New Menu for Mariners Brunch

sail7seas

Since I am a Mariner but my cabinmate is not, will I have to attend by myself or is a cabinmate automatically included?

nobody checks so feel free to bring your friend.

I won't go again. The last time there were more Mariners than seats so we just took our tile and left. It's a lot of nothing for a cheap glass of wine.

Might be a good time to do the laundry.:D

once again much ado about nothing... the whole HAL rewards thing is pretty underwhelming to say the least.....

So true when compared to other lines such as Princess and RCI. But at least HA has made some improvements and we can hope this is the begining of a new trend. On the other hand, with many HA regulars oohing and ahing over silly pins, badges, and a free lunch (thought all the meals were free anyway) why should they change :)

Hank

I know what you mean -- even though we do like to eat early -- 11 AM brunch is way too early.

I agree. 11 a.m. is way to early to eat short ribs, etc. On a cruise, some days at 11 a.m. I'm still nursing my first cup of coffee. A "Mariners" cocktail reception with hors d'oeuvres would be more welcome.

We went to our first Mariners lunch several years ago and haven't been back since. Somehow the tiles, which I really do like, seem to get delivered to our cabin anyway, whether we go to the lunch or not.

I'm very happy about the brunch changes. :) I did not feel well at two brunches, so I have been having problems (mentally) separating the brunches, from how I felt on those two occasions. I know many cruisers have complained about receiving "one glass of wine", but my experience has been, while I was sipping ice water, that the wine/champagne was "flowing". I agree about the 11 AM time; we always try to eat an earlier (and lighter) breakfast, but we are never hungry enough to enjoy the food at the brunch. I look forward to the new menu on our upcoming cruises!

Can you explain this--is there something formal that happens at this lunch?:confused:

We have been on quite a few HAL cruises and when this new program for the Mariner's program began in 2006 -- it was very nice. We were all assigned tables according to how many days we have sailed on HAL. There would either be a party beforehand in the Explorer's Lounge awarding those who had achieved the next level or it was held in the dining room where everyone got to enjoy seeing the awards given out. That had disappeared on the cruises we have taken.

There are tables reserved for the various levels -- but on our cruises -- we have had people sitting at our assigned table who were no where close to our 500+ days. We had people sitting there with just a few days. The worst was when we had a woman on her first HAL cruise who did nothing but bash HAL the entire time. Yes -- people who have cruised on Carnival and Princess, etc., are invited to the Mariner's brunch as long as they have cruised on one of Carnival Corporation cruise lines at least once.

So for us -- this is no longer a special recognition brunch.

But the last couple of years we have been

Oh -- I also forgot to mention that on our recent cruises the Captain, Hotel Manager -- no one special even sat at any of the tables -- they just stopped in -- welcomed everyone to the brunch and left -- no mention of HAL or what has been happening or going to happen in the future.

I agree. 11 a.m. is way to early to eat short ribs, etc. On a cruise, some days at 11 a.m. I'm still nursing my first cup of coffee. A "Mariners" cocktail reception with hors d'oeuvres would be more welcome.

We went to our first Mariners lunch several years ago and haven't been back since. Somehow the tiles, which I really do like, seem to get delivered to our cabin anyway, whether we go to the lunch or not.

Years ago the Mariner Party was really a cocktail party -- held the last formal night -- everyone went to the show lounge -- everyone got to see who all got which medals -- your choice of cocktail and delicious mixed nuts!! It was right after dinner -- and then you stayed for the show if you wanted to.

Thank you for posting the new menu, sail. It sounds good enough to tempt me back to the luncheon.

Now, if it can only be served at a more respectable hour! I don't usually eat lunch until closer to 2:00! I'd even be willing to go at 12:30, but not breakfast time. :eek:

thanks for the posting Sail ... DW says she is looking forward to the short ribs. We both liked the salmon they offered before .. it was tasty, less fattening, and went well with the wine. The only problem was that when I payed bridge that afternoon, I became a bit wild in my bidding ... must lay off the wine I suppose.

harry

We have been on quite a few HAL cruises and when this new program for the Mariner's program began in 2006 -- it was very nice. We were all assigned tables according to how many days we have sailed on HAL. There would either be a party beforehand in the Explorer's Lounge awarding those who had achieved the next level or it was held in the dining room where everyone got to enjoy seeing the awards given out. That had disappeared on the cruises we have taken.

There are tables reserved for the various levels -- but on our cruises -- we have had people sitting at our assigned table who were no where close to our 500+ days. We had people sitting there with just a few days. The worst was when we had a woman on her first HAL cruise who did nothing but bash HAL the entire time. Yes -- people who have cruised on Carnival and Princess, etc., are invited to the Mariner's brunch as long as they have cruised on one of Carnival Corporation cruise lines at least once.

So for us -- this is no longer a special recognition brunch.

But the last couple of years we have been

Oh -- I also forgot to mention that on our recent cruises the Captain, Hotel Manager -- no one special even sat at any of the tables -- they just stopped in -- welcomed everyone to the brunch and left -- no mention of HAL or what has been happening or going to happen in the future.

