Top 40 Captain's Circle lunch vs. cocktail party?

Astro Flyer

As new Elite members with 151 days on our Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen 28 day Star Princess cruise, we definitely didn't fall into the top 40 event with 300 Elites onboard.

With 179 days on my next cruise to Alaska I was shocked to learn that I was #7 & thus invited to the event. I was disappointed to learn that it was only a nicer cocktail party in Skywalkers due to our port intensive cruise. It didn't make any sense to me because we had enough time at sea to have the nice luncheon I've heard so much about; however they said from the input they receive the cocktail party was preferred.

That doesn't make sense to me...anyone have any insights on this situation?

Is the lunch with wine as nice as I've heard?

We hope to qualify as a top 40 on our November Golden Princess 14-night cruise to Hawaii & with so many sea days that it will be the nice luncheon instead. :)

As new Elite members with 151 days on our Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen 28 day Star Princess cruise, we definitely didn't fall into the top 40 event with 300 Elites onboard.

With 179 days on my next cruise to Alaska I was shocked to learn that I was #7 & thus invited to the event. I was disappointed to learn that it was only a nicer cocktail party in Skywalkers due to our port intensive cruise. It didn't make any sense to me because we had enough time at sea to have the nice luncheon I've heard so much about; however they said from the input they receive the cocktail party was preferred.

That doesn't make sense to me...anyone have any insights on this situation?

Is the lunch with wine as nice as I've heard?

We hope to qualify as a top 40 on our November Golden Princess 14-night cruise to Hawaii & with so many sea days that it will be the nice luncheon instead. :)

The lunch is fantastic.

We have not had a lunch but just the cocktail party on a couple of cruises this past year.

Not sure what dictates this though.

The lunch is fantastic.

We have not had a lunch but just the cocktail party on a couple of cruises this past year.

Do you think it's a cost cutting issue with your recent cocktail parties vs. luncheon?

I'll have to ask the onboard Captain's Circle rep about this issue.

I'm new to the forum & appreciate your insights...I'm already discovering that some members take comments personally & that it begins to sound like a family dispute instead of just respecting others opinions.

Some folks need to lighten up & I don't think I'd care to be on a cruise with any of those confrontational passengers. They need to respect others opinions & to post considerate comments like yours...thanks for sharing your vast Princess experience with all of us!

I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting. We have been invited to the most traveled luncheons since before we even became Elite (we had enough days, just not enough cruises to make Elite status before they changed the rules to either days or number of cruises) but we always ranked in the top 40 most traveled onboard for many years now. I have to tell you, out of all the cruises, only once did we have a cocktail party, all the rest were luncheons. Even on our short 7 day Emerald Princess cruise to the Caribbean in May, they had a luncheon. So, it must have been the itineary of your Alaska cruise that made the difference. No worrys, you will make the luncheon one of these days, and it's well worth the wait. ;)

We have been to both. The lunch limits your conversation with one officer or senior staff member that will be sitting at your table. At the cocktail party you get to wander and talk to anyone you wish to. When at Skywalkers there are plenty of places to sit. Also at the cocktail party there is unlimited "Top Shelf" drinks. The "Goose" flows freely and the food is fantastic ranging from lobster to caviar and everything in between.

To Astro Flyer... The odds are against you being invited to the party on your Hawaii cruise. On our last Hawaii we had over 250 days and missed the cut.

I think I am in the minority on this one. I only have about 215 days, so I've only made the cut three times...twice to the luncheon and once to the cocktail party. And hands down, I prefer the cocktail party. The officer at my table on the first occasion was quite personable and friendly, but at the other he looked like he was dying to get out of there. I can't say I blame him as I was bored as well. The downside of being one of the most traveled is that so many of the other most traveled are showy, or braggarts, and insufferable.

The cocktail party, however, is a much freer environment where you can mingle with people and are not forced to endure them when your personalities don't mesh. Don't worry, I am sure just as many people don't care for my company as well...but at least at the cocktail party we can be polite and go our separate ways. We don't have to sit there through the lunch, praying it will end quicker.

Plus, the cocktail party was one of the only occasions to get caviar and great drinks. The wine and food at the luncheon weren't as much to my liking.

Just my opinion though, I fully respect I'm in the minority. :)

The lunch is fantastic.

Captains Circle Hostess said it is up to the Captain which he would like to do. Although I'd rather have the lunch, since I like going to the diningroom for dinner.

We have been to both. The lunch limits your conversation with one officer or senior staff member that will be sitting at your table. At the cocktail party you get to wander and talk to anyone you wish to. When at Skywalkers there are plenty of places to sit. Also at the cocktail party there is unlimited "Top Shelf" drinks. The "Goose" flows freely and the food is fantastic ranging from lobster to caviar and everything in between.

To Astro Flyer... The odds are against you being invited to the party on your Hawaii cruise. On our last Hawaii we had over 250 days and missed the cut.

