Qm 2 Westbound....5/22/05!

aaannnthony

Hi, all-

Well, am I ever glad I found you all! I've been checking on the Roll Calls, and couldn't find any for this sailing - thought my DH and I would be alone on the ship.

We have met some really nice people on the CRuiseCRitic on previous cruises, and you can get a lot of info and advice.

We have been on a lot of cruises, but this is our first transatlantic, and such a classy ship. Can't hardly wait!

I can't imagine three or four formals out of six nights, but we will dress for the occasions. I guess most of the men will wear tuxedos?

Anybody have any idea what the weather will be like aboard ship?

We are planning to spend two or three days in New York before leaving for home.

I guess we should plan on a place to meet on the ship, the first or second day out.

We are willing to accept any brilliant advice.

Regards,

Rosie

Our best to all,

Rosie

Glad you found us Rosie......our group is growing!

Brilliant Advice......now am sure you will get that from everyone else but me....note I have excluded Sheila (my wife) from that remark for reasons of my personal safety.

Many guys will wear Tuxedos but also there will be some dark suits too.....but we do have to try and natch the glamour of the ladies .....and of course the ship.

Am not sure of the details but am aware (from these boards) that there is a website which tells about sea conditions but think its only from about 7 days before crossing.We have done June and had it roughush and September and Nov like a proverbial Mill pond......

Rosie .....instead of working this morning have found your website about the atlantic weather.......http://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WAM/all. natl.html

There is a space after 'all. '

Think you may ned a degree or at least a correspondence course to understand it!

Debs....friends did both restaurants and enjoyed them...there is a supplement for both but chefs galley includes wine I believe......

Bookings go pretty fast especially for evenings.

Tea I believe is same as on QE2 white glove service ,sandwiches scones jam and cream and cakes.....scrummy!!!! and if you have it between 4 and 5pm they take out every calorie!!!!!

Chris

Tea I believe is same as on QE2 white glove service ,sandwiches scones jam and cream and cakes.....scrummy!!!! and if you have it between 4 and 5pm they take out every calorie!!!!!

Chris

If only that were true! One word of warning - if you are on an early sitting then it can be hard to squeeze in afternoon tea as well as have lunch! We managed it on one day and it was well worth it- but boy were we full!

Hi all... So glad we're finally finding each other on this site!

We changed our 1st seating reservation at dinner to 2nd, because of 'tea.' I do have my priorities, don't I? Actually, we had never eaten at 1st seating before, so I was a bit apprehensive about it. Having Tea was the deal breaker.

Michael always wears a tuxedo on formal nights. Suits on informal, and a jacket without a tie on casual. Sometimes a long sleeve shirt and slacks, but very rarely. And especially not on a transatlantic. Caribbean, sometimes.

He just feels appropriate with a jacket in the evenings.

Don't even ask about what I wear. I bring half my closet and hope I have something that works. I don't know why it has to be so difficult for the women.

What fits one day won't fit the next, etc. (and that includes shoes!)

We are definitely going to book two nights (if we can) for T.E.

As far as I'm concerned (not my husband) the chef's galley will depend on what wine is served. The usual 'house wine' type of swill won't do it for me. If I'm not fond of the selections of wine, can I change it?

I found out yesterday that luggage weight has changed for international. At least on American Airlines. I was just in Brussles a month ago and it was still 70 lbs. Now it's 50 lbs. Actually they said that it's a total of 100 lbs per person. (2 cases each) And that they would 'probably' wave the 50 lb limit as long as both cases didn't exceed 100 lbs. (I don't think I trust 'probably')

I've been charged 75.00 before (nationally) because I had exceeded the weight limit. (they didn't previously notify us then, either)

Hubby and I both are plantinum members on American. They send me more emails than I can read, but when they make such significant changes, they don't bother to tell anyone.

So anyone flying internationally should check with their airline. I plan on posting this info on a separate thread as well.

