Mexican cruise ports

Based on news reports, it is clear that violence is increasing in Mexico. If the credibility of the Mexican Govt is as good as the US govt, it is reasonable to assume that many such incidents especially in tourist areas, are being supressed. To be honest, we are now somewhat reluctant to venture very far from the cruise ship when it stops in Mexico. Can we discuss this on CC?

Based on news reports, it is clear that violence is increasing in Mexico. If the credibility of the Mexican Govt is as good as the US govt, it is reasonable to assume that many such incidents especially in tourist areas, are being supressed. To be honest, we are now somewhat reluctant to venture very far from the cruise ship when it stops in Mexico. Can we discuss this on CC?

I would hope so, since we have the same reservations.

Living on the Mexican border, I would think it would depend on what city you are going to and whether or not you are a drug user or dealer. You might want to look at the news for your own city and compare with the city you are going to visit. Places like Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta seem just fine. Friends and I (in our 50s and 60s) are able to meander all over the place with no problems. Just be a smart traveler. Don't be a stupid (meaning careless) tourist. Be aware of your surroundings. We go off the beaten path all the time in Puerto Vallarta and have never had or heard of a problem. But it doesn't mean that we let our guard down--like we wouldn't let our guard down in any city in the US either. I don't know too much about the East coast of Mexico but you might want to check the statistics.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

It depends on the port stop. Some are very safe. Some, not so much.

Cozumel is very safe, yet Cancun is slipping. The Cuban-American Mafia and the Los Zetas have gotten a foothold in Cancun and rival violence is increasing.

On the Riviera, Cabo is good, and Ixtapa/Zihuan. is good. Yet, Acapulco is in trouble. Acapulco is a landing points for drugs out of Central and South America.

It will be interesting to see if Mexican Riviera cruise bookings decline or if the cruise lines cut their Mexican schedules.

Sad for Mexico which was great country with great people.

Since Royal Caribbean is leaving the MR for Europe and the Caribbean - They will have no regular bookings to the west coast of Mexico for the next few years.

Living on the Mexican border, I would think it would depend on what city you are going to and whether or not you are a drug user or dealer. You might want to look at the news for your own city and compare with the city you are going to visit. Places like Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta seem just fine. Friends and I (in our 50s and 60s) are able to meander all over the place with no problems. Just be a smart traveler. Don't be a stupid (meaning careless) tourist. Be aware of your surroundings. We go off the beaten path all the time in Puerto Vallarta and have never had or heard of a problem. But it doesn't mean that we let our guard down--like we wouldn't let our guard down in any city in the US either. I don't know too much about the East coast of Mexico but you might want to check the statistics.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

Exactly, Pamela - we felt fine going last year - it's the non-touristy areas that are starting to get people in trouble - those that are driving through Mexico, cities within 100 miles of the border, Cancun, Acapulco and of course, Mexico City.

Be smart and aware about what you do, know where you're going and you should be fine.

Archived