Thanks...guess either way it's a good event!

That's what I figured...my 185 days going to Hawaii has 2 chances to make the cut...slim & none! :-)

Captains Circle Hostess said it is up to the Captain which he would like to do. Although I'd rather have the lunch, since I like going to the diningroom for dinner.

Lunch would be best for me also...having late assigned sitting I had to rush off to dinner after the cocktail party.

I think I am in the minority on this one. I only have about 215 days' date=' so I've only made the cut three times...twice to the luncheon and once to the cocktail party. And hands down, I prefer the cocktail party. The officer at my table on the first occasion was quite personable and friendly, but at the other he looked like he was dying to get out of there. I can't say I blame him as I was bored as well. The downside of being one of the most traveled is that so many of the other most traveled are showy, or braggarts, and insufferable.

The cocktail party, however, is a much freer environment where you can mingle with people and are not forced to endure them when your personalities don't mesh. Don't worry, I am sure just as many people don't care for my company as well...but at least at the cocktail party we can be polite and go our separate ways. We don't have to sit there through the lunch, praying it will end quicker.

Plus, the cocktail party was one of the only occasions to get caviar and great drinks. The wine and food at the luncheon weren't as much to my liking.

Just my opinion though, I fully respect I'm in the minority. :)[/quote']

Grazie...pros & cons for either one...it's only "good" & "better" so no way to loose.

We have been to the lunches and cocktail parties and prefer the lunches. Great food and we have always enjoyed the officer seated at our table. It is also another chance to meet other passengers with lots of cruising experience.

Larry, couldn't agree more. I think the cocktail party atmosphere is much more fun than the stuffy luncheon.

I also have about the same amount of cruise days as you do and I have yet to be invited to the event on Hawaii cruise. Too many long, long time cruisers on that one. :p

I've been invited to both luncheons and cocktail parties. I much prefer the luncheon. I've never been bored at a luncheon and I've met some really nice people. I've been at tables with the cruise director, the captain's circle hostess, the ship's doctor and his wife, and the passenger services directer. All were very interesting to talk with. We learned a lot about the ship from them. Someday I hope to have enough days to actually make it to the captain's table. I've been to a couple of cocktail parties and found it very difficult to move around and talk with others. And I've never been very good at trying to balance a drink in one hand and food in the other and move from one place to another.

It's up to the Captain whether to host a cocktail party or a luncheon and nothing to do with cost-cutting. I've been to both and I like them both. The goodies at the cocktail party are terrific plus you can order any drink you want. On my Crown cruise (disembarked today), there were a LOT of Elites and my sister, with about 350 days, didn't make the cut-off for the luncheon.

We're a long way away from achieving this status on Princess. I thought it was great, however, that Holland America had a past passenger lunch for all past passengers on our Westerdam cruise last year. It was only our second HAL cruise, so we were surprised they did that instead of a cocktail party.

How was that lunch made special? Special menu? Other?

The food presentation is a work of art, nothing like we have ever seen in the dinning room. Makes everyone feel special.

But we think we would have preferred a cocktail party for, at lunch you are seated with one officer when you may have a desire to speak to some of the others. A cocktail mingling would allow that.

How was that lunch made special? Special menu? Other?
I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and have attended several of their past passenger luncheons. They are nice but absolutely nothing special. Because there are so many passengers, the dining room is full and you are seated in the equivalent of Open seating. You have a choice of two entrees and you don't have a choice for anything else. The food is just OK; nothing to write home about. You'd get a better lunch on a Princess ship in the dining room.

QUOTE=ONT-CA;26127342]

But we think we would have preferred a cocktail party for, at lunch you are seated with one officer when you may have a desire to speak to some of the others. A cocktail mingling would allow that.

We have only been to two cocktail parties and at both found little, if any, mingling.

Folks arrived, took seats, and that was it. The officers pretty much found a group and

stayed with that group. The Capitan never made it over to our group. If you wanted to

talk to the PSD or other officers you would have to basically intrude on whatever group

held their attention. They did not try to roam, and if they did they were hung onto by

a group. So our experience is that a officer would join a group and that was that.

Bottom line -- we, both times, ended up with one officer -- just like we would have

at a luncheon. (but without the super meal:))

QUOTE=ONT-CA;26127342]

We have only been to two cocktail parties and at both found little, if any, mingling.

Folks arrived, took seats, and that was it. The officers pretty much found a group and

stayed with that group. The Capitan never made it over to our group. If you wanted to

talk to the PSD or other officers you would have to basically intrude on whatever group

held their attention. They did not try to roam, and if they did they were hung onto by

a group. So our experience is that a officer would join a group and that was that.

Bottom line -- we, both times, ended up with one officer -- just like we would have

at a luncheon. (but without the super meal:))

Earl, although we have only attended one cocktail party, this was a perfect description of what we found also. ;)

Archived