**Build our weekend in Miami...please**

BC Todd

My family (DW, DD-22,DD-25) and I are arriving Saturday at 2:30 pm and leaving on a cruise Monday morning. We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay.

What are the must do things that my girls would enjoy? This is their holiday first and I want to ensure they have the time of their life...

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

The bar/dining room at the DoubleTree next door is very good.

Walk 2 blocks to Bin 18 -- Biscayne and 18th; great bistro, wonderful food, extensive beer and win list.:)

Go to south beach -- check with the hotel on bus schedules or taxi fares depending upon how late you will be out.

Good luck!:)

My family (DW, DD-22,DD-25) and I are arriving Saturday at 2:30 pm and leaving on a cruise Monday morning. We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay.

What are the must do things that my girls would enjoy? This is their holiday first and I want to ensure they have the time of their life...

Dump the Marriott Biscayne Bay and book the Marriott South Beach or Courtyard Marriott South Beach (NOT Miami Beach, there are two).

There is tons of shopping, dining, and attractions in South Beach. There is really not much to do downtown.

Take the girls to Plunge (the rooftop pool bar at The Gansavoort) the first night for the sunset then take them to The Mondrian the second night for the sunset there.

If you can afford it, rent a pool cabana for the day at The Delano. I can promise you will see celebrities there.

Dinner at Sushi Samba just because it is the best sushi on the planet.

Take a cab to Lincoln Road mall. It is an outdoor pedestrian mall with shops and lots of restaurants. You can walk around and look at the menus which most places post outside and pick a place for dinner. Good for people watching.

Dump the Marriott Biscayne Bay and book the Marriott South Beach or Courtyard Marriott South Beach (NOT Miami Beach, there are two).

There is tons of shopping, dining, and attractions in South Beach. There is really not much to do downtown.

Take the girls to Plunge (the rooftop pool bar at The Gansavoort) the first night for the sunset then take them to The Mondrian the second night for the sunset there.

If you can afford it, rent a pool cabana for the day at The Delano. I can promise you will see celebrities there.

Thanks for the great suggestions! We are kinda stuck at Marriott (Priceline $80/night...)

Now about those cabanas at the Delano, any idea what they charge and what services you receive? And, how one would go about reserving one...Again, thanks for your help!:)

Does the Delano let you rent a cabana if you are not a guest there? Same with using the pool/bar at Gansavoort?

Hard to dump the hotel if you booked with priceline.

Does the Delano let you rent a cabana if you are not a guest there? Same with using the pool/bar at Gansavoort?

Hard to dump the hotel if you booked with priceline.

Now about those cabanas at the Delano, any idea what they charge and what services you receive? And, how one would go about reserving one...Again, thanks for your help!:)

Yes, you can rent a cabana at The Delano and depending upon time of year (hotel guests get first dibs) they are anywhere from $200-$400. All that includes is a couple of bottles of water and a fruit tray. The Cabanas go fast so reserve early. The atmosphere is cool and you are almost guaranteed a celebrity sighting. I've been to the pool there hundreds of times and I've never not seen a celebrity.

Yes, you are allowed at The Gansavoort Pool at Plunge (it is basically the entire rooftop as is the pool) after 5PM if you are not a guest of the hotel.

Agreed re: South Beach. Maybe the parents can stay at the Marriott and the girls can spend a night at a hotel in Sobe. Lincoln Road pedestrian mall and the central party south beach area are within walking distance of each other and hundreds of ppl are out walking it all day and night. As far as the Delano goes, it's gorgeous and a quick phone call or email to the hotel can answer all your questions. If you go for a drink (or even dinner) around 4pm at the extreme south end of south beach at Smith and Wollensky, you can watch the cruise ships glide past almost within touching distance as they leave Government Cut on out to sea. Your hotel is close to the causeway out to South beach so it wont be a really expensive taxi ride - $20 or so I'd guess. You are also pretty close by cab, a mile or so, to Bayside Place which has a marina, shops, restaurants, etc, and can offer the parents a pleasant evening out.

I've never understood buying a souvenier of a place if you haven't actually explored it.

Skip Bayside.

Take a cab to South Beach. Walk around on Collins. Go to Epicure and buy food for a picnic on the beach.

Go to Lincoln Rd. Lots of shops, cafes and places to hear live music. Walk around and people watch.

I've never understood buying a souvenier of a place if you haven't actually explored it. quote]

I think by that reasoning, you believe people should buy nothing in cruise ports. Or is there a specific timeframe you have in mind that qualifies? Does that mean airport stores are off limits too...but what if the item is REALLY cool and would look so great on that table beside that other really cool thing you apparently bought on ebay from Estonia which youve never actually been to and cant actually remember buying but you were drunk at the time and the number of ppl who comment on it! I've lived in my current area for 6 years and don't feel I've explored it, (but I've bought some stuff...my bad). How long before it is ok to buy a souvenir?

Bayside is right down the street from the OP's hotel - go, have fun, have a drink, stroll by the water, buy something cool if it strikes your fancy. Throw caution, (and time rules) to the wind! Miami is a great city, you'll have a blast :)

I've never understood buying a souvenier of a place if you haven't actually explored it. quote]

I think by that reasoning, you believe people should buy nothing in cruise ports.

Pretty much.

Certainly, if you love an item, buy it and enjoy it. But what exactly is the point of purchasing a Bienvenidos A Miami T-shirt? Typically they shrink and honestly, who wears it? The only thing more baffling to me is buying a souvenier T-shirt for someone back home, who's never been to the location!

I've found that cruise ports are notorious for ripping folks off. Liquor that's not a bargain, jewelry that's flawed or just junk, the aforementioned cheap T-shirts that will disintegrate with the first wash. Duty free doesn't necessarily mean less expensive than at home, and most people lose their minds and stock up on crap they don't want, or buy presents for people who will re-gift them later.

My mother bought me a scarf from one of her cruises. It's not a beautiful scarf made by an artisan, it's the same scarf ship employees wear. Where exactly would that be a fashion accessory I'd want to sport? Now, if she wanted to bring me back an Hermes from France...different story.

I'd rather spend the money on an experience, an excursion, or a meal in a wonderful little restaurant in port.

It's all about your attitude and what you want to take away from your travels. Personally, I try not to do things that I could do at home. I try not to buy things I wouldn't buy at home, if they offered them there. I try not to eat in places I can eat anywhere.

Bayside could be anywhere. And Bubba Gumps, it's a chain restaurant, they have them all over the country.

Try a local place. Perricones is lovely and a short cab ride away.

Have your girls (or you) seen the everglades yet? You should have time to either drive out to one of the places that offer airboat tours if you are renting a car, or book one that picks up from your hotel. Do it, it's entertaining and worth seeing.

Archived