Maple Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup

EVALUATOR

I think I know the answer.:( But Mrs. E asked me to find out.

On the Oasis of the Seas Johnny Rockets breakfast menu, it shows the pancakes being served with maple syrup.

Now is that real maple syrup, or the fake corn sugar HFCS crap?

Does she need to rum runner some of the real stuff on board if she wants true maple syrup with her pancakes?:)

I think I know the answer.:( But Mrs. E asked me to find out.

On the Oasis of the Seas Johnny Rockets breakfast menu, it shows the pancakes being served with maple syrup.

Now is that real maple syrup, or the fake corn sugar HFCS crap?

Does she need to rum runner some of the real stuff on board if she wants true maple syrup with her pancakes?:)

Haven't been on her yet...6 more weeks, but knowing the cost difference in the 2 and what I have previously had it is not REAL maple syrup, I have never seen that on any cruise. She can bring a bottle on, she doesn't need to smuggle it...I bring my own salad dressing and they don't say anything about it.

Haven't been on her yet...6 more weeks, but knowing the cost difference in the 2 and what I have previously had it is not REAL maple syrup, I have never seen that on any cruise. She can bring a bottle on, she doesn't need to smuggle it...I bring my own salad dressing and they don't say anything about it.

We used to make maple syrup when we lived in Vermont. Ran out of it a couple years ago.

We visited Vermont this summer.

$19.00 a quart for the real stuff. YIKES.:eek:

I remember once, a few years ago, they had the little packs of real maple syrup in the windjammer. But that was so long ago.

On the Johnny Rockets menu, it said maple syrup, and at the bottom of the menu it said "Quality... essential in every detail and ingregient of our food"

Just wishful thinking I fear. I just hope I don't find a small leaking bottle of real maple syrup stuffed between a pair of socks tucked neatly away in my dress shoes. I would hate to go to the MDR barefoot on formal night.

People ask the most strangest questions. Cant live without "real maple syrup?

Well, since she has terminal cancer, and is very careful about the things she eats, and she asked me to check and see, I thought it was OK to ask.

Do I have your permission to ask the question?

Sort of OT, but I just read a few days ago that the Corn Refiners Association, tired of the beating High Fructose Corn Syrup takes in the press, petitioned the FDA to be allowed to change the name to "Corn Sugar".

So, before long you may have to be on the lookout for Corn Sugar.

Don’t know your syrup answer. But…. Sorry to hijack – but can you show me where to find a JR breakfast menu?

Thanks, M

Here is a link for the JR breakfast menu...http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Johnny%20Rockets%20Breakfast%20Menu.pdf

I believe it is just good for Oasis and Allure.

Sort of OT, but I just read a few days ago that the Corn Refiners Association, tired of the beating High Fructose Corn Syrup takes in the press, petitioned the FDA to be allowed to change the name to "Corn Sugar".

So, before long you may have to be on the lookout for Corn Sugar.

Yes, but it sounds like that petition request might be denied.:cool:

I actually prefer a little something mixed with my maple syrup...it's just toooooo thin...I like my syrup to have a little "body".

What is on the ship is NOT the real thing.

For thicker syrup, do NOT heat it. Real Vermonters don't - we use it straight from the fridge. Puts a nice little crust on hot pancakes too :p

Well, since she has terminal cancer, and is very careful about the things she eats, and she asked me to check and see, I thought it was OK to ask.

Do I have your permission to ask the question?

Mrs. E, First only God knows about terminal situation for myself I was told over 8 yrs ago I have 6 months to live so doctors are not as smart as God (although some may argue). Second we "smuggle" real Vermont Maple syrup with us. We use our shrink wrap machine for our freezer meats and pack in our luggage. We also gave the captain a jug on our last cruise. Remember always insist on REAL VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP and keep our family farms going. God Bless.:):)

People ask the most strangest questions. Cant live without "real maple syrup?

I hardly think it's your business if Mrs. E wants real maple syrup. If you can't contribute to the conversation, the snarky comments are unnecessary.

For thicker syrup, do NOT heat it. Real Vermonters don't - we use it straight from the fridge. Puts a nice little crust on hot pancakes too :p

OMG...I can feel my blood thickening as I type...

We visit friends in Vermont and he not only heats it up, (I don't like it hot), he also adds a stick of butter when he heats it...

Sorry about your wifes cancer.

This talk about syrup reminded me of last weeks Mad Men.

Don wakes up and his daughter made him french toast. He takes a bite. He asks her what she put on it. She says Ms Butterworth and shows him the bottle. Its a bottle of Rum. He tells her " Read labels" and keeps eating.

Mrs. E, First only God knows about terminal situation for myself I was told over 8 yrs ago I have 6 months to live so doctors are not as smart as God (although some may argue).

Praise God for your healing. I was thinking the same thing myself when I initially saw post #10, but confessions of faith and praise are rarely welcomed on this board, so I said nothing until now when I read your post.

God bless. :)

Mrs. E, First only God knows about terminal situation for myself I was told over 8 yrs ago I have 6 months to live so doctors are not as smart as God (although some may argue). Second we "smuggle" real Vermont Maple syrup with us. We use our shrink wrap machine for our freezer meats and pack in our luggage. We also gave the captain a jug on our last cruise. Remember always insist on REAL VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP and keep our family farms going. God Bless.:):)

Sorry about your wifes cancer.

This talk about syrup reminded me of last weeks Mad Men.

Don wakes up and his daughter made him french toast. He takes a bite. He asks her what she put on it. She says Ms Butterworth and shows him the bottle. Its a bottle of Rum. He tells her " Read labels" and keeps eating.

Praise God for your healing. I was thinking the same thing myself when I initially saw post #10, but confessions of faith and praise are rarely welcomed on this board, so I said nothing until now when I read your post.

God bless. :)

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even thin of sealing it in the foodsaver bags.

And thanks for all the well wishes.

And maybe I should have used the term inoperable instead of terminal.

We are now where near ready to quit the fight.

We have been on 16 cruises since she was 1st diagnosed and have 3 more pending.

... he not only heats it up, he also adds a stick of butter when he heats it...

Paula Dean would be proud!

There is nothing like REAL maple syrup! If your wife wants "the good stuff", by all means take a bottle or jug along! Beware, other cruisers will be lining up at your table begging for it!:D Have a great cruise!

Archived