Thanks for the explanation. I can understand why it is no longer special. But isn't a sit-down lunch in the MDR better than the zoo in the buffet?

Some times there are hosted tables and some times not. On some cruises, we have had Mariners Lunch with Captain or Hotel Manager and on a few cruises with both at our table. That was certainly a treat. Many Lunches there are no hosted tables.

We like whatever Mariners Reception they offer and we always participate to one degree or another. We never totally miss whatever they have planned for Mariners.

For those of us who have been with HAL long enough to earn Gold and Platinum Medallions, we ask the indulgence of those who think them silly. Perhaps when you are on the verge of having sailed 500 or 700 days with HAL, you might think it worthy of note. We do. Please respect our happiness at recognition for all the many ships, many cruises we have sailed as we wish you the same good fortune.

We were once newcomers and we watched others be mentioned for having sailed such fantastic number of days and now it is our turn. Let us enjoy it.......... please. :) It takes but a few minutes of anyone's time.

Since I am a Mariner but my cabinmate is not, will I have to attend by myself or is a cabinmate automatically included?

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

When I cruised with my grandgirl last May she had her own invitation (she was a Mariner on her own), but was not included with mine. Since I had an assigned table that was awkward. Since she was on my booking number I thought she should have been included with me, as would have been done for a couple.

Thank you for posting the new menu, sail. It sounds good enough to tempt me back to the luncheon.

Now, if it can only be served at a more respectable hour! I don't usually eat lunch until closer to 2:00! I'd even be willing to go at 12:30, but not breakfast time. :eek:

thanks for the posting Sail ... DW says she is looking forward to the short ribs. We both liked the salmon they offered before .. it was tasty, less fattening, and went well with the wine. The only problem was that when I payed bridge that afternoon, I became a bit wild in my bidding ... must lay off the wine I suppose.

harry

You're very welcome, everyone. When I realized it was a new menu, I asked the steward if I could take a copy and he said certainly. :)

DH said the short ribs were very good. He enjoyed them. I had the fish, of course. :)

On our recent Maasdam cruises, we found they are serving a new menu at Mariners Brunch.

A few folks asked about it so here it is:

Appetizer

Warm Salmon, Spinach and Romaine Lettuce Salad - with chickpeas and tomato, drizzled with orange-olive oil dressing

Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet

Entrees

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves - Slowly cooked in a rich gravy, served over classic mashed potato and baby corrots with chives

or

Butter Basted Pacific Sole Fillet with Leeks - With a timbale of golden yellow rice and roasted basil flavored cherry tomatoes

or

Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche - Served with orzo pasta sauteed spinach and grilled tomato

Dessert

Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart - A sweet and tart filling baked in a flaky pastry tartlet, topped with a dollop of whipped cream

Petits Fours, Coffee, Tea

I knew it had changed, just hadn't seen to what. Looks great!

I knew it had changed, just hadn't seen to what. Looks great!

We heard generally positive comments at lunch. Most people seemed to enjoy it as well as the wine(s) they were pouring :). It was a nice lunch.

Marier brunch is from 12-1:30. What time does HAL let you board the ship and how busy is it boarding at that time from FLL

We are talking about two different things.

What you reference is Mariners Embarkation Lunch that is available upon boarding on the first day of our cruises.

What this thread is about is the Mariners Brunch held on a sea day during all HAL cruises and all HAL Mariners are invited. Two different lunches held on two different days.

For this Brunch, you will receive an invitation in your cabin stating date and time.

[Genreally, embarkation in FLL begins at about 11:15 ...... give or take a few minutes.]

It is always a sea day and because of that, exactly which day it will be, varies by cruise itinerary. There is a Mariners Brunch on every HAL cruise. Some cruises have so many Mariners aboard, they sometimes have to break it into two groups and might have Brunch on two different days or have two seatings in one day if there is only one sea day. (Our Canada/New England Itinerary has 6 ports in 7 days so all activities have to be done on the one sea day.)

Sole??

For the last few years it hasn't been offered on a regular menu -- that is great that HAL has brought that back.

Really not certain if the new menu will tempt us to go to the Mariner's brunch -- not after what we have experienced.

Many years ago HAL actually served the 'real' Dover Sole...also known as 'common' sole or Solea solea...which is imported from Europe and expensive. U likely remember it!

What has been served since that time until they did away with it and have now brought back, is what the Americans/Canadians call Dover Sole, is Microstomus Pacificus from the NorthEast Pacific region and is a lot cheaper..Both types are flatfish (flounder)..

I and I'll bet u also, wld prefer the tastier Solea solea but most folks wouldn't know the difference..:)

So many things aren't what they used to be on cruises including 'moi' - mores the pity :) and I so agree with u regarding the mariners brunch!! :(

HAL - please bring back the cocktail party - much more enjoyable IMO also, if for no other reason than u were free to move around and meet lots of folks..At a luncheon u can only converse with those u sit with..

Have happy cruisin'! :)

Archived