Rosie, did you find ME on Rollcall? I've been registered with them for awhile now. But it seems everytime I go into the site, I'm still the only one registered for our cruise. Very strange...

We've only been on Sept or Oct. transatlantics, so I wouldn't be much help with the weather prediction. I do know that others have mentioned that it could go either way. It's a gamble for sure.

I'm certainly getting excited!!!!!

Hi all... So glad we're finally finding each other on this site!

We changed our 1st seating reservation at dinner to 2nd, because of 'tea.' I do have my priorities, don't I? Actually, we had never eaten at 1st seating before, so I was a bit apprehensive about it. Having Tea was the deal breaker.

I'm certainly getting excited!!!!!

I hadnt thought about it like that but tea should be a deal breaker! I am excited to try the tea out in the Queens Room- last May we had it in the winter garden but it was very tight on space and one afternoon we had to have it whilst sitting at the bar- not ideal!! Luckily enough the next day we found a nice spot by the window but the elegance and grandiose nature of the Queens Room is much more suited to the serving of afternoon tea! read on a board or website today that the new Queen Victoria plans to have a room in the style of the Ritz for afternoon tea- which certainly would be something! For anyone coming to London as part of their trip afternoon tea at the Ritz or Claridges is unmissable!!

Good advice Bonnie......also to add to that list The Savoy,the last couple of times we have been in London we had tea there and preferred to Ritz......not done Claridges though.

Deb....dont think you need to worry about the wine served in the Chefs galley am sure it will be fine......our friends have much better idea than us and they certainly didnt complain........which they are apt to do!

Seems like Michaels 'Attire' will be pretty similar to min, as for Sheila......well the fact we can drive to the ship means that s long as it goes in the car I dont believe that I can persuade her not too take it!!

I am presently bargaining that as there will not be a large number doing the round trip that it may be acceptable to wear things twice......am losing that one I believe!!!,,

I guess I just send dress shirts to the laundry!.....mind you I may take 4 bow ties!

Tea at the Ritz sounds like our perfect afternoon. We'll have to try it on our next visit. Oh, how I LOVE England!!!! Everything about it!!!!

One of my dream vacations would be to fly to London, rent a car, and spend two weeks on a driving holiday. One of these days....

Michael will also bring 4 ties. He normally brings two tuxedo shirts, and sends to the laundry.

I rememeber the days when we lived in Miami, and took cruises from that port.

No luggage weight to worry about. Just drive to the docks and get on the ship. With lots and lots of luggage!

Yes, I do envy you. (although I'm glad to be back in Texas)

Sheila sounds like MY kind of girl. Pack as much as you can, or until someone steps in, and says ENOUGH ALREADY! :)

Michael still tells the story of me going on a cruise and taking 23 pairs of shoes. I'm a little better about that now.

I really admire these women who know how to pack, taking as little as possible, and getting as much mixing and matching as they can out of them.

Is formal wear on this ship really formal? Meaning long gowns? Silk pants and a jacket? Or, all of the above?

I'm glad to hear the wines in Chef's Galley are good. I'm not asking for something as wonderful as Opus One, (well, actually, I am) but a very nice wine would be appreciated, even if I had to pay for it. But I appreciate the hearty laugh you gave me at the expense of your friends.

You're quite a funny fella!

Did any of you hear about the NCI cruiseship that was hit by a 70 ft. wave a few days ago? I believe it was somewhere between the Bahamas, and South Carolina. Broke windows, injured a few people, and basically flooded the ship. Made me feel VERY fortunate that we're on the QM2!

Hi, again-

Nice to hear from all of you, but whatever happened to Aaannthony who was the first poster on this thread?

Deb, I don't think I picked you up on the rollcalls, but I haven't looked lately.

Bonni99, we are spending five days in LOndon before the cruise, and are looking for different things to do. We have been there many times before, and have relatives, who have taken us all over. We were thinking of a day out of LOndon, although we have done a lot of that, also. But maybe we would go up to Scotland for a day trip - haven't done that.

