Qm 2 Westbound....5/22/05!

aaannnthony

Can't wait to see your outfit, Anthony. I guarantee that none of us will miss you. Did you ever have a drink at Sloppy Joe's?

As of right now, our cabin# is 5181. (I take sweet and low, and cream, please) :) I doubt the cabin # will change, but one can hope.

We're dining second seating.

Alita, I wish I could help you out with your attire. There are a few on this thread from England. Can yall help her out with the weather in England?

I feel that black is ALWAYS in. No woman can go wrong in it. Add a splash of color with a scarf, an overblouse, jewerly, or a belt, and you're complete.

(and it hides a multitude of sins)

I've never been on the QM2, so someone else will have to advise just how formal, formal is on this ship. I'd be curious to know, too.

Thanks for your suggestions Deb-- I'm okay with my clothes for London and IOW but it's mostly the evenings on the QM2 (and to a lesser extent daytime wear) that I'm concerned about. It is so difficult to cram all the clothes I feel I should be bringing into one suitcase which I'll have to be able to move around w/o assistance at airports, train stations, and the like; though I do love travelling alone I hate dealing with all my baggage! So I'll need to travel lighter than those lucky ones among you who are able to drive right to the pier!

I'm in #8129 and thanks to the info received from a couple of you today will plan to arrive at the ship around 1 PM. My papers from Cunard state that my embarcation time is 4 PM and under no circumstances will I be permitted on board earlier. Do they really mean that????

alita

Okay, Anthony, thanks for undertaking the job. We are Rosemary and Mervyn, and are in Cabin 6244.

Deb, you can get room service, and it is probably more reliable (even if not as much fun as having one of us drop it off.)

Alita, I usually take a long black skirt and dressy black pants, and a few dressy tops, but if the formal nights are themed, like a Black and White night, or Ascot, or Mardi Gras, as some have suggested, it makes it a lot easier.

I don't know when we find out about that, but I guess in our docs, when we get them. Has anyone here received theirs, yet?

I was also wondering about the weather to know what to wear in the daytime- summerweight or fall ? , although I know inside it is heated or air-conditioned. Maybe someone who has done a transatlantic before, could tell us?

Rosie

Does anyone ever wear the same outfit twice?? Is understated okay? This is my first crossing and I certainly don't want to disgrace my dining table!

Well Alita, I must admit that on my last crossing I did wear my long black dress on a formal and then an informal evening- but I changed the jewellery and wore a different coloured stole around my shoulders so it was like a different outfit!!

I wish we knew what 'themed' evenings are planned. Of course, at this rate, the only concern I should have is just getting INTO my evening clothes. I think I started trying to lose weight too late.

I'm also thinking I'll just wear a 'mumu' with jewled flip flops and my pearls. :)

OK, so it's just a fantasy, but at least I wouldn't have to 'suck it in.'

I'll do what I always do, and wear the tightest fitting clothes in the beginning.

Since ships seem to go from warm to icy cold during the day, I always take enough overblouses, or jackets to take care of the problem.

If I have to suck it in during the evening, then I'm going to be comfortable during the day.

What week does the first transatlantic cruise begin? Maybe we can get a hint from them about what to wear at night.

You men out there have it made! All you have to do is carry our luggage.

I just found these on another thread, and think they are quite helpful.

Rosie

I'd certainly wear a jacket outside - the wind can be pretty chilly and strong.

I often wear a cardigan sweater on board ships, indoors, as I find the air turned down a little low for my tastes, particularly in the dining rooms and show lounges.

Druke I

View Public Profile

Find all posts by Druke I

Add Druke I to Your Buddy List

#3 April 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM

bonni99

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Aug 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that it is definitely worth taking a jacket for strolls around the deck as it can indeed get pretty chilly out there! Inside my partner and I felt it was the perfect temperature but then we like it a little bit cooler than average! The Britannia always felt good- I cannot recall ever feeling too hot or too cold anywhere on board!

bonni99

View Public Profile

Find all posts by bonni99

Add bonni99 to Your Buddy List

#4 April 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM

cruiservictor

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Oct 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will certainly need a jacket (or 2) to be outside for a crossing in April. Regarding the temp inside, my wife and I were on the 4/2 8 day NY to the Caribbean cruise. I am always hot and she is always cold and neither of us remembers being uncomfortable at all inside for our cruise, so they must have had it just right.

cruiservictor

View Public Profile

Find all posts by cruiservictor

Add cruiservictor to Your Buddy List

#5 April 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Great review, but I'm a bit confused. Are there two or three formal nights?

If I read Teresa's review correctly, I think she said there were two.

It looks like Wednesday would be a good time to book TE.

Now trying to figure out when the second visit to TE will be. I sure don't want to miss lobster!

Has anyone received their documents yet?

Hi,

There were 3 formal nights on our cruise (two of which co-incided with balls) but dress code was only enforced in Britannia and grills. So we donned tux's and gowns for the two ball nights and had dinner in Kings Court the other. We still dressed for dinner - but didnt go the whole way by donning black tie. It didn't seem right when we were to eat in the self service section of Kings Court!

Hope this helps

Teresa

Thanks Teresa for clearing that up for me.

You wrote a wonderful review. Don't want to miss the Martini's, the Rock Opera, and the FOOD!

Since the feel and activities of a ship is a little different depending on the itinerary, it's nice to hear from someone who's 'done it.'

Thanks again!

When I made my last post on Wednesday, I planned on doing a countdown post yesterday that the countdown was a month, 30 days, but, forgot.

So, the countdown today is a month, less a day!

