Barcelona Weather

n2smilin

Will be cruising on the Jade February 13, 2011 for a 12 day cruise to Rome, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Will I need to take a heavy winter coat or will just a jacket probably be enough?

Thanks for any input.

This was in January in Barcelona:

2009MSCFTS02115-vi.jpg

I would say: have better your winter coat with you...

We are one month ahead of you on this tour.

Regards

HeinBloed

Will be cruising on the Jade February 13, 2011 for a 12 day cruise to Rome, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Will I need to take a heavy winter coat or will just a jacket probably be enough?

Thanks for any input.

We did this same intinerary this winter, starting in BCN in very late Jan. and returning the first week in Feb., so we had the same concerns. We're from the mid-Atlantic, so finally decided that whatever winter outerwear we were wearing over to Europe would be warm enough. Others on here had advised to pack layers and that turned out to be great advice. We each had a thick fleece jacket and a heavy warm hooded sweatshirt to wear underneath if needed; the combination gave us the warmth of a heavy coat but allowed us to remove a layer if the temperature warranted (as it often did; we had days in the 50s F in BCN, the city (along with Rome) that we thought had the potential to be the coldest).

We also had thin fleece long sleeved shirts (also good for layering) along with an assortment of long and short sleeved shirts. We each had gloves, a scarf, and a hat. We did not bring what I'd call our heavy winter coats (parkas). Perhaps we were very lucky with the weather, but we never needed anything that heavy. You should research the average temps in the port cities and make your own call on the "risk" of needing a "heavy winter coat," particularly if you can do the layered thing and think you'll be toasty enough.

You should know that winter is the rainy season in Rome, and be prepared for a very chilly, wet day. We were, we had one, and we all had a blast nonetheless. A good, hooded, preferably breathable rainjacket made a real difference.

In Turkey and Egypt, the temps were in the 60s and 70s and perfect for walking around, and not much colder in Greece.

We came home to two feet of snow, and except for not having boots, we were warm enough getting to our house.

Have a great trip!

Hey Turtles06,

Thanks for the great suggestions about layering clothes for the trip, they were very helpful. Did you book excursions through the ship or did you go out on your own? Our roll call for this cruise is setting up several different groups for various excursions and most are full. We just booked the cruise so we are waiting for others to join to get another group going.

This is our first cruise longer than seven days and we are very excited.

Thanks again for your input.

Hey Turtles06,

Thanks for the great suggestions about layering clothes for the trip, they were very helpful. Did you book excursions through the ship or did you go out on your own? Our roll call for this cruise is setting up several different groups for various excursions and most are full. We just booked the cruise so we are waiting for others to join to get another group going.

This is our first cruise longer than seven days and we are very excited.

Thanks again for your input.

Funny, someone asked a similar question yesterday over on the main NCL board about excursions on this cruise. You can find my reply on that thread, which is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1268382

Bottom line, as I stated there, is that we didn't book a single excursion through NCL. In all of these ports, there are excellent private tour operators. I listed the ones we used. You will be able to find lots of info about them and others if you do a search in the specific Ports of Call areas for those ports. We were able to hook up with folks on our Roll Call; hopefully, you'll be able to do the same as well. IIRC, we booked around this time last year for late January; I am guessing more folks will be joining your Roll Call.

It was also our first cruise that was longer than a week as well. I can't tell you what a great time we had. If you have any other specific questions, pls ask.

We did this same cruise, on these dates, in '09. We travelled across a snowy UK for the plane, in thick tracksuits and anoraks, and needed all of them on the cruise- not in Bcn, which was sunny enough for us to eat outside, near the harbour, wearing the lightest of jackets. Our cold weather was in the Straits of Messina, where both the mainland mountains and Etna were covered in snow- glorious! Stromboli was puffing smoke in the background....

The coldest was on deck at night, and also on the balcony, but as we had the clothes, we wore them and still sat outside!

By the time you reach the south Med, it should be much warmer.

Enjoy!- one of our best trips. :cool:

Jo.

Thanks for the contact information. I have printed a copy of your suggestions and will certainly check them out.

Thanks again for getting back so quickly.

Funny, someone asked a similar question yesterday over on the main NCL board about excursions on this cruise. You can find my reply on that thread, which is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1268382

Bottom line, as I stated there, is that we didn't book a single excursion through NCL. In all of these ports, there are excellent private tour operators. I listed the ones we used. You will be able to find lots of info about them and others if you do a search in the specific Ports of Call areas for those ports. We were able to hook up with folks on our Roll Call; hopefully, you'll be able to do the same as well. IIRC, we booked around this time last year for late January; I am guessing more folks will be joining your Roll Call.

It was also our first cruise that was longer than a week as well. I can't tell you what a great time we had. If you have any other specific questions, pls ask.

Archived