When I asked about weather, I wasn't even thinking about roughness- I meant temperature-wise, to know what to wear in the daytime. Evening is only one part of it.

We would also like to dine in a couple of the alternate choices. Maybe some of us could get together.

Speak to you, again, soon.

Rosie

Rosie,

On this site, (as opposed to the OTHER site) I have found the 'mix and mingle' rollcall that I signed up for when I cruised on RCCL (RCI) but I don't see a place to sign up for any other cruiseline. Can someone direct me?

Deb-

This is the one I was looking at. -http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72 , but I couldn't find any sailings for our date. This is where I have always met others on previous cruises. You go on the boards to Roll Calls, and then to your ship and date.

I hope this helps.

I meant the weather outside, to know if I should take summer resortwear, or more like Fall stuff.

I guess I am not used to a cruise where you are inside so much of the time.

Did everyone see on the news aboout the Norwegian Dream's adventure this week? The waves were really high, but Norwegian spokesperson said that at no time was there any danger. We were once on a ship that was outrunning a major storm, but the Captain was great, and kept us posted at all times. We were fine. Cruise companies do not take any chances with their passengers.

Sleep tight,

Rosie

We're baaaaacccccckkkkkkk!

Thanks Frankel (Rosie) and Deb for your concerns, but, we've just returned, a few days ago, from a 31 day b-2-b on Oceania's Insignia, Barbados to Barcelona and Barcelona to Istanbul, a great experience and a cruise line to put on your "A" list.

Sorry for the confusion with two threads, but, somehow, it happened. Let's keep this thread solely for new postings. Two others posted on the other thread, "Mer Fairy" and "grifftails" (Malvina).

I would suggest that we have a first get together on the first of our five sea days at 11:30 in a convenient location, I usually suggest the Library, and lunch together in the dining room.

I'll post a "scoreboard" with names and cabin assignments after receipt of the info......thanks!

We're Fran & Anthony in #8109.

Hi fran and Anthony......sounds like an excellent trip. have heard oceania is a good line. Its quite diff for those of us in U.K. to book on.....as brochures come out quite a while after the U.S. and cabin availability is then limited. Friends tried to book a baltic cruise for summer 2006 last week when U.K. info cam e out and there were no 'mini suite ' grade available and the prices higher for uk than U.S who obv had a transatlantic flight to include.

Glad you enjoyed it......after 31 days 6 is going to fly by!!!!

Subject to whatever may be in the daily programme 11.30 first day would be good.

we are in 10054...

Chris and Sheila

Welcome Back Anthony! So glad to hear you're doing well.

I can't wait to hear about your latest cruise. It sounds fantastic!

Also your plans for a meeting is a good one.

We've done this on past cruises, and have met some very nice people.

Hi fellow QM2 cruisers,

I'll be on this crossing also and look forward to meeting all of you. 11:30 AM on the first morning sounds good to me; I'm a late sleeper so appreciate not having to turn out too early!

I've just booked so don't have a lot of information, do you think we can turn up before 3 PM to board? I'll be visiting friends in Cowes so will only have to jump on the hydrofoil to get to S'hampton harbour. I don't mind leaving it until late but I would hate to find that all the spa services had already been booked before I arrive. Is it possible to book on the internet before the sailing date?

alita

Howdy Alita...Glad to meet you!

I hear that we can begin boarding around 1:00. I'll bet it's more like noon.

I've not heard of making spa reservations online.

Gads, if we can do that, someone yell.

I realize that I'm not much help, but it's all I've got. :)

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out an EASY way to get from the airport to S'hampton. I'm not prepared to find a way to get to the train, bus, etc. with so many bags. Easy is GOOD!

Anyone have any ideas? We're coming in a day early, and since visiting London so often, we're going straight to SH.

hello Alita....the group grows.

I have same info as Deb boarding from 1pm. They usually start as soon as ship ready and on check in give a 'boarding pass and call you by that number. If your in grill class or a platinum member of cunard you usually get priority anyway.

