Lanyards?

scrapmamma

All you lanyard-haters should say away from Disney Cruise Lines - they give everyone going on their second DCL cruise and up a free lanyard, and the color indicates your loyalty status (Silver, Gold, Platinum). A good 90% of folks on board are wearing their Key to the World card on their lanyard in a pouch. I hate carrying a purse, so the last thing I want to deal with is a clutch, and a lot of the time I wear sundresses, so no pockets. Of course, I would never wear mine in port for safety sake. Who cares what I look like.

I've heard this same conversation in another thread. You would think the opposite too I guess...

A lanyard may be a sure sign of an experienced cruiser.

It only truly takes one cruise of having to deal with the "non-lanyard" way of life.

Digging, fumbling, losing it. Aye Aye aye!! If I had to ask my hubby to get my card out every time I needed it, I would surely drive him to jump ship.

I like the quote up a few posts....the one about how much other people ARENT thinking about you and what your lanyard means to them...hahaha!!

I loved the lanyard on 2nd cruise

I've just come back from a cruise, my 11th not wearing a lanyard (and proud) People that were wearing lanyards, particularly women, in evening gowns just looked stupid, it ruins your outfit. Never mind if it's sparkly, it looks daft! I'm not a fan as you can tell! Ok during the day I guess, not for me though and definitely not when you're all dressed for dinner! ;)

I've just come back from a cruise, my 11th not wearing a lanyard (and proud) People that were wearing lanyards, particularly women, in evening gowns just looked stupid, it ruins your outfit. Never mind if it's sparkly, it looks daft! I'm not a fan as you can tell! Ok during the day I guess, not for me though and definitely not when you're all dressed for dinner! ;)

No definitley not wearing one when dressed for dinner or in photos. Usually have it on during the day when all I have is a bathing suit and towel or most of my summer clothes don't have pockets

For formal night, my lanyard with my card, is in an evening bag, but during the day, I use a lanyard around my neck. I'm not sure why people think that a "seasoned cruiser" doesn't wear a lanyard. The card on my lanyard reads "Diamond" member. I do what's convenient and works for me. In the next few cruises, two of which are already booked, the card on my lanyard will read D+, so seasoned cruisers do use a lanyard...but I don't find any shame in being mistaken for a first time cruiser. I'm just as excited every time I get on a ship as I was the first time. When it becomes ho-hum, I'll stop cruising. I'm just confident enough not to be bothered by whether I'm impressing anyone else.

For formal night, my lanyard with my card, is in an evening bag, but during the day, I use a lanyard around my neck. I'm not sure why people think that a "seasoned cruiser" doesn't wear a lanyard. The card on my lanyard reads "Diamond" member. I do what's convenient and works for me. In the next few cruises, two of which are already booked, the card on my lanyard will read D+, so seasoned cruisers do use a lanyard...but I don't find any shame in being mistaken for a first time cruiser. I'm just as excited every time I get on a ship as I was the first time. When it becomes ho-hum, I'll stop cruising. I'm just confident enough not to be bothered by whether I'm impressing anyone else.

I agree, I use a lanyard for the same reason you do-convenience. If somebody wants to think I'm a rookie on my first cruise that's okay with me. I'm certainly not going to argue with them because I don't care. I'm by no means the most seasoned cruiser nor even close but I'm enjoying my time on the ship and getting my money's worth and that, at least to me, is what's the important thing.

Tom

The "grab and go" often happens at tourist attractions, when naive travelers take the lanyard out.

Likewise, some folks on CC will suggest carrying wallets, etc. in front pockets or purses with "strong straps." Guess they haven't yet encountered (or heard about) the band of kids with bandaged fingers (which hold razor blades for "slash and drop" (I.e., cut your pocket or purse bottom)).

if they take your lanyard with your ship key etc on it the ship key will be no good to them will it their face won't match the face of that person who is the one cruising ?

if they take your lanyard with your ship key etc on it the ship key will be no good to them will it their face won't match the face of that person who is the one cruising ?

No, it will probably not do any good, but often I've seen people carry other items (driver's license, cash, etc.) on a lanyard.

Tom

A few years of working with power tools and machinery has left me with a strong aversion to having anything dangling loosely around my neck. In a workshop that can cause some very painful accidents and anywhere else it can snag on door handles etc.

