Top 40 Captain's Circle lunch vs. cocktail party?

Astro Flyer

I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting. We have been invited to the most traveled luncheons since before we even became Elite (we had enough days, just not enough cruises to make Elite status before they changed the rules to either days or number of cruises) but we always ranked in the top 40 most traveled onboard for many years now. I have to tell you, out of all the cruises, only once did we have a cocktail party, all the rest were luncheons. Even on our short 7 day Emerald Princess cruise to the Caribbean in May, they had a luncheon. So, it must have been the itineary of your Alaska cruise that made the difference. No worrys, you will make the luncheon one of these days, and it's well worth the wait. ;)

Toto, just a "guestimate" how many Elite pax will you find on the 10 day Tahiti cruise??? Just wondering.....:confused:

Only 40 people are invited, so it is the same number at either the lunch or the cocktail party.

(Does not matter how many elite are on board. Actually, on some voyages the 40 most traveled passengers may include some below the elite level.)

Are you saying there are special guests, suites, etc. that will be included as well as some Elite? Does it depend on your cabin level? I'll probably never get there but it certainly intriques me! I'd like to go once just to see what's so special.:):):)

Are you saying there are special guests, suites, etc. that will be included as well as some Elite? Does it depend on your cabin level? I'll probably never get there but it certainly intriques me! I'd like to go once just to see what's so special.:):):)

I think that Caribill is saying that if there are less than 40 Elites onboard, some Platinums will be invited. They invite the 40 with the most nights on Princess cruiss.

Many times, when still platinum, we were invited to the luncheon (before they changed to days or cruises). As it is based totally on the number of days sailed and not the status. We were never invited because of the category stateroom we booked in the past.

I got a wonderful surprise on our recent Greek Isles cruise on the Ocean-an invitation to a Top 40 Lunch. It was at Sabatinis, the food was plentiful and marvelous (a filet cooked to perfection, lots of good wine and tartufo for dessert!) and the company great. Each person got a lovely photo of them with their tablemates.

I had only 11 cruises and 99 days at that time. In speaking with the future Cruise Consultant/Captains Circle host (it is the same person on the Ocean) I found out that I was the last person who qualified for the invitation!! I am spoiled-usually I am on bigger ships and I have a feeling that it will be a long time before I get another invitation like this!!

I agree with this. The cocktail party is always after our dinner and crowded with people who eat later. The one time we went, there was no place to sit down. We've found the lunch to be just what we like.

are you sure you dont mean the regular captain's circle cocktail party? i have never seen a problem sitting down at the most traveled-there is usually quite a bit of unused space and it is still just the top 40 passengers.

i like both, i tend to prefer the cocktail parties because they aren't as long and it is usually a nice place for aperitifs before dinner. i end up meeting more people at those. i have also been to several lunches which are really nice but takes a lot out of my day since i'm usually sunning myself and relaxing during the day-i like those only when it's cold out :)

as mentioned before, it is up to the captain's preference as to which one you will get although on port intensive cruises they tend to be the cocktail parties.

We attended the cocktail party in SkyWalkers. Plenty of food and drink. We were invited because some folks declined their invitations and we were

next in line. The staff were very sociable. Maybe we will get lucky again on our next cruise.:)

Originally I liked the cocktail parties, but I went to several in the Officers wardroom on the Dawn Princess (that was a great space) Now I think I prefer the brunch/luncheon. All of the officers I've been seated with have been great to talk to, like anybody you just have to ask the right questions about something they are interested in.

Last cruise on the Royal I was seated with the ships doctor who had some great stories. A very nice fellow, and was very glad as he was treating a dinner tablemate for most of the cruise. Very glad she was in good hands while on board.

I got a wonderful surprise on our recent Greek Isles cruise on the Ocean-an invitation to a Top 40 Lunch. It was at Sabatinis, the food was plentiful and marvelous (a filet cooked to perfection, lots of good wine and tartufo for dessert!) and the company great. Each person got a lovely photo of them with their tablemates.

I had only 11 cruises and 99 days at that time. In speaking with the future Cruise Consultant/Captains Circle host (it is the same person on the Ocean) I found out that I was the last person who qualified for the invitation!! I am spoiled-usually I am on bigger ships and I have a feeling that it will be a long time before I get another invitation like this!!

