Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

Well, it stinks but Carnival will no longer offer a reduced deposit of $25.00 to book into a CC group cruise. AND if you have one booked already, and the second deposit was due AFTER Nov. 1st. Your complete deposit is due by Nov. 1st, 2010 now.

You have the option of letting your booking cancel, and pay the rest of the deposit when you want to, but you will lose your booking number, dining time, excursions booked. etc.

Carnival will lose a lot of groups by doing this. The GREAT news is that because Carnival dropped the ball, Celebrity, NCL and Royal are all going to start offering the reduced depsoit for their lines!

Oasis/Allure here I come!~:D

Yep... that is, indeed, the case.

I've been struggling with this for a bit... I asked about a change but it seems that Carnival has made up their corporate mind on this issue.

Others, it seems, are taking advantage... RCCL and Celebrity are going to be doing reduced deposits for Cruise Critic groups only...

Huge bummer...

:(

Here is the email group leaders recieved this morning from the cruise critic TA.

Carnival's New Group Deposit Policy and Its Impact on You

Effective November 1, 2010 for all existing and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010 so you can maintain your reservation number. If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established.

Without a booking number you will have NO visibility into your reservation on Carnival's website and ANY previously secured modifications to your booking will also CANCEL, including but not limited to the following:

- secured dining times (i.e. early, late or anytime dining)

- booked shore excursions

- completed Funpass

- submitted coupons, Funship Dollars or Future Cruise Certificates

- applied stockholder onboard credit

- purchased Bon Voyage items

We have attached a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing you of these new policy changes being imposed and enforced by Carnival. In addition, you may view the Group Deposit policy and FAQs on Carnival's website goccl.com and select the link in the bottom left hand corner titled Group Deposit Policy under the Latest News & Updates section.

We at ****** fully understand the confusion and concern that will be associated with Carnival's new Group Deposit Policy. We want you to know that we are dedicated to answering all questions and will handle your reservation in a manner that best suits your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly either by phone or email to address any questions and to advise me how you would like to maintain your reservation. It is your choice as to whether or not you prefer to keep your reduced deposit with Carnival (and forfeit your current reservation number) until the second deposit is due, or if you prefer to maintain your current reservation number by paying the additional deposit prior to November 1, 2010.

I look forward to hearing from you before the November 1, 2010 deadline in order to answer any questions and assist you with securing your reservation.

Someone posted that Johna told him that no discounts to book and could not combine the future cruise certificate OBC with the OBC for booking with the CC group.

No discount to book a CC cruise now, or inducement. Im sorry too, but I fear this might be one more nail if its true...I assume the poster is correct. Up until now you could combine the FCC credit with other OBC.

First it was the ES price better than group prices, then 1As could not be booked thru the CC TA, now these new negatives.. I agree with you, even if Schultz doesnt.

Well, it stinks but Carnival will no longer offer a reduced deposit of $25.00 to book into a CC group cruise. AND if you have one booked already, and the second deposit was due AFTER Nov. 1st. Your complete deposit is due by Nov. 1st, 2010 now.

You have the option of letting your booking cancel, and pay the rest of the deposit when you want to, but you will lose your booking number, dining time, excursions booked. etc.

Carnival will lose a lot of groups by doing this. The GREAT news is that because Carnival dropped the ball, Celebrity, NCL and Royal are all going to start offering the reduced depsoit for their lines!

Oasis/Allure here I come!~:D

Just wondering, where did you get this information? I have been on the Carnival website and didn't see anything there, not that it isn't tucked away in their website somewhere, i just didn't see it. Is this an official word that came down from Carnival management? Just curious, not questioning it being true, would just like to see official word from CCL and maybe the full text of their explanation. I see the info in your second post - is that a quoted letter from management at Carnival? i wonder how much business they will lose as a result?

Just wondering, where did you get this information? I have been on the Carnival website and didn't see anything there, not that it isn't tucked away in their website somewhere, i just didn't see it. Is this an official word that came down from Carnival management? Just curious, not questioning it being true, would just like to see official word from CCL and maybe the full text of their explanation.

The information is correct... I got it from both Carnival and our Cruise Critic TA...

