New Ships: names and rendering

CruisinChris

Nothing about that picture looks right. It looks odd. I am 100% certain that looks nothing like the final ships.

You don't think it is normal that the ceilings get taller when you move towards the aft?

The drawing is just plain ugly. I am sure it is wrong or I really think the ship will sink with a heavy aft.

The original pic was taken at an angle since I was dodging Princess security to take it surreptitiously.. head on, it didn't look too bad.

The rendering looks like someone morphed a Princess stack onto an existing drawing of an RC ship. The placement of the lifeboats, the "hump", and even the little almost-platform at the stern right at the waterline look entirely too Oasis.

I assure you, this photo was created by Princess. :)

Nothing about that picture looks right. It looks odd. I am 100% certain that looks nothing like the final ships.

Artist's renderings usually don't look like the final product. I have an artist's rendition postcard of the Island Princess from her inaugural season that looks very different from what was delivered.

Artist's renderings usually don't look like the final product. I have an artist's rendition postcard of the Island Princess from her inaugural season that looks very different from what was delivered.

Didn't the first one have a bow at both ends and like the Great Lakes Ore carriers. :eek:

The opposition to the names really cracks me up. Whenever there is a thread on here about naming the future Princess ships, someone ALWAYS suggests recycling those old names and everyone loves the idea and thinks it's a great nod to the past. Now, that it actually might happen, people dislike it and think it dishonors the previous Regal and Royal(s). You can't win for trying. ;)

As for the design, it's not the worst, but not the best either. I'm not a fan of the lifeboats hanging on the side of the ship look - Oasis and Carnival Dream have this and it's pretty ugly IMHO. It also means no real promenade deck, which is unfortunate. I'm wondering what all the windows below the lifeboats are for. Must be a lot of public rooms, if Princess is going to go ahead with the "no outside cabins" plan.

I suspect the larger aft near the waterline is a takeoff on RCI and X's S-class ships. Supposedly having that extra piece on the waterline reduces drag and is more fuel efficient. Who knows for sure, though, how these two ships will really end up looking in the end.

The original pic was taken at an angle since I was dodging Princess security to take it surreptitiously.. head on, it didn't look too bad.

I assure you, this photo was created by Princess. :)

So now you've admitted this are you on the "banned from cruising with us" list ? :rolleyes:

Head on it still looks too darn big. Can you imagine 3-4 of these things in St.Thomas or Grand Cayman? They're getting so big the lifeboats must be about the size of the original "Love Boat" Pacific Princess !

The opposition to the names really cracks me up. Whenever there is a thread on here about naming the future Princess ships, someone ALWAYS suggests recycling those old names and everyone loves the idea and thinks it's a great nod to the past. Now, that it actually might happen, people dislike it and think it dishonors the previous Regal and Royal(s). You can't win for trying. ;)
I'm sorry you're upset or offended by those of us who think the name "Royal" is special. The fact remains that it IS a special name. The original Royal Princess' godmother was Princess Diana and the ship was dedicated to her. Not just special but very special. I'm sure you're aware of this but in case you're not, there are many who feel strongly about the Royal and her association with Princess Di. Sentimental? Absolutely. But I don't understand why you think this is stupid and "cracks you up." i also dont understand why Princess recycles names and isn't original enough to come up with new ones.

You gotta love the Internet... this is a picture that I took back in May at Princess HQ and posted in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194532&highlight= Since I only posted here on Cruise Critic, maybe I should prosecute for copyright infringement? :p:rolleyes:

I spoke with some friends at Princess recently and asked about the newbuilds. Since the keels aren't to be laid for a year or so, they are working on refining the designs.

And the name question is still up in the air. I also had originally speculated about them recycling Regal Princess and Royal Princess since it made sense. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146409&highlight= But who knows, we may see Opal Princess and Pearl Princess yet...:)

Thank God that was just a guess. I get so tired of them re-using ship names! Whomever makes the decision to name them needs to be a bit more creative! Please no Regal or Royal, they've been done already and these ships do not resemble them at all.

Thanks. I hate the fact that they are naming a huge ship after the two previous Royal Princess', which were small and elegant. I also think it's going to be confusing since the current Royal Princess won't have been gone from the fleet very long before the new one is launched. Usually, they wait several years before reusing a name. I loved the old Regal Princess. :(

It's a shame they want to name the ships Royal and Regal. The picture looks like a mishapen whale. It certainly doesn't look Royal or Regal. :(

I'm sorry you're upset or offended by those of us who think the name "Royal" is special. The fact remains that it IS a special name. The original Royal Princess' godmother was Princess Diana and the ship was dedicated to her. Not just special but very special. I'm sure you're aware of this but in case you're not, there are many who feel strongly about the Royal and her association with Princess Di. Sentimental? Absolutely. But I don't understand why you think this is stupid and "cracks you up." i also dont understand why Princess recycles names and isn't original enough to come up with new ones.

