Oceania's Policy/Pricing For Single Travelers

bruinbob95

My wife and I want to take my mother on an Oceania cruise to Alaska. It appears that Oceania offers virtually no discount for single travelers. A $4,000 room will cost us $8,000 for one person. If anyone has advice or experience on this topic, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

My daughter is going with us as a single on the new Marina and I was told there is no discount there either. I could understand that since we will be sailing on the Inaugural sailing in the US, but didn't know that was their policy on other ships and sailings. Makes you want to try other cruise lines, huh?

We were very lucky about 6 years ago when we took my mother on a cruise with us. She was booked in a low-level cabin but this particular sailing had not sold very well so shortly before we left there was a one-day "upgrade" sale. She ended up in an A1 for the price of an E or F.

But at the time I think the regular single supplement was 175% of the fare.

Makes you want to try other cruise lines, huh?

Sorry, that won't work either. I'm taking a west Africa cruise in late October on Princess (would MUCH rather do it on Nautica but every category is waitlisted, not to mention 3 times the price) and am paying a 100% single supplement. Before I booked, I asked Princess if they would discount the single supplement -- I don't eat anywhere near what the average Princess passenger eats in a day, let alone 2 of them -- but they would not budge.

I don't eat anywhere near what the average Princess passenger eats in a day, let alone 2 of them -- but they would not budge.

Lets face it, the single suppliment has nothing to do with food that you are or are not eating.

They impose it because the typical single just does not spend onboard the way that a couple would and for that reason, the cruise line would rather have two people in that room.

So, if you really want the suppliments to decrease, or to go away, the next time that you singles are onboard, simply live it up! ;)

My wife and I want to take my mother on an Oceania cruise to Alaska. It appears that Oceania offers virtually no discount for single travelers. A $4,000 room will cost us $8,000 for one person. If anyone has advice or experience on this topic, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Why don't you sail with Mom as the third person in your room? I believe that her fare would then be 75% of yours.

Ocassionally, there are good deals for single travelers. I went to the Amazon last year on O for 25% over the regular fare. Doesn't happen often, but it does pop up from time to time. I also have my TA constantly check when I place a deposit on a trip. I don't expect to get a deal on the Marina next year, but grateful I can afford to go so I choose to sail O every other year and as JimandStan said, I "live it up" in a upgraded cabin.

I can't recall which cruiseline is coming out with a singles cabin, but I would imagine the cabin will be very small with a twin bed, etc.

And their Prinsendam actually has one single person cabin on it's lowest cabin deck which I don't think incurs any supplement.

And well it shouldn't! You get what you pay for. it is a shame that the

cruise lines feel the pinch when only one occupies a cabin and therefore charge

the high single supplements.

It seems to me that there was a thread on this subject some time back and FDR took the time to weigh in on the subject. I believe that his response boiled down to Oceania pricing is based upon the sale of cabins.

So, if Oceania can sell all their cabins based upon double occupancy, then there is no financial incentive for them to sell a cabin at what is essentially for them half price, 3/4 price or anything less than the double occupancy rate. While it is true that one person does not eat as much as two, the difference is rather negligible in the scheme of things.

It seems to me that there was a thread on this subject some time back and FDR took the time to weigh in on the subject. I believe that his response boiled down to Oceania pricing is based upon the sale of cabins.

So, if Oceania can sell all their cabins based upon double occupancy, then there is no financial incentive for them to sell a cabin at what is essentially for them half price, 3/4 price or anything less than the double occupancy rate. While it is true that one person does not eat as much as two, the difference is rather negligible in the scheme of things.

Totaly understood. I believe when I made my deposit for the Amazon a year ahead, cabins weren't selling as they expected. The 125% offer lasted a very short time. There was one empty inside cabin on that cruise when we sailed. I don't eat three times a day anywhere I go so...they still made money on me LOL.

The single supplement charged by Oceania is one of the highest in the cruise industry, and it is indeed non-negotiable. I have paid a lower single supplement on Regent. Oceania's single supplement charge may be the primary reason that I will likely not be cruising with them again after my upcoming 3 BTB cruises (totaling 2 1/2 months on board!)-and if anything should have been negotiable, it should have been a single supplement for 3 BTB cruises, unless I can convince myself to book an inside cabin, which is unlikely. Once I upgraded from oceanview to a balcony on another line many years ago, there's no going back. To be completely fair, there are the rare, occasional sailings where Oceania and other lines do have reduced single supplement charges, but never on the cruises (or the lines) I want, and they are often offered at the last minute. I prefer to have my own cabin and until I find a friend or family member that is in mutual agreement about cruising and cruise activities, it is likely I will continue to cruise alone(if I indeed continue to cruise; I miss the extensive in-depth land based travel). There are smaller specialty companies and a few river cruise lines that do offer single cabins, without an outrageous markup.

