Lanyards?

scrapmamma

Turns out it's not the magnet on the phone wallet but the phone itself. My Samsung Note3 is my camera, so I use a neck wallet (with no magnet) for it when on vacation, and I was using a lanyard for my S&S card -- it kept having to be re-programmed -- front desk kept telling me it was carrying it next to my phone; I didn't believe it. Then I moved my card to a clip-on holder worn on my waistband, and sure enough, it stopped losing its programming!

had a couple of people on board golden that had this happen too not sure if they had it near phone though but possible

I am a new cruiser and I think a lanyard is a great idea, I just hope that I am not judged reading many posts that "oh look its a newbie" well we are all newbies at one time or another I sure hope I am not treated like pssst its a newbie they have no clue what they are doing and more like hey they are new lets try and make them feel welcome and give them suggestions of mistakes we made! Just saying!

I am a new cruiser and I think a lanyard is a great idea, I just hope that I am not judged reading many posts that "oh look its a newbie" well we are all newbies at one time or another I sure hope I am not treated like pssst its a newbie they have no clue what they are doing and more like hey they are new lets try and make them feel welcome and give them suggestions of mistakes we made! Just saying!

Not just Newbies use Lanyards.

Last cruise at most sailed event, there were people with 1000s of days, and guess what they were wearing lanyards.

So don't worry.

I on the other hand never use one.

We always use lanyards and have never felt self conscious about it. The convenience of having the card immediately available has always made us use lanyards.

My favorite line from a post in a dress code thread applies here:

As my father used to say, "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

Thanks, however I personally could care less what others think, I just find it funny the comments that people were making about them seems a little harsh! We are really excited and can't wait to go thanks for the feedback!

Thanks, however I personally could care less what others think, I just find it funny the comments that people were making about them seems a little harsh! We are really excited and can't wait to go thanks for the feedback!

So.... Your initial post about being thought of as a newbie was just a gee up.

Go figure.

So.... Your initial post about being thought of as a newbie was just a gee up.

Go figure.

What is a Gee Up? Obviously you are from the UK sounds like something my nephew would say!

And my initial post, was how there are those that seem to make fun of others was my point, I guess I did not make it clear enough, I myself could care less what others would think about me! I have thick enough skin and what is good for some maybe not work for others!

Edited by kfneal

As far as looking like a "newbie" we saw many who wore their S&S on a lanyard, anywhere from blue(1st timers) to platinum on our first cruise on Carnival Magic last month. I was really glad to have mine on a lanyard, it was nice to have it close and not have to worry about it falling from a pocket. I say do what ever you want. It's your vacation after all!!

Thanks for all of the great input! I have decided to wear one....and proudly! [emoji6]. My sweet hubby won't, not his thing, no big deal. I agree with you Gut2407, lots of cruise pics show people wearing them: new cruisers and seasoned cruisers. No worries here, just going to have tons of fun!

Thanks for all of the great input! I have decided to wear one....and proudly! [emoji6]. My sweet hubby won't, not his thing, no big deal. I agree with you Gut2407, lots of cruise pics show people wearing them: new cruisers and seasoned cruisers. No worries here, just going to have tons of fun!

Blue Ruby Gold Silver Black, you see all colour cards on lanyards, me I can't stand them, but to each their own.

• 2 weeks later...

ImageUploadedByForums1451053061.179458.jpg.e1d93139d78939d481fc90bb8e1d0657.jpg

I used this Vera Bradley lanyard wallet (on sale) and it worked great! Even accommodated my ever present blistex and some cash for port shopping. I stuck it under my shirt on excursions and put it in my evening clutch when we went to dinner. I got lots of compliments from other women passengers on the cruise that they thought my lanyard was cute. While at port I also had a cross body Vera Bradley purse (on sale of course) that is a crazy loud pattern, but I never left it anywhere and was easy to find when we stowed things on the bus on an excursion. Fit a lot of small shopping items.ImageUploadedByForums1451053398.624874.jpg.cafcb335a9bc43cb02981981218f7b64.jpg

My husband ended up using his passport lanyard as a man purse because things kept falling out of his shorts pockets. (He likes jersey material shorts.). He wore his cross body when we were on excursions.).

I found I did not even notice what anyone else was doing / wearing / thinking unless I was spoken to. I was having too much fun and relaxation. Re appearance I was most worried about how the humidity made my hair completely frizz out until I gave up and pulled it up in a bun the rest of the trip. A lanyard was the least of my worries!