It sucks...

Hi all, I'm a travel agent and we received notice of the change in Carnival's group policies a couple of weeks ago. One of the main reasons they pointed to, was that a $50 deposit doesn't constitute much of a commitment. There were far too many cancellations. This generates extra work, not only for the cruise lines, but for travel agents, who have put time and energy into bookings only to have them cancel and end up with nothing to show for it. It also holds up space that the cruise line could otherwise be selling. In a way, it is a good thing for the customer. If the cruise line has a more accurate accounting of inventory, then it can keep the prices lower (i.e. more available inventory, lower price). The other cruise lines will eventually follow (like the airlines did with baggage fees), but for now, they are taking advantage of the fact that Carnival did it first.

Enjoy...

somehow I don't think this will reduce the number of group cruise threads on Carnival or anywhere else.

It will certainly increase the number of CC groups on the other lines, therefore on their forums.

Yep... that is, indeed, the case.

I've been struggling with this for a bit... I asked about a change but it seems that Carnival has made up their corporate mind on this issue.

Others, it seems, are taking advantage... RCCL and Celebrity are going to be doing reduced deposits for Cruise Critic groups only...

Huge bummer...

You can look at it like a huge bummer...or you can look at it like a real incentive to cruise on other lines and have new experiences. I realize that there are people that will never cruise outside of Carnival, and with good reason, but I also really love cruising on Royal as well. I never tried starting a group on Royal because they didn't offer the reduced deposit. Now they will, and so I am going to try organizing a group.

Of course, lets all admit that the group prices on Carnival are a lot more attractive than Royal or Celebrity, but I am seeing the prices come down on the Oasis so I am going to give it a try. :D

Well, it stinks but Carnival will no longer offer a reduced deposit of $25.00 to book into a CC group cruise. :D

I guess I fail to see why a reduced deposit is a big deal. It's not like they're giving away the $25. It's a pay me now, pay me later.....

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

Our ongoing goal is to find ways to make the partnership we have with you more beneficial than ever. Part of this includes finding ways to help you maximize the opportunities you have to sell our product. It's good for you, and it's good for us!

After taking a close look at how our inventory is held, we learned that a great deal of it is tied up in FIT and group bookings that are in penalty period. When taking an even closer look, we found that in many cases, the amount it would cost the traveler to cancel in the 50% and 75% cancellation period was actually LESS than the initial deposit they put down.

As you can see, this just doesn't add up and simply doesn't strengthen the way either of us does business. Rather than have penalty amounts decrease closer to the sailing, amounts should be increasing. That ensures your sale is more secure and it ensures that we have enough open space for you to sell.

Therefore, we will be introducing a new Cancellation Policy for all new FIT and Group business effective September 11, 2010 whereby the cancellation penalty will be the higher of the two amounts between the deposit or 50%/75% penalty window.

For example, if a cancellation occurs during the 50% of the Total Fare penalty window and the 50% penalty is less than the deposit, the cancellation penalty will be the higher deposit amount.

Hi all, I'm a travel agent and we received notice of the change in Carnival's group policies a couple of weeks ago. One of the main reasons they pointed to, was that a $50 deposit doesn't constitute much of a commitment. There were far too many cancellations. This generates extra work, not only for the cruise lines, but for travel agents, who have put time and energy into bookings only to have them cancel and end up with nothing to show for it. It also holds up space that the cruise line could otherwise be selling. In a way, it is a good thing for the customer. If the cruise line has a more accurate accounting of inventory, then it can keep the prices lower (i.e. more available inventory, lower price). The other cruise lines will eventually follow (like the airlines did with baggage fees), but for now, they are taking advantage of the fact that Carnival did it first.

Actually, Royal didn't offer cruise critic groups a reduced deposit before now. They, as well as Celebrity and NCL are doing the reduced deposit for Cruise Critic only (If I read it right).

I think it really stinks that carnival is breaking the contract made between them and cruise critic for the groups already booked and deposited. They offered a 25.00 dollar reduced deposit for the groups already booked, and they should honor their commitment.

We always tend to book cruises on the spur of the moment, but last month booked a CCL cruise for the week of Thanksgiving. I think our initial deposit was $50.00 per person.

