Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

If there are two people in the room, 2 people pay the deposit. If there are 4 people in the room then all four pay it.

I looked into booking a group cruise through Royal right when the Oasis came out. I was told we each had to pay the full deposit. No reduced deposit at all.

What are you talking about? Please explain.

RCCL has two deposit programs, one is no deposit and you can reserve upto 16 cabins the other is $ 50 per cabin and you can hold upto 50 cabins.... and you still get amenity points, no as good as carnival's but they are available.... So the reduced deposit program you mention in your original post isnt just for CC groups...

Just to make sure that this opinion is expressed in the middle of all this tempest-in-a-teapot outrage...

... this makes no difference to me and won't matter to at least 98% of Carnival passengers. But my sympathies to those to whom this is really important.

As for "honoring" the contract - there's probably a provision in the group booking that allows either party (Carnival or the group) to cancel up to a certain time before sailing. If groups can cancel under such a term (and I'm sure they do), why shouldn't Carnival have the same benefit of the contract?

This policy is for all group cruises that Carnival sets up with all TAs not just CC group cruises.

I don't do CC group cruises, not giving my business to a competitor. I am a TA and also have groups booked on Carnival ships. This new policy will hurt both the cruisers I have booked and me too.

Example of how this hurts my group clients. They always cruise as a fairly large group. Had a Carnival Cruise leaving on Sept 12 this year. They found one in late August that they really like for Sept 2011 (next year) but really didn't want to or couldn't put out another $500 per couple just 3 weeks before sailing on this year's cruise.

The $25.00 deposit allowed them to guarantee space on next year's cruise (so that there were enough cabins available for the entire group) and allow them a bit of "recovery" time money wise before having to put up the rest of the deposit monies.

It also allowed me to choose amenities for the group based on the amenity points for that sailing assigned by Carnival. As a cruise gets closer to sailing time and/or fills up faster, Carnival can, and usually does, decreases the number of amenity points assigned to that sailing. Less amenity points means less of a perk for the cruiser.

Especially now that TAs are restricted to no discounting for anyone and the new limited policy as to what a TA can personally give a client on Carnival sailings as a perk/incentive to book. We mostly have to now depend on Carnival's assigned amenity points. They go down and what is there left to offer a client as a thanks for booking incentive...not much.

So, I also feel that the old contracts should be honored and any new group contracts booking after the 11/01 date should fall under the realm of the new regulation. Hummm, isn't this the same as breaking a contract for any other service in the public sector with the ramifications that come with not honoring contracts? Since I am not a lawyer and not well versed on the legal issue I am probably wrong but it just seems it should be the same.

Exactly! The reduced group cruises allows me to have 3 cruises booked at one time. Only once did I have to cancel and forefit my deposit. My loss!

Maybe it will cut down on those annoying OFFICIAL GROUP CRUISE threads. :rolleyes:

I've loved every single one of my "official group cruises" :p

BTW...what's gonna happen with John Heald's "official" bloggers cruises???

As someone who sails on group cruises, yes, Carnival is "taking back" cabins quicker

a higher deposit means people really want to go

the price is still lower on Carnival

and while lines like NCL would work for the loosely knit "cruise critic" groups that are mostly booking togethr for the price and maybe a meet and greet or one cocktail party, NCL would be really hard to make work

for a single's cruise where people mix and mingle at the (late seating) assigned tables (we only sit at an assigned seat the first night)

Trying to figure out who wants to eat in what specialty restaurant and getting tables for large groups would be a pain

RCI works pretty good for groups but the price is higher

Princess and HAL are ok for groups but again higher price and "deader" nightlife

I do think the policy shows that Carnival has strong bookings

and is not "hurting" for customers

good for Carnival

ARE YOU LISTENING CARNIVAL???

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just booked my first cruise using the $25 deposit and I like it because I'm leaving on another cruise in Nov and want to save my money for that. With the discounted deposit I'm able to hold my cabin till I can pay it off.

I give this a BIG thumbs down!!!!!!

RCCL has two deposit programs, one is no deposit and you can reserve upto 16 cabins the other is $ 50 per cabin and you can hold upto 50 cabins.... and you still get amenity points, no as good as carnival's but they are available.... So the reduced deposit program you mention in your original post isnt just for CC groups...