BTW, we'll be doing a b-2-b, leaving on May 8th, 14 day Golden Princess, New York to Southampton, arriving on the 22nd. I'll report weather conditions for your considerations during our 6 day crossing, the 9th through the 14th.

Just checked the Cunard site and saw that the enrichment series on our crossing will include Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes and Jonathan Lowy, a novelist, and members of RADA doing parts from three Shakespeare plays about love and lovers, and I think, something from Chekov.

It just gets better and better.

Now if we could just find out about the formal nights and balls.

Rosie

We're arriving Gatwick about 8:00 AM, on Saturday May 21st.

We're thinking about hiring a car to take us to S'hampton. Price is 125.00 (GBP) per car.

If anyone is arriving about the same time and would like to share a car, yell.

Hi Guys, Was searching thru the boards and caught your post. Sound's like an awesome trip you are taking. This group will sure have a fun time if they meet up with you two, we sure did on the Jewel crossing. Dan & I leave friday for a west coast cruise on the Radiance with a couple of pre-days in San Diego. Take care and have a great Cruise, Dan and Tom

I'm also thinking I'll just wear a 'mumu' with jewled flip flops and my pearls. :)

OK, so it's just a fantasy, but at least I wouldn't have to 'suck it in.'

I love this line! Would you also wear one of your red hats???

Thanks to all of the suggestions and info posted above I finally have a game plan and will stop agonizing over the dress question. Teresa.. your report is both interesting and helpful, I'm grateful that it was linked to this thread as it contains a wealth of useful info!

Not sure I understand about the themed balls-- do these take place on all crossings?

I'm getting so excited about this sailing and after the misfortunes of the DAWN on these boards I'm *very* happy to be on an ocean liner rather than a cruise ship for the crossing.

alita

If you didn't see my new thread, here's the update on weight at AA.

(due to complaints) As of April 22, 2005, American Airlines has rolled back their weight restrictions for international flights out of the US from 50 lbs. to 70 lbs. per bag, with a 2 bag per person limit.

For domestic flights, it remains at 50 lbs. There is a charge of 25.00 for exceeding the weight restriction.

However, if you are ticketed to an international gateway, and returning from a US gateway, and it's all on one ticket, then the 70 lb. rule applies.

If it's on two separate tickets, then you may have a problem.

I suppose we do have a voice and it has been heard!

Dan and Tom...HOWDY GUYS! So glad you found us! I wish yall were going on this cruise. We said that we were going to plan another together. What FUN we had! Bingo and the Disco will NEVER be the same!

Alita...I'm glad SOMEONE understood my humor about the mumu. Every woman out there must have wished to do this at least ONCE. I've spent the last two days shopping for the third gown, and I'm ready for this fantasy to become real. Mumu's are starting to look GOOD!

I have at least ten gowns in my back closet, and they're all a bit tight. All in just a few months. Doesn't seem possible.

Wonder if Michael would mind if I wore a tuxedo too.

You guys HAVE IT MADE!

I've gone through some of the threads and get conflicting information.

Either that, or I'm just not reading it correctly.

I don't know whether Cunard changes their 'themes' based on where they're travelling (like some cruises) or not.

Caribbean would be more tropical in theme, perhaps?

I think we've figured out there's an Ascot and a Black and White ball. Maybe the 3rd formal night is just formal in nature. I'm still not sure what the ascot theme is. Is it formal, with hats? What kind of hats?

And I'm still confused on whether the theme's are after dinner, or all evening.

As for me, I'm STILL shopping!

I have also seen on these boards a Mardi Gras Theme. Ascot is what people wear to the Ascot Horse Race, and the pictures I have seen, show the ladies wearing garden-party type dresses, or dressy suits and large, ornate hats. Men , I think, wear top hats and morning suits. (or is it mourning). I guess some of the British ladies on this thread could tell us North Americans what is expected.

Rosie

I just spoke to someone at Cunard who gave me the following information for the 5/22 crossing:

2 formal nights

2 themed balls -- Ascot (hats optional) and Black & White

I didn't think to ask if the balls took place on the formal nights but I would imagine so. The agent was gone from the phone for quite a while to get this information so I would assume that it is correct.

alita

p.s. Deb, how about bringing a red hat for me??? ;)

Well, now I'm REALLY confused. I'm beginning to think I'm not as intelligent as I thought I was.

There are TWO formal nights? And TWO themed balls?

I was under the impression that Balls WERE formal? At least they are here in Texas. VERY formal events.

So my question is, are there a total of FOUR 'formal' nights?

Or, are there two REAL formal nights, and two nights that we can wear anything we want? And would the attire be semi formal, or casual?

Meaning, would a black pair of pants, and a white shirt suffice, or a black and white BALL gown?

You know, this really should be simplier than this. :)

I really don't want to interfere in the confusion, but, we did do a crossing on QE-2, the last leg of the 2003 World Cruise, and, there was one "theme" night, "Welcome to America", on the crossing portion of that cruise.

I would assume there will also be one, only one, theme night, probably "Black and White", on our transatlantic, most probably night three or four, whichever night is scheduled for the past passenger's "reunion" cocktail party.

Nights two and five will be the "welcome/farewell" formal cocktail parties. The other night, night three or four, will be the informal, jacket/tie for the gentlemen, evening. Nights one and six will be "formal casual", the unpack/pack evenings!

If I've erred in my assumptions, it's no bibbie.....we'll enjoy anyway!!

Oh Anthony, PLEASE interfere. I beg you!

I have a few questions...

Is the black and white affair FORMAL?

I was told there is only ONE informal night.

I will be one happy lady if you can tell me how many formals and semi formals to bring. :)

Archived