Choosing your cruise depends on...

Mr. Luckytoo

Who is going (couple or family)

What is the reason for the cruise (sightseeing, snorkeling, beach, relax)

Where is it going?

When it's going (holiday, hurricane season, kids in school, kids out of school)

How much it will cost (cheap, cheap or splurge)

Stock ownership

Loyalty level (new, gold, silver, elite, platinum, etc)

Amount of OBC available

Price reductions available after booking

Right now my only decision is that how close is it to my home since I do not fly. Which only leaves too ports - Galveston and New Orleans.

I also do not fly but I have found that with some planning I can take a cruise from anywhere in the US by taking the train to the port. Then if I need to catch a cruise out of Freeport in the Bahamas I can take the ferry from FL and if I wish to take a river cruise in Europe I can go Transatlantic on Cunard or a repositioning cruise from other US ports and do the river cruises. I can even get to all of the Pacific etc with never having to fly. Do not limit yourself to just the two ports you have listed be creative and enjoy the world of not flying.

We live within a day or day and a half of all the Florida ports so we cruise to the Carib. Most of our cruises are in Jan., Feb., or Mar. We cruise to escape the gray skies and cold weather in north GA. at this time of the year. Usually will spend the week before or after the cruise in FL. Being retired price has always been important to us. If price is close we would choose the Eastern or Southern Carib. over the Western, as there are several ports on the western side that we do not care for, but we can always stay on board. Generally we wait to book within 90 days of cruise date as destination or cabin choice or cruise line is not important to us and we have had several nice upgrades. We have had 7 day cruises that have cost us, not including the drive to and from FL., less than $1000 including all onboard expenses. This works for us and allows to cruise more often. Bill

Price, ports and ship, in that order. Plus, since I've gotten 3 cruises under my belt at Carnival and am a satisfied customer, and the fact that we don't get to cruise that often (so I prefer to stay with a product I'm comfortable with), I haven't ventured to other lines yet.

Itinerary is the first thing. We prefer new places, but that's getting harder to do. We live at the beach, so going to the islands isn't high on our list of places to visit. Next important thing are the dates. After that it would be having our preferred cabin category available. Also, having future cruise credits available so we don't have to tie up any money.

Dates that work for everyone traveling

Departure port that is readily available by car or where reasonable airfare is available. Cruise Price including incentives (OBC or free gratuities)

Cruise line

Ship amenities that work for the group

Itinerary (not too many ports; we enjoy the relaxing days at sea)

If it is just DH and myself, we can be more flexible. As the size of the group grows, it is more of a challenge. We have almost always gone with a guaranteed cabin type rather than a specific cabin and have never been diappointed. Therefore a specific cabin never hits the list.

Archived