Qm 2 Westbound....5/22/05!

aaannnthony

• 1 month later...

Howdy!

Hubby and I will be there!

I found another thread pertaining to our 5/22 departure and posted on that one as well. So far, there aren't many of us on this site.

I can't imagine why. I've learned so much!

As many cruises as I've been fortunate enough to sail on, I'm STILL learning!

Each one is different.

I think that I'm looking forward to this cruise more than all the others.

I mean, it's the QM2 for pete's sake!

Hi, my partner and I will both be on the Westbound sailing on May 22nd. This will be our 2nd transatlantic sailing and we are also booked on to the Caribbean explorer in December. I am 29 years old and my partner is 33. Hope to see you aboard!

I'm glad to see others will be on the ship with us!

I was getting a bit worried. :)

I've copied and pasted so much info from this site.

We're now trying to figure out where to stay in Southampton. It seems all the better hotels are booked solid. Also comfortable transportation from the airport to S.H. (carrying ALL my MANY pieces of luggage from to Victoria Station doesn't sound too comfortable to me)

We've been to London several times, so will be going straight to S.H. for a few days. I have no idea why we didn't take care of this earlier. We know better!

Also booked for first seating (a first for us) but now considering changing to second. I just have a difficult time eating that early after 'tea' so late.

Which is probably why we've never sat at first seating before. The times for both are a bit inconvenient for us. Too early...too late.

But we figure we'll eat in the alternatives 2 or 3 nights, so it'll all work itself out.

We've been on about 40 cruises, but THIS ONE is the one we're most excited about.

Can't wait...can't wait...can't wait!

Debbie and Michael

Where is everyone???

We did manage to change our dining time to late seating. Of course that means that I will be able to partake in the daily tea ritual and enjoy it.

And I think we managed to snag the last room at the inn. The Holiday Inn, that is. So things are coming together very well.

In the meantime, can anyone (if there's anyone out there) explain the mascarade ball, the black and white ball and the Pirates Ball????

Are these all on formal nights? During dinner, or after?

I've read about them on this site, but am still somewhat confused.

Do most participate?

Hi Yvonne

I've seen your name on this site. You've been asking all the questions that have helped me tremendously. THANKS! :)

Anytime I cruise on a new ship, I like to familiarize myself with as much info as I can. Saves time later on, and eliminates that 'lost' feeling.

Oh yes, excitement abounds around this household, too.

We always look forward to a cruise, but it's been a long time since we've been 'can't sit still' excited about one.

Deb,

this is only my second cruise, and that happen many many moons ago. This is my first big one, and I'm itching to start packing ... we'll be leaving from Southampton 5/22 and then coming back on the cruise on 7/5 ... so I'm already happy thinking that whatever I miss the first time I'll catch the second time.

Our cabins are somewhere in the deep belly of the ship, but I'm hoping all the activities keeps us happy enough to not be in the cabin much (since its so small!).

I'm now patiently :o waiting for my tickets ...

Yvonne

Have you gone into the other site (that they apparently won't let me type here), (CT) and registered your name for your upcoming cruises on 'rollcall?'

Right now, Michael and I are the only two registered.

Normally, if you have more than (I think) 25 or 35 people, they throw a party for your group on the ship. We sailed the transatlantic on the Jewel of the Seas in October, and we had one heck of a great get together. (I won the big prize so of course I thought it was great) But other than that, we met so many wonderful people.

By the time we met, we all felt as if we'd already known each other.

You're going to be away for a LONG time, aren't you? But taking the QM2 TWICE would be a dream come true, for SURE!

Have you gone into the other site (that they apparently won't let me type here), (CT) and registered your name for your upcoming cruises on 'rollcall?'

Right now, Michael and I are the only two registered.

Normally, if you have more than (I think) 25 or 35 people, they throw a party for your group on the ship. We sailed the transatlantic on the Jewel of the Seas in October, and we had one heck of a great get together. (I won the big prize so of course I thought it was great) But other than that, we met so many wonderful people.

By the time we met, we all felt as if we'd already known each other.

You're going to be away for a LONG time, aren't you? But taking the QM2 TWICE would be a dream come true, for SURE!

Deb,

drop me a note and tell me which other sites your talking about (griffs4ever@yahoo.com).

It sounds like fun to get together, after all these mails ... yes, we're staying in the states for awhile ... making a big vacation of it all.

YvonneE

Email is on its way...

But now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting the party that's thrown confused with THIS site. I know the other site gives great info on ports and the ship.

Maybe I am getting confused by that.

Since we're the only people signed up on the other site for this cruise, I can't remember. There were so many people signed up on the last cruise I went on, on both sites, that I can't remember which site did what. Sorry.

OK, I know that SOMEBODY gives a party if you have enough passengers signed up.

I'm not much help, am I? :)

• 2 weeks later...

hello Everyone

We are looking forward to joining this transatlantic crossing (we are in fact doing the return as well)

we are Chris and Sheila from North west England and have done the transatlantic on a few occasions before on QE2 but this is a first for us on QM2 and are very much looking forward to it.

Hope to see you on board

Hi Chris and Sheila

I truly wish I could go to sleep and wake up on the morning of 5/22 ... I've only done one other cruise, (many many moons ago, in the caribbean) - so this transatlantic cruise comes with very high hopes and expectations.

Hope to see you aboard!

Hi Yvonne....and everyone thanx for the nice welcome.

Am sure we are all looking forward to walking along that gang plank on May 22nd.......dont worry Yvonne it will soon come around.....trouble is the trip will soon pass too!