Wow! I had no idea. I wish I had known about this a year or so ago. I will check it out. Thanks.

Exactly! The reduced group cruises allows me to have 3 cruises booked at one time. Only once did I have to cancel and forefit my deposit. My loss!

I've loved every single one of my "official group cruises" :p

BTW...what's gonna happen with John Heald's "official" bloggers cruises???

I don't think the Bloggers cruise was reduced deposit was it? From what I understood, people booking this cruise were doing so with the full deposit required at the time of booking.

Not really sure what the big deal is. Who wants to ONLY leave a 25.00 deposit anyway? If you can only afford to put down 25.00 then maybe you shouldnt be cruising anyway? :D

I read this entire thread. I read at least a dozen people say the reduced deposit is exactly how they like booking their cruises. So to answer your question. A lot of people want to pay the 25.00 deposit.

Have you ever noticed how many Carnival CC groups there are vs. Royal groups, and NCL groups? The reason is simple. Because Carnival was offering a reduced deposit. So again, there are a lot of people who like the 25.00 deposit offered by Carnival. Now that Carnival isn't offering that anymore, and the other lines are, I think you will see a lot more CC group cruises on the other lines.

As far as people canceling because there is only 50 bucks (for 2 people) on the line, I don't think that is the norm. I was the CC group leader for a cruise last Feb. 67 cabins booked, 64 actually went. I think that is really good. If I paid the full deposit, I would still get my money back so there is no more incentive for me not to cancel having paid the full deposit than if I paid 25 bucks per person.

As far as your comment "If you can only afford to put down 25.00 then maybe you shouldnt be cruising anyway?" Several people have already explained why the $25.00 deposit works so well for them.

1. allows more than one booking at a time

2. guarantees you the low group price and a cabin on the ship

3. some people (more rather than not) have to save up for their vacation. They could put down $25.00 per person and be booked, then make payments throughout the waiting period before their cruise. It's the way they can pay it off without killing their household budget. And knowing they are booked is exciting!

I don't think the nasty comments made by you and others would make them feel very good. Do you?

sorry you feel my comments are "nasty" lol. Last I checked this forum is here so people can voice their thoughts. Those are my thoughts....some will agree with me, others may not. I personally think 25.00 deposit is pointless. I think it should be AT LEAST 25% of the fare to hold the cabin. But again thats just my .02 cents. I am not rich...I dont make a fortune yet if I want to go on a cruise...I book it and I go. I have 4 cruises booked currently, 2 of those are paid off and 2 others I put a deposit down on of $500.00 or more. Sure its nice to put some money down and work on paying it off but 25.00...I just dont see a point in that.

As far as your comment "If you can only afford to put down 25.00 then maybe you shouldnt be cruising anyway?" Several people have already explained why the $25.00 deposit works so well for them.

1. allows more than one booking at a time

2. guarantees you the low group price and a cabin on the ship

3. some people (more rather than not) have to save up for their vacation. They could put down $25.00 per person and be booked, then make payments throughout the waiting period before their cruise. It's the way they can pay it off without killing their household budget. And knowing they are booked is exciting!

Group cruises require final payment earlier than individual bookings. If people are on such tight budgets, I think it might be better for them to book as individuals and postpone paying for the bulk of the cruise as long as possible.

Really, it isn't Carnival's job to help people budget for cruises. Households being fiscally responsible - what a concept!

sorry you feel my comments are "nasty" lol. Last I checked this forum is here so people can voice their thoughts. Those are my thoughts....some will agree with me, others may not. I personally think 25.00 deposit is pointless. I think it should be AT LEAST 25% of the fare to hold the cabin. But again thats just my .02 cents. I am not rich...I dont make a fortune yet if I want to go on a cruise...I book it and I go. I have 4 cruises booked currently, 2 of those are paid off and 2 others I put a deposit down on of $500.00 or more. Sure its nice to put some money down and work on paying it off but 25.00...I just dont see a point in that.

