Qm 2 Westbound....5/22/05!

aaannnthony

I have spoken again with Cunard...

2 formal nights, 2nd night and 'probably' the fifth night

Officers Black and White ball (also formal)

Ascot night with hats optional

Sorry for the confusion I caused yesterday.. :o

Alita, bless your little pea pickin' heart. You are so sweet to be calling Cunard because I'm so pitifully confused. I just don't want to take any more formals than I need. As you know, they take up a lot of space in a suitcase.

So, there are three formal nights. Two regular formals, and one black and white ball. I take that the Ascot evening is semi-formal. I shall take no more than three then.

Now I'm just going to concentrate on daytime wear, and the fun we're all going to have. I've really been paying special attention about what to do while onboard. I don't want to waste a single moment.

If anyone on this thread is from NY, please let me know how difficult it is to catch a cab from the pier. And if it's difficult, then what is the alternative, remembering that I will have lots of bags, and do not want to walk a long distance. (alright... NO distance!) :)

The problem is that each time I've called I've been given a different answer... so don't take this for gospel. When I asked this morning if Ascot was formal she wasn't sure but she thought so which would make 4 formal nights. If five of us from this board called we'd probably get 4 or 5 different answers.

Something else I asked got me a completely different answer than I've seen posted on the board. I think the problem is that Cunard HQ is in transition now with Princess taking over management and so not everyone there is yet 'on message'.

alita

Hi guys, I am very confident that my above post, #74, is accurate.

We'll have the following:

5/22......casual

5/23......formal, welcoming cocktail party

5/24......theme evening(formal), or informal attire for the evening

5/25......reverse of 5/24

5/26......formal, so sad to see you go, but, y'all come back cocktail party

5/27......casual, it's "packing" time

So, relax, don't even think about a fourth formal.

Deb, lines for cabs are usually very long. Also, what to do with that luggage? You may want to meet your friends, as I suggested, across the street and head straight to the airport and have lunch there together. Your dining options are somewhat limited, but, I don't think you're looking for a dining experience!

Alita and Anthony, you have been amazing, and it's VERY MUCH appreciated.

I'm bringing enough for 3 formal nights...period.

If they have more, then I'll wear one twice. If they have less, then I'll have an extra to choose from. WHEW, I'm glad THAT'S over!

Our friends live in NYC, and say they've been in the long lines at the pier, so I'd prefer they not have to go through it if they don't have to.

They're taking us to the airport later in the day. But first, we always try and have a fantastic meal when we're in the city. Even if we're just there for a few hours.

This is where they've suggested...

Le Zinc It is owned by Chef Michael Waltrop whose other restaurant Chantrelle was the James Beard Award Winner for best restaurant in the US last year.

Le Zinc is more casual and his version of "comfort food".

There is also Pastis, which is a sister restaurant to Balthazar (where we

ate once and loved) Any ideas where these are? I think one is in the 'meat market' district.

I'm sure we can find a way of getting there via cab or limo. But now that you have told me about the cab problem, I'm not sure what to do to make it easy for everyone involved.

Would you mind telling me once again EXACTLY where 'across the street' is?

I'll run it by our firends, and see what they think.

I'm sorry to be such a pain in the, well, you know...

But I do appreciate it more than you know.

Debbie, we'll need your cabin number in order to deliver that coffee!

Here's a very preliminary scoreboard, alphabetically:

1) aaannnthony.....Fran & Anthony, #8109.

2) alita.....Alita & ?.

3) blackpool UK.....Sheila & Chris, #10054.

4) bonni 99.....Bonni & ?.

5) deb 7073.....Debbie & Michael.

6) Frankel.....Rosie & ?.

7) grifftails.....Malvina & ?.

8) Mer Fairy.....? & ?.

9) Yvonne E.....Yvonne & ?.

Please post the missing info.

Looks like we have a minor consensus to meet at the Library at 11:30AM on the 23rd; we'll then plan on lunch together in the dining room!

Bonni99- actually names are Gemma and Richard (will check on cabin number!)

Hi Gemma and Richard.

As of right now, our cabin# is 5181. (I take sweet and low, and cream, please) I doubt the cabin # will change, but one can hope.

We're dining second seating.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. And having the time of my life!

I say that every time, and I always do.

But this time is REALLY difrerent! Can't wait!!!!!

At this point, our only worries is how we're getting from Gatwick to S.Hampton, and how to meet up with our friends in NYC. I'm sure minor problems.

