Is it time to change the policy on auto tipping?

Sea King

Does the crew pay income tax on their wages now?...To who?...Do they pay income tax on the daily "service charge" now?...Do they pay income tax on extra tips now?...My understanding has always been that tips were never included in the cruise fare because that amount would be subject to a commision for TA's...They certainly are not port charges or government taxes...But I don't claim to know the true answer.

No they do not pay income tax now, as the HSC is collected on board & paid to the crew on board..

If it were included in your Cruise Fare the Crew would be subject to Income Taxes according the Hotel Mgr's who have posted on many CC threads....

I don't know if this is true, but I do trust the two HM's who post here as they have been in the business for many many years..

Cheers...:)Betty

The auto tip is just like paying for baggage or drinks on a flight... , the service charge at a hotel.. comission.. you name it. it':rolleyes:s the cost of doing business It is why the lines don't advertise more inclusive rates,,, to keep the price point down.

It is also a liability of debt that Holland America dosent have to deal with..

This is one reason many turm to the non tip lines like Regent and Silversea ... you pay more up fromt but know the exact cost of the trip as erveything fron booze to shore tours is included in the price -

I dont see it as a tip at all just another service charge

As long as we're talking about tipping - or the service charge - or whatever you want to call it - how does HAL handle it? When is the automatic charge applied? at check-in? Do you get any type of statement or vouchers to hand out to those you tip? (we've only been on Royal ... )

As long as we're talking about tipping - or the service charge - or whatever you want to call it - how does HAL handle it? When is the automatic charge applied? at check-in? Do you get any type of statement or vouchers to hand out to those you tip? (we've only been on Royal ... )
The Hotel Service Charge is added to you onboard account each day, and paid at the end of the cruise. The stewards are made aware of any passengers who have had it removed or lowered.

I

. She obviously had not idea the money would be pulled (It was being pulled in the dining room too because I saw the dining room stewards tossing cash into a drawer).

/quote]

Does this mean that the extra I tip my waiter or room steward for service above and beyond goes into the tip pool to be shared by all?

Does this mean that the extra I tip my waiter or room steward for service above and beyond goes into the tip pool to be shared by all?

Not the general tip pool, not so long as you leave the $11 per day service charge intact, that is.

However, frequently the stewards who work a particular area, or lounge, etc, "buddy up" and help each other out. They also might agree to share among themselves whatever additional tips are given them.

That's something they decide on their own. They are free to do with their money whatever they want, IMO, so I don't concern myself with whatever side deals they have.

Archived