There are plenty of cruises out there that are only $190 p/p. So by your theory, people should put down at least 25% for a deposit, which would be,what? $50? not much difference in the $25 is it? So I'm not sure your theory holds much water.

Group cruises require final payment earlier than individual bookings. If people are on such tight budgets, I think it might be better for them to book as individuals and postpone paying for the bulk of the cruise as long as possible.

Really, it isn't Carnival's job to help people budget for cruises. Households being fiscally responsible - what a concept!

Thanks for the budgeting lesson Dad.

Really, I'll run my household finances the way I want, and I will certainly let you do yours the way you want. Let's not judge each other for how we do it, okay?

If Carnival wants to change the policy - going forward - all the power to them but to change it for existing groups and for people who were anticipating more time to get their full deposit together it stinks and isn't right. Two parties to a contract means both have to agree to changes. No unilateral changes by either party. Guess that contract only works in Carnival's favor!:rolleyes:

This is what bothers me about this.

Another reason to never use a travel agent. Book direct.

Ne

Not all TA's charge a penalty over and above what the cruise lines charge.

I believe CC groups TA's do have an additional cancellation penalty. :rolleyes:

The final payment date for individual and group bookings is the same. Some TA's require an earlier final payment date, as do CC TA's, just because they want to. :p

I guess I fail to see why a reduced deposit is a big deal. It's not like they're giving away the $25. It's a pay me now, pay me later.....

We always tend to book cruises on the spur of the moment, but last month booked a CCL cruise for the week of Thanksgiving. I think our initial deposit was $50.00 per person.

So am I understanding correctly that for a CC group, the deposit would have been $25.00 per person, not $50.00? If so, that doesn't seem like a big difference to me. :confused:

I agree. I don't do group cruises (must cruise last minute). I find this whole from a $25 deposit to $50 deposit thing, at least, amusing. Why anyone would let a teeny tiny deposit doubled in size have any bearing on what line, ship, itinerary, or group they would cruise with is hilarious to me. :D

There are plenty of cruises out there that are only $190 p/p. So by your theory, people should put down at least 25% for a deposit, which would be,what? $50? not much difference in the $25 is it? So I'm not sure your theory holds much water.

OK so if its not much difference then why are you having a pissy fit? Again...this "theory" of mine is how I feel...to each his or her own. BUT I feel going on a cruise isnt cheap in most cases so if your stressing over freakin 25 bucks you probably shouldnt be taking a cruise anyway....AGAIN, this is MY .02 cents. When I go on a cruise I do it to get away and to enjoy myself, not to nickel and dime and stress over a few bucks. If I want to go on a cruise and it costs 1300 per person and they want 25% up front...I have no issue at all paying that.

Is true. What can a travel agent provide that a PVP can't. Why add a middle man, book direct.

I use a wholesale club TA and I'm getting a $200 gift card from them. I got one for my last cruise too.

This is unfortunate for the loyal and large cruise critic carnival groups. It's possible that, in this economy, more people back out than in the past. As we can all see by the new ES program, backouts are now a concerted focus for Carnival.

I doubt this has anything to do with the heald blog. That's a non-starter. This decision relates entirely to economics, as it should. I am not a member of any of the strong groups here. But I hope your groups remain strong. You seem to love CC, Carnival, and your group cruises and this shouldn't change that.

Is true. What can a travel agent provide that a PVP can't. Why add a middle man, book direct.

What can a PVP provide that the website can't?

OH...I got this one..."Outdated information"...LOL

Why use a PVP when you can book online for the same price...or in my experience, cheaper pricing than what I was offered over the phone. :eek::p:rolleyes:

Been reading through this whole thread (not all that fun) and reading that Carnival is doing this because they are heartless, money grabbing b**ards.

Yeah OK but besides that is the problem that alot of these $25 dollar deposits are just like pool chair hogs? People can reserve their spot

in one case by the pool and in the other in a choice cabin and then decide later to take the spot or not. Perhaps Carnival has done the math

(I'm sure they have) and noticed that these group cruise people aren't pulling thir weight profit wise?

What with group perks and a bunch of smart CCers maxing their own benefits, perhaps Carnival sees that this is a very low profit group.

Flame away.

Archived