Otherwise, I'm good to go!

Hi, all-

We seem to have lost a number of our group. Is everyone still there? Anthony, aren't you leaving soon?

Has anyone received their final documents yet? We are going to be in London for five days before the sailing, so we leave home on the 16th, but we don't know what hotel we will be at, yet.

My thanks, too, Alita for doing the phoning to Cunard. That was a big help. Now, how casual do you think dress is during the day?

Rosie

Hi, Rosie, we'll be around until we sail on the Golden Princess on May 8th!

It looks like our group is 15, as follows:

1) aaannnthony.....Fran & Anthony.....#8109

2) alita.....Alita.....#8129

3) blackpool UK.....Sheila & Chris.....#10054

4) bonni99.....Gemma & Richard

5) deb7073.....Debbie & Michael.....#5181

6) frankel.....Rosemary & Mervyn.....#6244

7) grifftails & Yvonne E.....Malvina & Yvonne

8) Mer Fairy.....? & ?

Alita, from your posts it appears you're traveling alone. If not, please post; thanks!

If we have no additions, and, we all meet on the 23rd in the Library, we'll have two nice sized tables for lunch together.

Debbie.....by "across the street" I mean where the traffic flow is the opposite direction from the traffic flow in front of the terminal. The front of the terminal has three lane traffic, an absolute mess at disembarkation. You also have three lanes going the opposite direction, North. Cross the street, 6 lanes of traffic, there is a traffic light there, and meet at the corner of 50th street.

If my explanation is not crystal clear, try me again.

Regarding formal/informal and balls.

We did the 16 Apr westbound crossing. The arrangements were:

Night 1 Casual - open shirts / polo shirts and trousers/skirts/dresses.

Night 2 Formal - Tux or Dark Suit for men and long/ ballerina/cocktail dresses/skirts for women

Night 3 Formal - Ditto

Night 4 Informal - Jacket/tie for men and dress/skirt/nice trousers for women

Night 5 - Formal - Ditto

Night 6 - Casual - Ditto

Black and White Ball only for those who want to go to the Ball in the Queens Room and the Ascot Ball we only saw two or three hats.

Enjoy your crossing.

Andrew

Howdy all...

Anthony, I emailed your info to our friend. If he doesn't understand your directions, then I'll let you know. I'm still thinking about maybe just biting the bullet and waiting for a cab, once we disembark. I don't know....

How long do you estimate having to wait?

Andrew, thanks so much for your info. Now, all the ladies know for SURE what to bring! No if, and's, or but's!

Rosie, we haven't received our documents either. Can't wait!

You'd think I'd be worried about how I'm getting from Gatwick to S.Hampton, but I figure the solution will come to me. Surely by the time I get there! :)

Deb... you can get a train right in Gatwick airport... change once, and depending on what time you leave get to Southampton station in 2.5 hours. Sundays are not great times to travel by train in the UK but at least you wouldn't have to go via London. If it were me I think I'd splurge on a hired car and driver...

alita

It's really nice to have found this message board. My husband and I are also on the QM2 May 22 crossing. We just booked it on the spur of the moment - 3 days ago. We've never been on a transatlantic crossing and have only been on a 4 day Bahama cruise - 20 years ago. It looks like we will have some very nice travel companions on this trip. The one thing that now worries me is the amount of luggage it seems like we will need. My husband is an "only what you can run with" type of packer. There isn't much time to work on that:) .

See you all aboard!

Good Morning/Evening all...

Welcome Katie. Glad you introduced yourself. There's not many of us, but we do make a lot of noise!

You're concerned about the amount of luggage to take, huh. I think your husband is the one who will need to bite the bullet this time. Bahamas it ain't. You're going to need clothes on this cruiseship. It's a pain, but well worth it.

Some of the guys were nice enough to post the evening attire suggestions. That should be a start. Daytime is nicer 'resort' type wear. As much as I love my better jeans, they're staying home this time.

Hope this helps.

Alita, Michael has decided to hire a car from Gatwick, but hasn't decided which one. They're MUCH more expensive, but I think it may be worth it. I just don't like hassles, or pulling around a lot of luggage. If I have to pay a little more for 'easy', then I'll vote that way every time. We won't know the difference a year from now. Right?

Either way, I think he'd better be getting on it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Welcome Katie- Nice to see more people on this board.