My card will live in my wallet or, if needed repeatedly, in my shirt pocket.

Edited by Colin B

A few years of working with power tools and machinery has left me with a strong aversion to having anything dangling loosely around my neck. In a workshop that can cause some very painful accidents and anywhere else it can snag on door handles etc.

My card will live in my wallet or, if needed repeatedly, in my shirt pocket.

yes have heard stories like that too on things getting caught in machinery etc not good can understand why you won't use a lanyard for sure

Nobody on land really wants your ship card. They want the other stuff folks place in a "sleeve/holder" they may have clipped on the lanyard to hold credit card, cash, DL, etc (not unlike a Disneyland pin lanyard).

Lanyard haters should never go on a Sixthman charter cruise. Every gets a lanyard customized to their cruise in the mail before they leave. It also comes with a plastic case to fit your key card and a copy of the concert schedule. Boarding day for The Rock Boat today is even flair themed, encouraging people to load the lanyards up with buttons.

To Laynard or Not To Lanyard...

I am going on my first cruise and Yes, I am getting a laynard. I really don't care if I am branded a newbie for doing so. My question is: the cruise card, is it the same size as a DL? I want to be sure the pouch will be the right size.

I am going on my first cruise and Yes, I am getting a laynard. I really don't care if I am branded a newbie for doing so. My question is: the cruise card, is it the same size as a DL? I want to be sure the pouch will be the right size.

My experience on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Carnival is yes, it's the same size as a DL. We had no card at all on Windstar but with only 148 pax the staff generally know everyone after the first day.

However it may be larger or smaller on lines I haven't sailed.

I'm assuming that DL is driver's license so yes, it is. It's a regular credit-card size.

Hope that you have a great cruise and everything goes like a charm! Two suggestions. If you are flying to your port of embarkation, don't arrive the day you are boarding the ship and always keep your travel docs (e.g. passport, birth cert., etc.) on your person and NEVER put them in a bag (you'd be surprised how many people show up for check-in with their docs still in their suitcase!).

Tom

Thanks for the input! We are booked on the Princess Ruby and we are flying into the destination port. We were unable to arrive a day earlier but booked airfare through Princess to arrive the early morning of...so hoping for the best. :-/ Thanks for the tips, learning a lot here. [emoji106]

I think a Lanyard is a great idea.

We just finished our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas (RCL) and my Mom's and daughter's card would always lose their data and have to be reprogrammed at customer service, it is quite fast, but a pain if you have to do it often.

Of course the culprit is their smartphone cover which has a magnet which allows it to close shut. This is erasing the magnetic strip of the card.

I am scratching my head at RCL for not even thinking of just giving all their guests a lanyard, to prevent this from happening, might be cheaper than to be constantly issuing a new card, and it's added advertisement if the lanyard has RCL logo printed on it.

I was thinking, just punch a hole on the card so that the lanyard can be clipped on the card will be nice enough, this allows you to duck and insert the card to open your stateroom door.

Of course, please stow your lanyard and card key when on a shore excursion, or else you would be effectively wearing a bullseye to those who are after cruisers to bug or offer or sell stuff to!

We don't ditch the lanyard when on shore. You have to hunt it out to get back on the ship. We tuck in on the inside of our shirt, then when we get back to board the ship with bags, packages and are arms full of our great bargains, we can just pull out the card and board with ease. We've had to wait in line too many times with people fumbling, sitting their things down, having to get out of line because they were trying to find their card. Once even hearing what had to be something glass break when the woman was trying to find her card and one of the packages toppled to the ground. :(

Thanks Griffy, that is exactly what I was thinking of when I said 'ditch' it. [emoji6] I wear a laynard for work and ditch it in my top when I'm working with kids (with grabby hands) and then have it handy for doors when needed. [emoji106] Great advice! That scenario would be frustrating...can hardly wait. :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it's not the magnet on the phone wallet but the phone itself. My Samsung Note3 is my camera, so I use a neck wallet (with no magnet) for it when on vacation, and I was using a lanyard for my S&S card -- it kept having to be re-programmed -- front desk kept telling me it was carrying it next to my phone; I didn't believe it. Then I moved my card to a clip-on holder worn on my waistband, and sure enough, it stopped losing its programming!

Edited by crystalspin