The bottom line, as was previously said: so long as Oceania (and the other lines) can fill up their ships, and people pay the single supplement, it will not change its policy. As a single traveler, though, Oceania is sinking out of my economic grasp.

The single supplement charged by Oceania is one of the highest in the cruise industry

No so anymore

You may want to have a look at Princess, Celebrity & HAL they are also charging the 200% ss now.

Several lines have up'ed the SS rates recently so O is not the only one charging higher rates

Even though I've had a built-in roommate in my husband for many years, I'm sympathetic to the single cruisers' problem with the supplement because he's getting cranky about traveling and *I* don't want to stop! When I checked with friends to see if they wanted to join me, no one could afford it ... so I for one would love to see a better policy (from the consumer's standpoint) if only for selfish reasons.

"and if anything should have been negotiable, it should have been a single supplement for 3 BTB cruises"

I certainly agree with you and it would be nice if Oceania gave you a discount however slight. Have you thought about writing and/or having your TA contact Corporate since I can only imagine what you are paying for:eek:. Like you, I prefer the A cabin and it is worth it. The Marina TA wasn't too bad, same price for a business class ticket home. AT least that is how I am justifying it.:D

Even though I've had a built-in roommate in my husband for many years, I'm sympathetic to the single cruisers' problem with the supplement because he's getting cranky about traveling and *I* don't want to stop! When I checked with friends to see if they wanted to join me, no one could afford it ... so I for one would love to see a better policy (from the consumer's standpoint) if only for selfish reasons.

I had one too until he was taken away due to melanoma at 52 exactly 7 years today. Enjoy your built in roommate no matter how cranky he gets:).

Several lines have up'ed the SS rates recently so O is not the only one charging higher rates
And I just received an e-mail from Azamara announcing a single occupancy rate of only 125% on their upcoming President's Cruise next month! Now what does that tell ya? ;);)

And I just received an e-mail from Azamara announcing a single occupancy rate of only 125% on their upcoming President's Cruise next month! Now what does that tell ya? ;);)

That they are not selling out their cruises :confused::confused:

I have paid a lower single supplement on Regent. Oceania's single supplement charge may be the primary reason that I will likely not be cruising with them again after my upcoming 3 BTB cruises (totaling 2 1/2 months on board!)-and if anything should have been negotiable, it should have been a single supplement for 3 BTB cruises,

Everyone has a choice on how & where they spend their money

You must feel Oceania is worth giving them yours.;)

Lyn

Why don't you sail with Mom as the third person in your room? I believe that her fare would then be 75% of yours.

Jim and Stan,

That's a good suggestion, but she doesn't seem too interested in sharing a room, unless it's a pretty big room. I'll look into that, but we typically book the smallest inside cabin so that we can cruise more often. It's worth checking out though.

Thanks to you and all the others that have responded to this thread. Oceania patrons rule!

A number of years ago we were contemplating taking my Mom on a cruise and we wondered if the Owners' Suite would be a way to go. We were advised that it wasn't because while there technically IS room, even with 1000 sf it's still not comfortable for three people (especially when one of them is MY mother).

There is a pull-out sofa in the living room and a second bathroom (but only a half bath so no shower) and now that we have traveled in the OS (only once however, more's the pity) I agree that for most people it's not a good answer if you are more than a couple.

When we did take Mom on a cruise, we had separate cabins. But as I've said earlier, we lucked out with a one-day upgrade sale that got her from an "E" to an A. That won't happen unless your particular cruise doesn't sell well and that rarely happens these days, I think.

Mura

• 4 months later...

I think paying 200% is an oddity in the industry now, and being changed day by day. Celebrity and RC, and SeaDream are problably the only doing it now. Other have been changing the fixed one for a flexible one. If the ship is almost sold out 200% if not starting from 10, 20, 30, 50 or even 75, 80%. That´s the most pragmatical way to do things.

Should Oceania doesn´t accept this changing thing, others will offer it.

Archived