So am I understanding correctly that for a CC group, the deposit would have been $25.00 per person, not $50.00? If so, that doesn't seem like a big difference to me. :confused:

Actually, Royal didn't offer cruise critic groups a reduced deposit before now. They, as well as Celebrity and NCL are doing the reduced deposit for Cruise Critic only (If I read it right).

I think it really stinks that carnival is breaking the contract made between them and cruise critic for the groups already booked and deposited. They offered a 25.00 dollar reduced deposit for the groups already booked, and they should honor their commitment.

^ This.

We always tend to book cruises on the spur of the moment, but last month booked a CCL cruise for the week of Thanksgiving. I think our initial deposit was $50.00 per person.

So am I understanding correctly that for a CC group, the deposit would have been $25.00 per person, not $50.00? If so, that doesn't seem like a big difference to me. :confused:

I've never seen a $50 per person deposit. The deposits usually start at $100 per person for 3 day cruises, $150 for 4 day cruises, $200 for 5 day cruises, and $250 for 7 day cruises.

I guess I fail to see why a reduced deposit is a big deal. It's not like they're giving away the $25. It's a pay me now, pay me later.....

It's a matter of principle, some people would rather have the money in thier bank account a little longer than putting it into Carnival's. ;)

It just means no rush of early bookings for the group cruises with the 25.00 deposit, people will just wait longer before booking.

I am fairly new to CC and am confused. I am coordinating a CC Meet and Greet on Nov. 22 and they are giving me a room, water and coffee, and no charge. So what is this $25 for?

Your meet and greet will not be affected.

Some people used to take advantage of a $25 deposit instead of the $200 or more per person required when booking.

...One of the main reasons they pointed to, was that a $50 deposit doesn't constitute much of a commitment. There were far too many cancellations. This generates extra work, not only for the cruise lines, but for travel agents, who have put time and energy into bookings only to have them cancel and end up with nothing to show for it. It also holds up space that the cruise line could otherwise be selling.

Bingo. Groups block off groups of cabins that could otherwise be sold to individuals.

One of the things this may indicate is that Carnival bookings are strong enough where they don't have to offer so many incentives. If that is true, cruise prices may be going up.

It just means no rush of early bookings for the group cruises with the 25.00 deposit, people will just wait longer before booking.

If that's the case, it actually may work to Carnival's benefit. Cruises booked very far in advance tend to be cheaper than the same cruises booked closer to sailing. It's not always true, but it seems to be the overall trend.

$50 deposit:confused: For a 7 dayer:confused:

It seems that Carnival is attempting to create a disincentive for group bookings.

Can't say that I blame them. Anything that improves bottom line is a good thing. It's certainly not as if cabins unsold to groups will sail vacant.

I'm liking Gerry Cahill more and more with each passing day.

Someone posted that Johna told him that no discounts to book and could not combine the future cruise certificate OBC with the OBC for booking with the CC group.

No discount to book a CC cruise now, or inducement. Im sorry too, but I fear this might be one more nail if its true...I assume the poster is correct. Up until now you could combine the FCC credit with other OBC.

First it was the ES price better than group prices, then 1As could not be booked thru the CC TA, now these new negatives.. I agree with you, even if Schultz doesnt.

You can still use the future cruise credits with a group cruise. You will be able to send in the certificates once you are fully deposited. This information came from the cruise critic TA.

I am fairly new to CC and am confused. I am coordinating a CC Meet and Greet on Nov. 22 and they are giving me a room, water and coffee, and no charge. So what is this $25 for?

You are not effected by this new rule. If I read it correctly, you are organizing a meet and greet for your sailings ROLL CALL. And that will not cost you anything.

The 25 $ we are speaking of is the deposit Carnival required to book into a cruise critic group sailing.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.......

But, we always book with full deposit to secure the room of our choice, so it wouldn't hurt us any, but I see how it could lessen the CC groups for Carnival and put some business to Royal. We love Royal too.

If Carnival is still cheaper, this probably won't hurt them much. Carnival is really hurting the TA's though in every way they can lately.

Archived