Greece--Report from the Front lines/New Acropolis Museum

numbersix

We were on the Ruby Princess (Aug 9th, Rome to Venice), stopping in Greece in Santorini, Mykonos, Athens (Aug 17th), Katakalon, and Corfu.

We experienced no trouble at all, and saw no signs of trouble, unrest, or anything that might cause travellers concern of any kind. Things, to be sure, might not be quite as vibrant as they were (we were there in '04, and again in '08), and one might detect a certain malaise, but the current situation, while a challenge, cannot even come close to some of the challenges that Greek civilization has been faced with, and overcome, over the millenia.

The only (slight) glitch was that the (Green) Metro line from Piraeus terminates at Monastiraki, due to construction, and so one must change there to the blue line for one stop, changing at Syntagma to the red line for the one stop to Akropoli. I know that some get off at Monastiraki anyway, and do the steep climb up to the Acropolis, but we prefer the 'easy' climb up the back way, off Dyonysiou, and buy our tickets there with no lineups. Athens metro map:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mlahanas.de/Greece/Regions/images/AthensMetroMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.mlahanas.de/Greece/Regions/AthensMetro.html&h=583&w=640&sz=44&tbnid=2PsfwbRMJo9U-M:&tbnh=125&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dathens%2Bmetro%2Bmap&zoom=1&q=athens+metro+map&hl=en&usg=__ODUD2cKrCg7C2UxW5udEgDHdC5s=&sa=X&ei=I7x_TI36MoOB8gawqqmBAg&ved=0CCwQ9QEwBA

BTW: We (later) visited the New Acropolis Museum, and were absolutely taken aback---it is stunning!! While it did open something like six years behind schedule (we've found that a few years one way or the other is of little concern to a 5000 year old civilization), we found that it was entirely worth waiting for. Its an immeasurable improvement over the old, musty, cramped quarters on the Acropolis, and the bulding, its layout, and the presentation of its priceless antiquities to be just breathtaking. Don't miss it!

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/?la=2

Kevin

BTW: We (later) visited the New Acropolis Museum, and were absolutely taken aback---it is stunning!! While it did open something like six years behind schedule (we've found that a few years one way or the other is of little concern to a 5000 year old civilization), we found that it was entirely worth waiting for. Its an immeasurable improvement over the old, musty, cramped quarters on the Acropolis, and the bulding, its layout, and the presentation of its priceless antiquities to be just breathtaking. Don't miss it!

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/?la=2

Kevin

The Acropolis Museum is indeed amazing. The presentation is indeed breathtaking. However, one of the most impressive parts of the presentation is the large blank space on the pediments, with a small sign noting that the statues that are supposed to be there are now in the possession of the British Museum. It is abundantly clear where they SHOULD be and hopefully world opinion will someday get them returned there.

The Acropolis Museum is indeed amazing. The presentation is indeed breathtaking. However, one of the most impressive parts of the presentation is the large blank space on the pediments, with a small sign noting that the statues that are supposed to be there are now in the possession of the British Museum. It is abundantly clear where they SHOULD be and hopefully world opinion will someday get them returned there.

Interesting comment and point by Mike. We saw the old Acropolis Museum in 2006 and the new building being finished with its impressive site and view. I'm sure it's super nice. There was an interesting and very good collection inside the old museum. Pictured below are some items that I assume are still part of the collection in the new building.

At the time, the "spin" by the British Museum was that "their" Marbles could not be returned to Greece because of worries that they could be damaged in transportation back and that the Greece didn't have a nice enough place to store and protect them in Athens. Now, there is a nice museum to protect and honor them, but there has been no movement by the British to return them to Greece. It's a challenging question of whether, if and when certain items "borrowed" from Greece, Egypt, Italy, etc., would be returned to these places of origin.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Parthenon Museum historic art and other items:

AcrpMuseum.jpg

Thank you, #6. Will be there in Nov. Is it difficult getting from the port to the metro lines?