We did QE2 transatlantic for our 10th anniversary and then sev others up to our 25th, a couple of years ago plus some important birthdays!....we are a couple of years away from our 30th but simply couldnt wait.....so used the excuse of an insignificant birthday for Chris while on the return crossing !

Ooh got my initial travel documents/booklets yesterday for the 22/5 crossing- which makes it all the more exciting! Will fax over my guest registration form today. Interestingly the form says that it can be completed online at the main cunard.co.uk website but despite searching I could not find it! Has anyone else had that experience?

I sent the last reply incomplete.

You can go into the Cunard site and bring up the form, but there's no way to actually fill it out online.

Or, not that we've been able to find. Hubby is still searching the site.

I'm still trying to get info on the various balls. How many gowns to bring? Etc.

One thread said to bring four gowns. I don't mind taking as many as I need, as long as I know they'll be used. We love dressing up, so it will be a fun time for us.

Just wish I knew more about the black and white, the pirate and the mascarade.

We've booked a hull balcony. Everyone seems to have an opinion about them.

So I'm not sure what to expect. (all the balconies I've had on other ships have been open)

Of course how much time does one spend in their cabin? On other ships, we spend more time than we used to, but on the QM2, I suspect we'll be in the cabin just long enough to sleep.

There's so many things we want to do on this cruise, I doubt that we'll have enough time to do them all. Eating, drinking, dancing, gambling, shopping,spa-ing, sleeping, gaming, reading, touring (the ship) exercising, then more eating.

SO EXCITED!

Debbie and Michael

I know exactly what you mean- it is hard to find time to fit in all the things you want to do- thats why you will have to go on QM2 again after this cruise- we couldnt wait to book our next crossing! Cant believe it will have been over a year since we first sailed on her!

When we went last May I took around 3 formal outfits- think I will do the same this time around- or maybe 4! It really is fun to get dressed up and most people dont have such an opportunity in everyday life so it is well worth going to town!

With regards to balls on our sailing there was an Ascot ball where a lot of people made hats- I hadnt taken a hat with me due to space constrictions etc and I was rather surprised that people were wearing made paper hat type things- I was expecting some large Philip treacy type milinery creations!

With the black n white ball I think it was just a suggestion with regards to dress- My partner and I stuck to the black n white theme but many others just wore their formal outfits!

Interested to hear about the poss of themed evenings.....although done several crossings on QE2 never had themed evenings before.......some on other cruises.....more decisions for Sheila about a hat to be packed good job we are going down to Southampton in the car!!!! I have no excuse for saying....'we dont have room' we have a wedding next weekend and I suspect the hat from that may come with us....

Cunard told me 3 formal,two casual and 1 informal/formal which is less formal than QE2 but understand people tened to dress up rather than down,

We have done our pre registartion forms a week or so ago so does make you feel your on the way doesnt it...only five weeks to go........mmmmmmm and about 7lbs to loose to be able to indulge!!!

We have balcony aswell but guess prob not going to be greatly used on a transatlantic unless we are very fortunate...dont see us having to many balcony breakfasts on this trip.

If I expect to take 3-4 of my gowns, then it looks like I'd better get serious about my diet.

Since I'm the 'queen mother' of my own Red Hat chapter. I wonder if one of my fancy red hats would suffice for Ascot night. I just can't see me wearing a paper hat on the QM2. I know I should get into the spirit of things, but on the QM2??? I think I'll bring my own.

The black and white ball sounds interesting. Hubby and I will love this!

But we both love dressing up for any reason. Seems the only place one can really dress up nowadays (besides a cruise) are formal weddings, mitvah's, and new years eve. What happened to the good old days????

I think Michael and I were born in the wrong era.

I don't think I've ever had a balcony breakfast on a transatlantic cruise. Although maybe the hull balconies would block the wind? Of course, if you can't see anything but the inside of the hull when you're sitting down, it wouldn't really be worth having eggs and bacon out there, now would it? Either way, I doubt I'm going to starve! :)

Now that sounds fascinating.....would love to know more .......is that a Texas special club?....anyway Im sure a red hat will be wonderful and if we dont identify you any other way that may be the answer!!!

Diet....oh dear....yes we have both 'cut back' as from last week and hopefully will balance what we know we will gain on the crossing......if the afternoon tea is anything like the QE2 Im sunk!!!! and remember we are going both ways.......so its definately a lunch free day in New york!

Actually, the Red Hat Society has gone international. You can go into their site and see what we're all about. redhatsociety.com

Most chapters do teas, etc. My chapter does mostly happy hours, etc!

We're a FUN chapter! :)

Just by coincidence, there were about 25 Red Hatters on the transatlantic cruise that I took in September. We had several special teas and lunches. It was great. We actually found each other on the cruisecritic site.

My chapter is called, The Scarlet Harlots with Hattitude.

Michael and I love 'high tea.' We used to go to San Francisco and stay at the St. Frances FOR their high tea. (as 'high' as we experience in the US, which probably isn't high at all)

Now they only have it over the Christmas holidays. We have tea rooms all over town, but they're just not the same.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. Love those petite sandwiches and scones!

Which is probably another reason why I need to lose weight before the cruise.

What happened to those days when 5-10 pounds would seemingly melt away with no effort whatsoever?

Speaking of food...nobody should go to NYC and NOT have a meal. That's downright sacreligious! Fortunately, one of our friends from the city will be in town when we disembark, so he'll be picking us up at the pier for a nice meal. Then unfortunately it's to the airport and back to Texas.

But I don't want to think about that yet!

I think we're going to try and reserve Todd English for a few nights, and a night in Chef's Galley, and 3 nights in Brittania. Has anyone heard anything about Chef's Galley?

Oh, you must tell me all about tea on the QE2.

Archived