Deb, did you check with Cunard, about buying a transfer from Gatwick from them? I have no idea pricewise, but it might be less than hiring your own car,even though you will have to have two, and for sure they will have other arrivals at Gatwick that day. Just a thought.

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the advice. We land at Gatwick on Saturday, and plan to go directly to S.Hampton. I want to be 'up on my game' come Sunday.

Michael says that he hasn't checked with Cunard, but everyone has told him that Cunard prices are either more, or just as expensive.

Personally, I don't know.... But I can't believe they could be more expensive than the quotes we've received so far. If they're they same, I'd rather have a car. Actually, I don't even know if they offer transportation to S.H. on Saturday.

If you know anyone coming into Gatwick at the same time as us, please tell them that we don't mind sharing a car.

Sorry, Deb, I didn't realize that you were arriving in Southhampton a day early.

I don't know of anyone arriving, then. As I said, our package includes five days in LOndon, and transfers from the airport, and to the ship. At least that's what we think. We won't know for sure until we get our final docs, and D.H. is getting pretty antsy.

Rosie

Hello Katie and husband!

Only three weeks to go....well just under!!

Hope you got a wonderful deal with a late booking.....dont tell us or we may get very jealous.

As we are doing the return trip and just having the day in New york understand we can disembark at around 8 a.m........thought we would go for a typical New york style breakfast........your ideas please ........then its hit the shops......so Sheila says !!!

Good Day All... Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. I think today, I'm going to stand at my mailbox and wait patiently for my docs. (toe tapping!)

Anthony, this is the response I received from my NYC friend...

"I think the best thing is for me to park near the docks and meet you at a specific place--Like 50th street and West Side HWAY. Then we can schlep the luggage (I'm sure you have tons--no insult meant) to a location that I can get to easily with the car. There are parking lots very near so we will figure it all out before you depart."

Anthony, does that make sense to you? If not, please let me know. I'm just not familiar with the steets, (however I could walk Central Park with my eyes closed) My main objective is NOT carrying my luggage. He's right...I have lots!

Sheila/Chris, I'll be happy to ask my NYC friend where he would recommend eating. I've always enjoyed The Plaza, but I think they're in the process,or will be soon, changing them to condos??? Seems I've read that somewhere.

The Carnegie Deli is always a place that you must say you've been to at least once. Lindy's cheesecake is not to be missed.

I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions, and the best ones will probably come from the locals. I'll check with my friend and see what he comes up with.

3 weeks (or thereabouts) WOO HOOO! Only downside is my diet. Not going well AT ALL.

Thank you all for the welcome! Jay & I are really getting excited about this trip.

There are some recommendations that I can make about breakfast/brunch/lunch in NYC but I don't think that any one restaurant can be considered "typical New York". If you can put off eating for a while, my very top recommendation is Bouley in Tribeca (120 W. Broadway). The food is amazing and the prix fixe lunch is very reasonable. Two other really good brunch places on the west side in Tribeca are Capsuto Freres (451 Washington St.) and Tribeca Grill (375 Greenwich St. - you may see Robert DeNiro there). Another good place for breakfast is Danal in the village (90 E. 10th St) - popular with the locals. If you can get your hands on the Zagat Survey you'll find lots of ideas - we've always had good luck with that. You can also get an online trial subscription at zagat.com.

ps - we did get a good "late booking" price but don't be jealous, our cabin balcony view(I think it's 8071) is blocked by a life boat!:)

This is what my NYC friend says...

"Do they want breakfast (weekdays) or Brunch (weekends?)

Trendy: Cafeteria on 7th Ave. Models

Balthazars (we ate there)

Bubby's on Hudson

Jewish:

Katz Deli--we went there!

2nd Ave Deli on

Carnegie Deli

My Choices: Walkers, 16 North Moore Street in Tribeca old bar and rest...downhome ny style Bridge Cafe (NY oldest restaurant under the Brooklyn Bridge) 279 Water at Dover 212 227 3344

Peter Lugers in Williamsburg (off island cab necessary) fantastic steaks and

PACKED NO CREDIT CARDS

Ulysses 93 Pearls St Irish pub outdoor seating, "All you can eat," from oysters to desert $20.00 great bargain and really good food! (1/2 block from me

And of course: Blue Fin in the W Hotel at 47th or 46th St. (we had brunch there)"

So, there you have it. Another opinion. Believe me, all the opinions you get will be good ones! :)

Archived