It is not just the size of the ship, but the itinerary that influences where the cutoff is. We have 275 days and were on the Ocean in the Spring from Cape Town to Dover and did not make the list.

Many times, when still platinum, we were invited to the luncheon (before they changed to days or cruises). As it is based totally on the number of days sailed and not the status. We were never invited because of the category stateroom we booked in the past.

The invitation I received said "and guest" which could double the number from the top 40.

The invitation I received said "and guest" which could double the number from the top 40.

It is still usually limited to 40 people. They just include the "guest" in the total invited.

The number would not double in any event because in most cases both people in a cabin would qualify.

It is still usually limited to 40 people. They just include the "guest" in the total invited.

The number would not double in any event because in most cases both people in a cabin would qualify.

Thanks...having attended only once I wasn't aware of that fact.

Do you agree with another post that if someone in the top 40 declines then they offer it to the next person on the priority list?

Also, it is always RSVP for the luncheon as there are place cards where each sits. After receiving the invite you are to call to accept or decline the invite as they totally fill the designated tables, they don't like empty seats.

Yes, if you are traveling solo or are the only one invited from your stateroom then you are allowed to bring a guest (this is not offered if you are traveling as a couple though and both are invited, I don't think, at least it has never been so with us). I sat at a table on the Pacific next to a first time cruiser who was a guest last fall (which didn't make for too lively of a converstation about cruising and ships at lunch). lol

So, since most are couples, it doesn't double the passenger numbers for the luncheon at all.

Hi All

Have come across a couple who always get invited, but do not go, what got me was they did not tell Princess they would not be going, as we do not have enough days to get an invite do you have to confirm to Princess that you are attending

yours shogun

Hi All

Have come across a couple who always get invited, but do not go, what got me was they did not tell Princess they would not be going, as we do not have enough days to get an invite do you have to confirm to Princess that you are attending

yours shogun

Yes, they have to have confirmation for the luncheon especially, as names are at each place at the table. Totally assigned seating as to days sailed. Top passengers sit at the captain's table and the rank goes down the list. Highest traveled passengers sit with the highest ranking.

Unless you would like to take their place, give the incorrect name to be introduced, and sit at a table where everyone is calling you by the other passengers name, not a great idea. And also not really fair if that is what you are thinking (just guessing by the way your post is worded), as when a couple doesn't RSVP or declines, they take the next in line that earned it to take their places.

BTW-We have found that when we don't RSVP, the Captain's Circle rep will call our cabin to ask for it. ;)

Unless you would like to take their place, give the incorrect name to be introduced, and sit at a table where everyone is calling you by the other passengers name, not a great idea. And also not really fair if that is what you are thinking (just guessing by the way your post is worded), as when a couple doesn't RSVP or declines, they take the next in line that earned it to take their places.

I have heard it all now. Are people really desperate enough to go to a luncheon to resort to that?

Mike:)

Yes. We once made the event when another couple above us on the list declined.

Say thank you (*>) , we now decline the luncheon after attending several as we both have food allergies and much prefer the cocktail party..........we feel that since we both really don't care for the luncheons (altho it is a great honor to be invited ) that we decline and give the next in line a chance to enjoy.

Today's top 40 luncheon on the Caribbean Princess was great - the meal was Epicurean Maine Lobster Salad, medallions of fresh North Sea Halibut or Princess veal medallions with fois gras and for dessert, a tian of wild berries.

Captain Nicolo Binetti was charming and we were seated with the Chief Engineer who was both charming and good to look at. It was a great meal.

Today's top 40 luncheon on the Caribbean Princess was great - the meal was Epicurean Maine Lobster Salad, medallions of fresh North Sea Halibut or Princess veal medallions with fois gras and for dessert, a tian of wild berries.

Captain Nicolo Binetti was charming and we were seated with the Chief Engineer who was both charming and good to look at. It was a great meal.

Sounds great...just hope I get to experience this next time if I make the cut...last time was the cocktail party which was so-so to me.

We were invited to the luncheon on the Sapphire last August on an Alaskan cruise. We really enjoyed it and the food was great! We sat with the Chief Engineerand 3 other passengers. We have only 167 days sailed so were surprised and delighted to be asked.

Archived