Not seen anything for Spa online booking think its an 'on board' thing.

Deb.....not sure which london airport your coming into but there is a coach service to southampton look at http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm cost for this is about £21 per person.

You may want a car and driver and understand that good firm is http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk no idea of cost.

Hope gives some ideas.

Chris

Chris, thanks for all your info. I'll have hubby check it out.

I just can't see myself dragging luggage down a street, from one place to another.

We're flying into Gatwick from Dallas.

I've also read somewhere on this board that passengers get on the ship as they check in. (the number system is basically ignored) I've never cruised on Cunard, so you would know better if this is true. (another reason I'm SO excited) It's like cruising for the first time. Hadn't had that feeling in a very long time.

Deb .....think boarding depends on volume ......and port of embarkation if quiet when arrive may go straight on. we have had times when its been just a few minutes and others when we have waited in the lounge for up to an hour and that was with some element of priority i.e grill class.

but it was still part of the excitement!!!!

Its our 3rd crossing but first time on QM and I know exactly how you feel I keep looking at the brochure and website......and re-reading my Berlitz guide!!

Hi, again, all-

Anthony, the library sounds like a great idea, and 11:30 A.M. is perfect. On previous trips, we had met in bars, and were never sure if we had the right bar, there are so many on most ships. But there's only one library. That sounds like quite a trip you had. We will have to hear about it.

Alita, welcome, nice to meet another late sleeper. Usually on cruises, I have to get up early for shore excursions, but this time we don't have any!

Talk about excited, we can't wait to see this gorgeous ship! And explore it.

See you all, soon,

Rosie

I'm a bit of a late sleeper too. (depending on what kind of trouble I'm getting myself into the night before)

Gads, will ANYONE be up early??? If so, would you mind dropping a cup of coffee by my cabin? :)

We love cruising the transatlantic route. (Transpacific, too)

Being out in the middle of nowhere is our way of relaxing.

It sounds as though I've found a great group to cruise with! :)

A few questions for the women-- I'm trying to assemble a suitable wardrobe and as I will be spending 10 days in England prior to the QM2 I shall have some space problems, especially regarding formal wear. In previous posts on this thread I see that some of you are bringing several evening gowns; that won't be possible for me but I do have mix-and-match evening separates which I plan to wear along with one really formal evening dress. Does anyone ever wear the same outfit twice?? Is understated okay? This is my first crossing and I certainly don't want to disgrace my dining table!

Also would appreciate suggestions about daytime wear.. as May is not quite summer will dark colors prevail?

Today is my day to send in my passport to be renewed, I only noticed a few days ago that it expires in September, less than 6 months after sailing date. I'll be leaving here May 10 so I'm feeling a little rushed on all fronts.

Very much looking forward to this sailing and to meeting all of you~

alita

Debbie, we'll need your cabin number in order to deliver that coffee!

Here's a very preliminary scoreboard, alphabetically:

1) aaannnthony.....Fran & Anthony, #8109.

2) alita.....Alita & ?.

3) blackpool UK.....Sheila & Chris, #10054.

4) bonni 99.....Bonni & ?.

5) deb 7073.....Debbie & Michael.

6) Frankel.....Rosie & ?.

7) grifftails.....Malvina & ?.

8) Mer Fairy.....? & ?.

9) Yvonne E.....Yvonne & ?.

Please post the missing info.

Looks like we have a minor consensus to meet at the Library at 11:30AM on the 23rd; we'll then plan on lunch together in the dining room!

Grifftails/Malvina will be travelling with Yvonne E/ Yvonne

I'm not sure of the cabin number yet but I'll try to find out

How are we going to find each other? Code word?

I can't hardly wait but I have to say that I did get the jitters reading about Norwegian Dawn...

smile.gif

Looks like we have a minor consensus to meet at the Library at 11:30AM on the 23rd; we'll then plan on lunch together in the dining room!

Archived