Blogging from the Navigator in Alaska - 9/8 Cruise

colomom

Just a note to let you all know that I am blogging on my Shutterfly site (see my signature for the link).

We are having a wonderful time so far, the weather has been amazing!

I love this ship, her awesome crew and her friendly, happy passengers.

I am hooked!

:D

I am sitting in the Anchorage airport after leaving the Navigator in Seward this morning. The train ride was rather dull since we had fog for most of the time. I saw one moose, actually it was the rear end of a moose as it disappeared into the fog. I am heading home feeling very happy to have had such a wonderful time and after meeting MANY wonderful people. I will be posting pictures and my "black list" with the names of all my favorite staff....I warned them. Actually they made jokes about my little book but were very pleased when I wrote down their names.

Regent was a fantastic experience and it lived up to my expectations and exceeded them and with all the research I did, my expectations were high! I will post a review very soon and pictures as soon as I have a chance to pick the best of about 1000 pictures.

I will miss you Navigator...I will miss you La Veranda...I will miss being served as I change hats and become the server at my house. My hubby said he had never seen me so relaxed....

Regent was a fantastic experience and it lived up to my expectations and exceeded them and with all the research I did, my expectations were high! I will post a review very soon and pictures as soon as I have a chance to pick the best of about 1000 pictures.

I will miss you Navigator...I will miss you La Veranda...I will miss being served as I change hats and become the server at my house. My hubby said he had never seen me so relaxed....

I have followed your blog and loved every word. Your enthusiasm for a wonderful destination in a great ship makes it all very readable. Thanks.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I was one of those people who said there was no way you would see the Northern Lights, but I have never been to Alaska this late in the season. It actually gets dark, significantly dark now, so yes, it is possible.

colomom, So glad you enjoyed your first Regent cruise. I hope you wrote some of those favorite crew members names on your evaluation. That really does help them onboard ship.

Looking forward to reading your review.

I definitely did NCCruzQueen, in fact, I told them I was collecting names because I was filling out my evaluation form. I could tell that this was an important part of their employment evaluation.

Cruise photos are posted here:

http://alaskacruise2010.shutterfly.com/160

Let me know what you think...

Comments are open for all...

Such wonderful pictures. I was reliving our trip. The sunsets, food shots (love food shots) . . . . . everything was so great! The waters around Hubbard Glacier was very different than it was in May. There was a lot of ice on the water back then. Hubbard Glacier is one of the most spectacular places on earth! Thank you for taking the time to share these with us:)

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed the blog and pictures!

TC2: I love food shots too!

CT10: The vests were marked down from $70.00 to $8.75, running joke was seeing others wearing them and saying, "hey, nice vest". Sold like hotcakes on this cruise too. I saw the dancers onboard with the long sleeved version, I am sorry I missed those. I bought 4 of the vests for family, they love them!

RachelG: The Northern Lights were an amazing blessing. Even Terry Breen said we only had a minuscule chance of seeing them. We were so lucky. In fact....if anyone out there who was on our cruise was actually able to capture them on their cameras...please contact me via my blog, it's the only thing, and such an important thing, that I am missing...thanks!

OrpingtonT: I was actually approached by a very nice "lurker" who said the same thing about my enthusiasm and how it influenced him. I am so glad I could convey that to the readers.

I forgot to ask if you enjoyed ziplining. We thought they did a great job and was really happy with that excursion:)

That was my favorite excursion TC2! The guides were so much fun and extremely careful with all of us. We felt very safe and secure. I HIGHLY recommend this excursion.

Note: You do need to be in pretty good shape however...we hiked up some fairly steep and slippery terrain. My knees hurt for days after...

I forgot to mention one of the funny parts of this excursion. If you follow this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1233846

you will read about a cruiser's attempt to locate one of the guides, Jeremy.

When we were introduced to the guides I told him that I had read about this cruiser's attempts to find him. He was slightly embarrassed and the other guides gave him quite the "ribbing" mentioning that they knew who this girl was and that Jeremy missed his "opportunity". Everyone had a good laugh and teased him for the rest of the day. He was very good natured about the whole thing.

This is Jeremy:

Jeremy.jpg

That was a great story -- thanks:D Hope she gets in touch with Jeremy (quite a cutie). The hiking was a bit challenging at times, but, we found the ziplining equipment the best we have seen (also ziplined in Costa Rica and in the Caribbean). The ziplining and crab feast were our favorite excursions.

Such wonderful pictures. I was reliving our trip. The sunsets, food shots (love food shots) . . . . . everything was so great! The waters around Hubbard Glacier was very different than it was in May. There was a lot of ice on the water back then. Hubbard Glacier is one of the most spectacular places on earth! Thank you for taking the time to share these with us:)

Noticed that you went in May to Alaska. We are going in May 2011, and having seen the wonderful pictures from Colomom we can't wait! How different was your experience in May? There were not many animals photographed in September - were there more to be seen in May? What sort of temperatures did you experience? (With a view to knowing what to pack!! I note your favourite excursions - which others would you recommend? We are young at heart but not so young in years!!! Thanks

Noticed that you went in May to Alaska. We are going in May 2011, and having seen the wonderful pictures from Colomom we can't wait! How different was your experience in May? There were not many animals photographed in September - were there more to be seen in May? What sort of temperatures did you experience? (With a view to knowing what to pack!! I note your favourite excursions - which others would you recommend? We are young at heart but not so young in years!!! Thanks

There were also not many animals in May. . . but the weather on both of our May S. F. to Alaska sailings was wonderful. Layering works great in May. . . just make sure you pack something in case of warm weather. In 2008 it was close 85 degrees in Juneau and this year it was in the mid 70's (sorry, don't know how to convert that to Celsius:-)

I tell everyone to plan to purchase an Alaska jacket or vest. They are so reasonable (in Juneau and Ketchikan) and will keep you warm! If you plan to purchase it in advance, it might be one less thing you have to pack on the way out.

Will have to think about the other excursions that we liked. Almost all of them were great and the one that wasn't is not on next year's itinerary (Valdez). We did enjoy the rafting trip (not white water rapids -- almost too calm). As I recall, it takes you by the Mendenhall Glacier.

I should also let you know that those people on our cruise who chose the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest saw more wildlife then we did on the entire cruise. I believe they said they saw many otter, eagles, a mother bear with cub and whales! They raved about the abundance of wildlife. I think it is another one of those things that depends on Mother Nature's whims and being in the right place at the right time. Terry Breen said the Harbor Seals we saw were usually long gone by September. Also, people who took specific wildlife viewing excursions saw more than those viewing from the ship.

Thank you, that sounds as though it is the trip for us! We were really looking forward to seeing some of the wildlife, and quite disappointed not to see any amongst your wonderful pictures (part from the whales!) As you say, the weather has changed so much that it would be hard to forecast anyway. Dee

Thanks, that sounds very good advice about what to take! The Alaska jacket/vest idea sounds a good one too - and I had planned to buy before going, so will wait now. Hope we get some of the hot spells too - it must be wonderful to see the sun on the ice, and the bright blue skies! Dee

Archived