I am well aware of how special and innovative the original Royal Princess was at the time, as well as the fact that Princess Diana was the godmother. Everyone has ships that they are attached to, I understand that well even if I never sailed the old Royal. It may be a special or sentimental name to most, but it looks like Princess thinks the name is special enough to re-use it. I also never said I was upset, offended, or that the issue was stupid, so please don't put words in my mouth.

Go back to some of the copious naming threads - plenty of people advocated and applauded re-using the old names, and now there's this big opposition to it. The switch from those posts to this one is almost funny to see. Clearly, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

So now you've admitted this are you on the "banned from cruising with us" list ? :rolleyes:

Well, the drawing was in a public area... Princess has a campus of buildings next to the Valencia Town Center mall and one of the buildings houses a bank and a credit union and they had the drawing in the lobby... seems like fair game to me! :p And hey, any publicity is good publicity right?.. :)

• 3 months later...
For those of you wishing Princess to not use the names of "smaller" ships Royal and Regal, remember, they were both the largest in the Princess fleet when launched.

My feeling is that it is appropriate to reuse the names Royal Princess and Regal Princess. I don't have the emotional investment in those names that some do, but I think it is honoring the memory of those ships to give them to the new-builds. Please remember that Princess has quite a history of reusing ship names. There's Pacific Princess, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Island Princess, Golden Princess, Crown Princess, Ocean Princess, Royal Princess and Star Princess. All those names were used on previous ships...

I love reading folks stating that Coral is the perfect size for a ship, so then you have a facorite to stick with & enjoy.

IMHO I want BIG, so more room per person, new & better restaurants, pool areas for adults, a kids area away from adults, no skating rinks, rock climbing walls as you have another Cruise line that I just sold their stockafter it keeps falling.

I am hoping this is bigger & better than Grand was she was my dream ship and had everything to make a trip wonderful. But then I see her rear & she resembled a shopping cart. So I am hoping we have a beautiful ship, with a very nice mini golf course, even a computerized golf course for adults who play the sport to enjoy. We have them build all over CLE and they are very successful.

I would really like an indoor pool for Alaskan cruises, so this could be a removable roof even. Outdoor pool with a lazy river ride with inner tubes would be wonderful for all ages to enjoy.

For entertainment I would want some known performers, not these comedians that do 1 show 3 times a week and it never changed. The theatre would be top name entertainment, with productions shows.

For a name I vote for ENCHANTING PRINCESS for the WOW effect.

I'm with you on that one.

Aft Lover-you should be aware, that bigger does not always translate into "more space per person". They took a very comfortable passenger space ratio on Grand and sisters, and make it bigger, creating the Crown,Emerald and Ruby. This translated into much much less space per passenger, as all they added were extra cabins. No additional public rooms, no extra deck space, no additional pools; just alot less space per passenger. Becareful of what you wish for!!! Give me the Sun class or Coral class anyday, and the original 3 or 5 Grand class any day over the last set of Grand class.

Aft Lover-you should be aware, that bigger does not always translate into "more space per person". They took a very comfortable passenger space ratio on Grand and sisters, and make it bigger, creating the Crown,Emerald and Ruby. This translated into much much less space per passenger, as all they added were extra cabins. No additional public rooms, no extra deck space, no additional pools; just alot less space per passenger. Becareful of what you wish for!!! Give me the Sun class or Coral class anyday, and the original 3 or 5 Grand class any day over the last set of Grand class.

Well, if Fincantieri is correct and the 3,600 figure is for MAX passengers, then a ship that is 20,000 tons larger than the current super-Grand-class ships with the same maximum passenger complement would have a very favorable space ratio.

Rick EK---True, only in so far as the math is concerned. In reality though, almost all the added 20,000 tons was is in passenger ACCOMODATION spaces. Very very little of the added space was in public rooms, be it additional or larger lounges or additional deck space. You probably are aware that "gross registered tons" are a measure of any enclosable space (cubic feet) rather than weight on a scale. Add a cabin and the weight goes up. Check the deck plans; length and width remain the same, just an additional deck (Riviera) of cabins were added. More tons, but no additional space ouotside of your cabin inspite of an additional 490 passengers!! If you were to divide the amount of public space by the new passenger space, the ration has fallen dramatically.

Archived