It's not difficult, but it is about a 20-30 minute walk from where most cruise ships dock to the metro. There are a number of posts here that give step-by-step instructions on how to get there.

Hi looking forward to our visit to Athens in October. Small point about the British returning the parts of the Acropolis frieze which are in The British Museum. Whilst we can have a certain sympathy - and I know the new Museum would now be a safe place - if you think this is so then surely the same applies to the many treasures from the Old World that are now sitting in Museums in the New World some of which are in private hands - very much enjoyed the Getty in California but should they all be sent back too. Should all museum exhibits be returned to their country of origin - think that might be a major undertaking.

Can someone please confirm if tickets to the New Acropolis Museum are timed, or can we buy tickets there and go anytime.

Thanks!

When we went we just walked up purchased tickets and went in. There was no line at all. I would not worry about getting them ahead of time. I was not really impressed with the museum, and found the one at Delos to be much better. We were there the last week of May on a Saturday.

Hi looking forward to our visit to Athens in October. Small point about the British returning the parts of the Acropolis frieze which are in The British Museum. Whilst we can have a certain sympathy - and I know the new Museum would now be a safe place - if you think this is so then surely the same applies to the many treasures from the Old World that are now sitting in Museums in the New World some of which are in private hands - very much enjoyed the Getty in California but should they all be sent back too. Should all museum exhibits be returned to their country of origin - think that might be a major undertaking.

Many were given as gifts. Do I think those taken by force or under suspicious circumstances should be returned? Yes, particularly those that are the crown jewels of an iconic site and whose removal amounts to a defacement of said site!

My university, through an odd set of circumstances, acquired an Egyptian mummy that had sat in a museum of curiosities in Niagara falls for many years. Upon examination and testing, it turns out that the mummy was a royal mummy, and the university did the right thing and allowed it to be returned to Egypt, where it is now displayed in the Luxor museum (where I had opportunity to visit it). Why can't other museums do the same thing?

I'm not just picking on the Elgin marbles. I think the Permamum altar in Berlin should be returned to Turkey, the bust of Nefertiti (also in Berlin) to Egypt, and the bronze horses in Venice should go back to Constantinople/Istanbul from whence they were looted. :) I'd also like the Vatican to melt down the bronze Baldachino over the altar in St Peters and restore it to the Pantheon, where they originally scavenged it from its original bronze-covered ceiling!

I say all this half in jest. But wouldn't it be great if it happened?

Dear Cruisemom, I bow to your superior knowledge as you are obviously an academic and I am not. My point is that there are wonderful artefacts in museums all over the world which are far away from their origins. There are six other museums in Europe with sculptures from The Parthenon. The Elgin Marbles were not stolen - one could argue they were rescued - they have been on display since 1817 and millions of people have enjoyed them. One does have sympathy for the Greek position - but there is certainly no suggestion that they would be reinstated - they would be part of another museum display. Whether this is right is a moot point - but the argument carried on to its logical conclusion could empty many fantastic museums which add to the cultural heritage of us all.

Dear Cruisemom, I bow to your superior knowledge as you are obviously an academic and I am not. My point is that there are wonderful artefacts in museums all over the world which are far away from their origins. There are six other museums in Europe with sculptures from The Parthenon. The Elgin Marbles were not stolen - one could argue they were rescued - they have been on display since 1817 and millions of people have enjoyed them. One does have sympathy for the Greek position - but there is certainly no suggestion that they would be reinstated - they would be part of another museum display. Whether this is right is a moot point - but the argument carried on to its logical conclusion could empty many fantastic museums which add to the cultural heritage of us all.

Well, what I said is "It is abundantly clear where the statues SHOULD be." There are some things that are simply the right thing to do. To display these statues in their proper place and context is one of those things. Legal questions, historical questions, academic questions are all things that can be argued. Sometimes, people of great hearts and great minds can put all those aside and do what is right. For the benefit of the whole world, the statues from the pediment of the Parthenon should be displayed in the museum of the Acropolis. Right is right.

Archived