Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

Yeah OK but besides that is the problem that alot of these $25 dollar deposits are just like pool chair hogs? People can reserve their spot

in one case by the pool and in the other in a choice cabin and then decide later to take the spot or not.

Not even. The $25 deposit applies only to double occupancy guaranteed cabins only. Groups I've been on, the first people to book are usually grabbing the aft wraps and aft balconies or singles grabbing the better 1A cabins in all these cases full deposit is required. If you are booking a gty anyway, what's the rush to book?

The only drawback I can see is getting enough cabins booked to be classified a group.

Carnival are rat basterds though for making this change retroactive.

Not even. The $25 deposit applies only to double occupancy guaranteed cabins only. Groups I've been on, the first people to book are usually grabbing the aft wraps and aft balconies or singles grabbing the better 1A cabins in all these cases full deposit is required. If you are booking a gty anyway, what's the rush to book?

The only drawback I can see is getting enough cabins booked to be classified a group.

So ....tell us how you feel:confused:

I sure do wish the person who started these threads had the option to go through and delete the soapbox posts. Nobody here has the right to tell someone how they should be booking their cruise...... The whole point of this thread, as I see it, was to inform everyone of a policy that was being implemented that would affect a fairly large group of CC members who actively book CC group cruises. It further was to point out that many "current" bookings will be affected because Carnival chose to change existing contracts that most of us thought were "binding". Good information that needed to be discussed but didn't need to be diluted by opinions on who should and shouldn't be cruising based on how they make down payments.

Happy cruising to everyone and can't we all just get along!:)

I sure do wish the person who started these threads had the option to go through and delete the soapbox posts. Nobody here has the right to tell someone how they should be booking their cruise...... The whole point of this thread, as I see it, was to inform everyone of a policy that was being implemented that would affect a fairly large group of CC members who actively book CC group cruises. It further was to point out that many "current" bookings will be affected because Carnival chose to change existing contracts that most of us thought were "binding". Good information that needed to be discussed but didn't need to be diluted by opinions on who should and shouldn't be cruising based on how they make down payments.

Nicely put javacruiser.

OK so if its not much difference then why are you having a pissy fit? Again...this "theory" of mine is how I feel...to each his or her own. BUT I feel going on a cruise isnt cheap in most cases so if your stressing over freakin 25 bucks you probably shouldnt be taking a cruise anyway....AGAIN, this is MY .02 cents. When I go on a cruise I do it to get away and to enjoy myself, not to nickel and dime and stress over a few bucks. If I want to go on a cruise and it costs 1300 per person and they want 25% up front...I have no issue at all paying that.

First of all, was I having a "pissy fit?" No, I don't think so, just pointing out that your theory didn't make much sense.

I'm not stressing over $25 -- I'm stressing over $1000. I enjoyed taking group cruises cos for my family of four it allowed me to book a cruise for only $100 and I could make payments. I usually had it paid off before final payment anyway. But now I will have to come up with $1000 for a deposit, which is more difficult for me. I'm glad you can whip out your credit card and pay whatever you want on a cruise; I don't have that luxury. Mine are carefully budgeted. Even though I obviously make less money than you, I still believe my family deserves a vacation. And as many have pointed out already, cruising is a great vacation deal.

I understand your point of view. But you can't even empathize for a minute for those of us that it's an issue for?

I sure do wish the person who started these threads had the option to go through and delete the soapbox posts. Nobody here has the right to tell someone how they should be booking their cruise......

What do you mean "the right"? This is a message board and people give opinions and advice, which you are always free to ignore.

First of all, was I having a "pissy fit?" No, I don't think so, just pointing out that your theory didn't make much sense.

I'm not stressing over $25 -- I'm stressing over $1000. I enjoyed taking group cruises cos for my family of four it allowed me to book a cruise for only $100 and I could make payments. I usually had it paid off before final payment anyway. But now I will have to come up with $1000 for a deposit, which is more difficult for me. I'm glad you can whip out your credit card and pay whatever you want on a cruise; I don't have that luxury. Mine are carefully budgeted. Even though I obviously make less money than you, I still believe my family deserves a vacation. And as many have pointed out already, cruising is a great vacation deal.

I understand your point of view. But you can't even empathize for a minute for those of us that it's an issue for?

So what is stopping you from gathering up the grand and then booking.

