarious position.

I applaud you for asking ahead of time and being considerate of others. That is a rarity these days. I wish you and your family a wonderful cruising experience.

We were in a very similar situation last year on Indy. We were sat next to a very similiar group as you describe....the grandfather started to loudly sing songs to the children....you have to be kidding me....after about 10 minutes when that didn't work they told the 2 young children to go look out the window.....well who do you think was sitting by the window....NOT THEM...yep my wife and I.....so we ended up with 2 children sitting under our table looking out the window.....without try to start a scene because I was fuming at this point I stared at the parents thinking they would get the point....NOPE never.....after 10 minutes we got up and asked to be moved to another part of the dining room.....it is amazing how some people couldn't give a damn....it's all about them:rolleyes:

Of course the staff apologized like crazy....they told us the people made reservations for 5 but didn't show up till after 6 and promised they would be quick....well my wife and I had 7:30 reservations....so much for being quick....the staff was not happy with these people.

We were in a very similar situation last year on Indy. We were sat next to a very similiar group as you describe....the grandfather started to loudly sing songs to the children....you have to be kidding me....after about 10 minutes when that didn't work they told the 2 young children to go look out the window.....well who do you think was sitting by the window....NOT THEM...yep my wife and I.....so we ended up with 2 children sitting under our table looking out the window.....without try to start a scene because I was fuming at this point I stared at the parents thinking they would get the point....NOPE never.....after 10 minutes we got up and asked to be moved to another part of the dining room.....it is amazing how some people couldn't give a damn....it's all about them:rolleyes:

Of course the staff apologized like crazy....they told us the people made reservations for 5 but didn't show up till after 6 and promised they would be quick....well my wife and I had 7:30 reservations....so much for being quick....the staff was not happy with these people.

And if you had accidently kicked the kids or stepped on their fingers while they were under your table, you'd be chewed out by the parents :rolleyes:

You're a stronger person than me....I'd have said something to the parents.

The scene you describe is just why RCI should be stricter about enforcing the rules. If you pay extra for a special meal and are looking forward to you, you should not have to put up with small kids who really should not be subjected to a 2 1/2 hour meals and parents (and grandparents) who have no parenting skills.

And if you had accidently kicked the kids or stepped on their fingers while they were under your table, you'd be chewed out by the parents :rolleyes:

You're a stronger person than me....I'd have said something to the parents.

Or maybe sued.

thanks again.

You sound like a very considerate person unlike the two families described by other posters.

You experiences the "it's all about me" phenomenom. I think after reading this board, if we are every seated near a family with underage children, we will ask for another table before they seat us. That being said, we do reserve at 8:30 or later so we should not encounter this type of situation.

Archived