Wow! Thanks for the input and the great pics Mellowmarshmom! My girls actually picked up a cute Coach lanyard and cross body at our local outlet. Super sweet gifts...on sale as well [emoji106][emoji6] Your VB's are way more color, love it! Thanks again for the input. :-)

[ATTACH]371864[/ATTACH]

I used this Vera Bradley lanyard wallet (on sale) and it worked great! Even accommodated my ever present blistex and some cash for port shopping. I stuck it under my shirt on excursions and put it in my evening clutch when we went to dinner. I got lots of compliments from other women passengers on the cruise that they thought my lanyard was cute. While at port I also had a cross body Vera Bradley purse (on sale of course) that is a crazy loud pattern, but I never left it anywhere and was easy to find when we stowed things on the bus on an excursion. Fit a lot of small shopping items.[ATTACH]371865[/ATTACH]

My husband ended up using his passport lanyard as a man purse because things kept falling out of his shorts pockets. (He likes jersey material shorts.). He wore his cross body when we were on excursions.).

I found I did not even notice what anyone else was doing / wearing / thinking unless I was spoken to. I was having too much fun and relaxation. Re appearance I was most worried about how the humidity made my hair completely frizz out until I gave up and pulled it up in a bun the rest of the trip. A lanyard was the least of my worries!

Running joke with Mr. Reader and Myself.........Not a real vacation until I start complaining about my hair frizzing and then put it up :) Yep good times...lol

Merry Christmas!

Reader

We always use lanyards and have never felt self conscious about it. The convenience of having the card immediately available has always made us use lanyards.

My favorite line from a post in a dress code thread applies here:

As my father used to say, "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

Host Walt, that is definitely a great quote. My mother used it on me when I was a teen thinking the world revolved around me.

I am not a newbie. Maybe compared to many here, not that well traveled, but we just went on our 6th cruise and it's the first time I have used a lanyard. From now on, I will always have one. It was great for convenience sake. My husband didn't really want to have one of his own. However, after the first day off ship at Labadee, he had his S&S card punched to put on my lanyard when we went ashore. Much easier to grab as we went back aboard.

Host Walt, that is definitely a great quote. My mother used it on me when I was a teen thinking the world revolved around me.

I am not a newbie. Maybe compared to many here, not that well traveled, but we just went on our 6th cruise and it's the first time I have used a lanyard. From now on, I will always have one. It was great for convenience sake. My husband didn't really want to have one of his own. However, after the first day off ship at Labadee, he had his S&S card punched to put on my lanyard when we went ashore. Much easier to grab as we went back aboard.

Actually my question is not about the lanyard we have decided we will probably use them at least have that option,

but I want to know what did you do in Labadee, our last stop is there and I know nothing about it and was curious what people are doing there.

Security at the ports want a photo ID to go with your sign and sail card to allow you access back to the ship.

I've never had to present a photo ID at any port I've traveled to or through other than when initially checking in for the cruise [prior to collecting my S&S], even while in Russia. Like many that have responded to this thread I'm far from being a travel newbie.

When going ashore I carry some cash, one relatively low limit credit card (I'm not a shopper), a photo copy of my passports info page (which has my photo on it should a local authority need to see it) and my S&S card. This all neatly fits into a thin credit card sized wallet.

Regardless of where my wife and I go when traveling every garment I would wear while ashore or back aboard my ship always has at least one pocket. Bottom line - I don't need a collar around my neck with a tag(s) hanging from it. I had enough of that while in the military with 'dog tags' which went under my shirt ;). I can't recall seeing a crew member dangling his ID card on a lanyard while ashore and I've gone to some fun pubs with crew members.

A lanyard around your neck [with a recognizable ships S&S card hanging from it] in a cruise ship tourist destination is an invitation to be visited by all sort of local vendors that would love to charge you just a bit more for one of their priceless unmarked trinkets you were looking at.

Sorry folks, but to me a lanyard with your ships S&S hanging from it = amateur :o. It also is not a fashion statement ;).

i think only port they didnt was due to me being on the last tender i dont remember showing it there, they were packing up as we loaded the tender

I'm not sure if the require it in tender ports, but in docked ports in NZ you are usually sharing an industrial port and they usually requie it anywhere ive been.

I'm not sure if the require it in tender ports, but in docked ports in NZ you are usually sharing an industrial port and they usually requie it anywhere ive been.

yes docked was definately id showing places

It has honestly never even occurred to me to pass judgment on another human being based on whether they are wearing a card on a lanyard around their neck. I could care less either way- but it is convenient if you are not carrying a purse with you to go lounge by the pool and for not forgetting your card in the slot machines.