I'm not trying to "tell you how to book your cruise", I'm just curious what you perceive as the difference.

So what is stopping you from gathering up the grand and then booking.

I'm not trying to "tell you how to book your cruise", I'm just curious what you perceive as the difference.

Ship addict is on Randy's Magic cruise Dec 4, 2011 I believe ....its those CC group cruises, already put together before the TA had to stop discounting and first had to up the prices offered (new discounting rule) and now has to go back to people asking for a full deposit in the next month and a half.

Im not sure she said she isnt booked. I think she is reacting to people telling her if she cant afford the full deposit she shouldnt be cruising comments.

Ship addict is on Randy's Magic cruise Dec 4, 2011 I believe ....its those CC group cruises, already put together before the TA had to stop discounting and first had to up the prices offered (new discounting rule) and now has to go back to people asking for a full deposit in the next month and a half.

Im not sure she said she isnt booked. I think she is reacting to people telling her if she cant afford the full deposit she shouldnt be cruising comments.

Well that makes sense.

Well maybe the TA should wave the onerous $50 cancellation fee so those who can't afford the full deposit can cancel and Rebook later. Just sayin'.

OK OK........When I heard about this coming, I knew people would get upset and I didn't like it at first either..........but really, so many pick their own cabins and pay full deposit anyway.....I will look at the positive and say that will mean less I will have to pay later.....AND, as probably the one who has had the most CC groups, this will eliminate the ones not completely serious but just paying the $25 to later cancel.....and this has happened ALOT over the years.....so I'm gonna think positive here. :D

Right. And that wasn't preaching? I want my soapbox back, thank you.

My philosophy regarding this whole kerfuffle: Just remember that we always have a choice. We like. We dislike. We pay. We don't pay. We book. We don't book. What did I miss?

Here is the email group leaders recieved this morning from the cruise critic TA.

Carnival's New Group Deposit Policy and Its Impact on You

Effective November 1, 2010 for all existing and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010 so you can maintain your reservation number. If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established.

Without a booking number you will have NO visibility into your reservation on Carnival's website and ANY previously secured modifications to your booking will also CANCEL, including but not limited to the following:

- secured dining times (i.e. early, late or anytime dining)

- booked shore excursions

- completed Funpass

- submitted coupons, Funship Dollars or Future Cruise Certificates

- applied stockholder onboard credit

- purchased Bon Voyage items

We have attached a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing you of these new policy changes being imposed and enforced by Carnival. In addition, you may view the Group Deposit policy and FAQs on Carnival's website goccl.com and select the link in the bottom left hand corner titled Group Deposit Policy under the Latest News & Updates section.

We at ****** fully understand the confusion and concern that will be associated with Carnival's new Group Deposit Policy. We want you to know that we are dedicated to answering all questions and will handle your reservation in a manner that best suits your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly either by phone or email to address any questions and to advise me how you would like to maintain your reservation. It is your choice as to whether or not you prefer to keep your reduced deposit with Carnival (and forfeit your current reservation number) until the second deposit is due, or if you prefer to maintain your current reservation number by paying the additional deposit prior to November 1, 2010.

I look forward to hearing from you before the November 1, 2010 deadline in order to answer any questions and assist you with securing your reservation.

If that were true they would not be changing the policy for the best way to handle my reservation is for me to pay the additonal deposit when it was previously due.

Agree 100% (with highlighted red)

Bingo. Groups block off groups of cabins that could otherwise be sold to individuals.

One of the things this may indicate is that Carnival bookings are strong enough where they don't have to offer so many incentives. If that is true, cruise prices may be going up.

I doubt that, it is more likely they feel that cabins are going empty because of "late" cancellations that don't leave enough time to fill them. I personally think that is a mistake as people will now simply hold off booking unitl they feel they have to. This will actually lead to lower prices if the cruise lines do not see the ships filling as fast as the used to.

OK OK........When I heard about this coming, I knew people would get upset and I didn't like it at first either..........but really, so many pick their own cabins and pay full deposit anyway.....I will look at the positive and say that will mean less I will have to pay later.....AND, as probably the one who has had the most CC groups, this will eliminate the ones not completely serious but just paying the $25 to later cancel.....and this has happened ALOT over the years.....so I'm gonna think positive here. :D

that happens with group cruises?? :eek::p:D;)

Right. And that wasn't preaching? I want my soapbox back, thank you.

My philosophy regarding this whole kerfuffle: Just remember that we always have a choice. We like. We dislike. We pay. We don't pay. We book. We don't book. What did I miss?

You missed that some people are already booked, now say for that family of 4, they will either lose $100 or have to come up with $900 by Nov 1st, that Carnival previously agree was due next year.

How is that a choice ... that Carnival is breaking the contract they previously agreed to... and the pax either has to scramble to come up with more $$ or lose $100 ($25 X 4 as ship addict said). $100 may be nothing to some of you to lose ..it would be to many.

I find that people who are not affected, find it much easier to get up on soap boxes how its not important to them so it shouldnt be important to others that Carnival is doing this retroactively.

You missed that some people are already booked, now say for that family of 4, they will either lose $100 or have to come up with $900 by Nov 1st, that Carnival previously agree was due next year.

How is that a choice ... that Carnival is breaking the contract they previously agreed to... and the pax either has to scramble to come up with more $$ or lose $100 ($25 X 4 as ship addict said). $100 may be nothing to some of you to lose ..it would be to many.

I find that people who are not affected, find it much easier to get up on soap boxes how its not important to them so it shouldnt be important to others that Carnival is doing this retroactively.

I totally agree. For my Dec. 2011 cruise I had to pay full deposit as I'm sailing solo. OK that is the rule I'm playing under and I accept it. However for the cruise I have planned for April 2012 I was not anticipating having to come up with the additional funds RIGHT NOW and I'm only thinking of myself. For families this new policy and it's retroactive effective application is a kick in the pants and I would bet that a lot of them will have to cancel until they can come up with the additional funds.

that happens with group cruises?? :eek::p:D;)

DUH :p

I agree the retroactive thing is not fair and feel for Ship Addict but like so many policy changes throughout our world they won't make everyone happy......I'm gonna have to dig deep too with so much going on. :(

My daughter's wedding party booked a group cruise for next spring almost a year in advance to take advantage of the group amenities and lower deposits being offered at the time. All of them are under 25 years old and need time to save money for their full deposits. Now that the rules have changed, several of them are going to cancel and re-book next year when they have enough to pay for the entire deposit. So basically her group has unraveled, which doesn't bother us particularly, but our TA should have told us about the new rules and she didn't.

Furthermore, when I emailed her after reading about this on Cruise Critic last night, she said that nothing has really changed and please don't cancel. Then she added, "I would say it would not be a bad thing for any of the cabins to pay the 2nd deposit early and secure the reservation now."

I agree. I don't do group cruises (must cruise last minute). I find this whole from a $25 deposit to $50 deposit thing, at least, amusing. Why anyone would let a teeny tiny deposit doubled in size have any bearing on what line, ship, itinerary, or group they would cruise with is hilarious to me. :D

Its generally from 25 to 250 or 50 to 500 for a cabin

Been reading through this whole thread (not all that fun) and reading that Carnival is doing this because they are heartless, money grabbing b**ards.

Yeah OK but besides that is the problem that alot of these $25 dollar deposits are just like pool chair hogs? People can reserve their spot

in one case by the pool and in the other in a choice cabin and then decide later to take the spot or not. Perhaps Carnival has done the math

(I'm sure they have) and noticed that these group cruise people aren't pulling thir weight profit wise?

What with group perks and a bunch of smart CCers maxing their own benefits, perhaps Carnival sees that this is a very low profit group.

Flame away.

I agree, Carnival thinks they can do with out them and they may get their wish.

I've never seen a $50 per person deposit. The deposits usually start at $100 per person for 3 day cruises, $150 for 4 day cruises, $200 for 5 day cruises, and $250 for 7 day cruises.

This is a slight bummer!

I know that Carnival is a business, but it seem lately they are making some unwise decisions that will cause cruisers to look at other cruiselines.

I know earlier this year I was with a group cruise (not a Cruise Critic) that one of the local radio stations have yearly. They also had a low deposit of $25.

It was a great way for someone who want to book a cruise to do so.

The only fault that I had with group cruises were the pricing was often overall higher in cabin pricing.

This will reduce the number of Cruise Critic Carnival cruises, but since other lines are offering the reduce deposits, expect to see more offerings.

Archived